Ridgeway Tops Dandy Dozen

rhsplaya55

The poll itself doesn't mean much as it lumps everyone together and most of the teams in it never even play each other. The poll is the VERY SUBJECTIVE opinion of [one or more of the Commercial Appeal's sportswriters. But, as KWC says, it is fun to talk about! I think the players pay attn. to the poll just to see who is there but I don't think they really take it seriously.

Congrats to Ridgeway for getting off to a great start...let's keep it rolling in the last half of the season!

Thats what I've been thinking. They can get people from all of the media to do their pick'em contest but most likely do this over a drink on the way home.

It is fun to talk about and the opinions that are posted here is why I wish it was seperated. Not going to happen so we go on.

I hear there is only one thing standing in the way of a CBHS-R/way game next year. I wish it could have happened this year with this team. Don't know about next year with so many people leaving after this year.

As for all the talk about scheduleing, I like the 2 out of town trips. I think it is good for the team and good for the players to know what it's like to travel in case any of them go to the next level. With the 7 division games that only leaves one to play with.

Now for that "Subpar" crap. I find it hard to believe that a coach would say this about a coach with Cooley's record. Must have been a bad misunderstanding of a statement. He and a zillion other coaches run first, play hard defense then think about passing doesn't make him subpar. In his case it has made him a winner.

Edited by PAPAWOFBOO

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cbhs60 i guess since locastro has all those state championships oh wait thats right he has not won one yet. i keep forgetting that, no knock on locastro but you make him look like an idiot and if he would read your post he probably would not let you back into his locker room. so until you learn to have respect for someone good coach or not shoot your mouth cause lacastro would love to have cooleys record by the time he is ready to retire.

Ridgeway is legit, I have not seen their new Qb though. When they had thier starting Qb, they should have been #1 to begin with. The jamboree is not a measure of a good team. I believe Ridgeway would beat Melrose in a real game for sure. I am not a ridgeway fan but I have seen both teams play, so I am not a bias ridgeway fan. Also, White Station and Wooddale are way underrated. These teams, especially White Station are quality teams with great offenses. Move them above Melrose and ECS as well.

Ridgeway is legit, I have not seen their new Qb though. When they had thier starting Qb, they should have been #1 to begin with. The jamboree is not a measure of a good team. I believe Ridgeway would beat Melrose in a real game for sure. I am not a ridgeway fan but I have seen both teams play, so I am not a bias ridgeway fan. Also, White Station and Wooddale are way underrated. These teams, especially White Station are quality teams with great offenses. Move them above Melrose and ECS as well.

Lasal2000,

I strongly disagree with you, regarding the Ridgeway/Melrose issues (surely, you must have known this response was coming <_< ).

I AM biased towards Ridgeway (I'm more a Ridgeway fan than any other team in Memphis).... It is my unbiased opinion, however, that Melrose warranted being ranked ahead of Ridgeway, at the beginning of the season. Ridgeway should not have been ranked ahead of Melrose or MUS, for that matter.

Here are the facts: Melrose flat out OWNED Ridgeway EVERY time they played, real game or partial game...it didn't matter what the occasion or how good Ridgeway was. They also owned them again during the jamboree, this year. Aditionally, Melrose played for the 4A State Championship, 2 consecutive times, and have a long history of going deep into the playoffs, regularly.... Therefore, any reasonable, astute student of the game would've had to rank Melrose ahead of Ridgeway.

I have no problem with Ridgeway being ranked #1 now, ahead of Melrose, in the Commercial Appeal. Ridgeway has a great team. They're a bona fide threat to win the 5A State Championship. They'd be an even bigger threat to win it should they develop a complimentary passing game, IMO.

Do I think Ridgeway could beat Melrose now? No. I still don't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click this link. Then read post #39, for a more specific basis of my conclusion:

http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtop...37525&st=32

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally, White Station might be underrated but Woodale is not. Both teams have great offenses. Woodale's defense is very porous....WS' defense is still a bit suspect, in my mind, despite giving up only 14 pts to Whitehaven. For this important reason, neither deserves to be ranked ahead of Melrose (I don't know enough about ECS..).

Look, here's my football philosophy: Offense sell tickets. DEFENSE wins Championships.

To me, football (or any sport, for that matter) it's all about one thing and one thing only: Winning Championships!

In other words, I don't care how outstanding a team's offense is....if their defense is porous, then they're a longshot to win a Championship on ANY level! Therefore, I rate teams (first and foremost) based on their ability to stop the other team--its defensive strength; its bona fide chances of winning a Championship.

In conclusion, Woodale is not UNDERrated; If anything, they're OVERrated! I'm rerserving judgement on WS, for now...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go Ridgeway. Go Melrose. Memphis needs 2 more State Football Titles!

Edited by TraderB

locastro has only been the head coach for like 6 years....

its ok though, maybe we'll jus wait till Ridgeway and CBHS play, maybe that will answer some questions

I'am sure Coach Locastro is a good coach,I know Coach Cooley is a good coach. Iam sure if both was to get on here and read all this crap,they would both laugh and think its a shame that poeple dont have anything better to do.As far as your questions being answered,if you knew anything you would know this is Coach Cooley's last year at Ridgeway.

Lasal2000,

Do I think Ridgeway could beat Melrose now? No. I still don't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go Ridgeway. Go Melrose. Memphis needs 2 more State Football Titles![/b]

I wouldn't bet on it and would pay double price to see them play.

I'm looking forward to a looooong day of football in about 9 weeks. I sure want to see 2 games that day............

I wouldn't bet on it and would pay double price to see them play.

I'm looking forward to a looooong day of football in about 9 weeks. I sure want to see 2 games that day............

PapaOfBoo,

It's too bad that we won't get to see Melrose & Ridgeway square off, and settle this score. That game would definitely command a premium on tickets & bring in some big bucks.

I too am keeping my fingers crossed for a loooong day of football, that Championship day in Murfreesboro!

I game at a time....next (victim) up, Millington.