Arbys Classic

HighSchoolFanatic

Any teams coming with good prospects? When will they draw for the pairings? When will White Station be invited again? I loved watching those boys play. And please update the tourn website. Sorry, but you prolly have no control over that, but it has the 2004 tourn on there instead of last years. Im not complaining to you.

Ok the 2 Florida teams are Michael K. Dob and PK Young both are 2 of Floridas best teams and may be the 2 faves in this years tourney. A clarifiaction on the German team they have 2 6-11 players and their coach says this is his best team. There is not a team from Texas but there is a team from New Orleans which will probably become a fan favorite. This year may not have the star power of last years but whos would? If its the Arbys you know its great teams and great competition. The parings will be announced this Sunday afternoon Nov 19.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would prevent him from inviting one of the better teams in the area? I hope that would not be the case and prevent and opportunity to compete against the better teams across the country and rob the fans the chance to see a great local team. Is Wiggins still there?

Central had some really good teams before the past year and was never invited because they went to Florida one year. When they finally jumped back to AAA, I guess Burns let Central back in.

If I am Dale Burns and I am picking out the local teams I am deffinitely going with my top 4 or 5 teams which would consist of Tennessee High,Science Hill,Greeneville,Dobyns Bennet and Unaka. Now the honest basketball fans will admit they would rather see good local teams like the one's I just mentioned instead of Elizabethton, Sullivan East,Daniel Boone, Twins Springs VA and ETC.

We all know these teams were good at one point years ago. but lately in the past 2 or 3 years they are nowhere near the calibur to compete in the arby's classic.

It has gotten to the point anymore that it's more of not as much how good a team is or what they have accomplished in the past but who draws the most fan base could be a team with a losing record for instance and no disrespect to these teams but honestly Sullivan East nor Elizabethton or Daniel Boone belong in the arby's classic.

Here is my point and it makes sense. Greeneville probably one of your top 5 teams in East Tennesse made a trip to the state last year didn't get invited. Unaka hasn't been invited back since 2002 they upset the bahama's in the first round lost to germany by 3 in the second game and beat gate city in the third game finishing up 2-1 after that performance they never was invited back even though unaka just the year after next won a state championship and the year after that made another state tournament appearance.

Now someone tell me what Elizabethton has accomplished or East or even Boone? They cant even win there own conference and have terrible records and still manage to get in some how.

So what it basically boils down to now is how much money these local teams are bringing in the gate and not as much how good of a basketball team they are if someone dissagrees please prove me wrong...

Edited by pickup22

If I am Dale Burns and I am picking out the local teams I am deffinitely going with my top 4 or 5 teams which would consist of Tennessee High,Science Hill,Greeneville,Dobyns Bennet and Unaka. Now the honest basketball fans will admit they would rather see good local teams like the one's I just mentioned instead of Elizabethton, Sullivan East,Daniel Boone, Twins Springs VA and ETC.

We all know these teams were good at one point years ago. but lately in the past 2 or 3 years they are nowhere near the calibur to compete in the arby's classic.

It has gotten to the point anymore that it's more of not as much how good a team is or what they have accomplished in the past but who draws the most fan base could be a team with a losing record for instance and no disrespect to these teams but honestly Sullivan East nor Elizabethton or Daniel Boone belong in the arby's classic.

Here is my point and it makes sense. Greeneville probably one of your top 5 teams in East Tennesse made a trip to the state last year didn't get invited. Unaka hasn't been invited back since 2002 they upset the bahama's in the first round lost to germany by 3 in the second game and beat gate city in the third game finishing up 2-1 after that performance they never was invited back even though unaka just the year after next won a state championship and the year after that made another state tournament appearance.

Now someone tell me what Elizabethton has accomplished or East or even Boone? They cant even win there own conference and have terrible records and still manage to get in some how.

So what it basically boils down to now is how much money these local teams are bringing in the gate and not as much how good of a basketball team they are if someone dissagrees please prove me wrong...

I'll have to disagree. If you knew the history of the tournament to its beginnings I don't think you would make some of your assumptions about who should be in the Arby's. I don't know all the specific details but in the early days there was a group of local schools that were loyal to the tournament and therefore helped get the tournament off the ground. I don't know the reasons why the directors picked the schools that they did in the beginning but it was their right. The tournament grew to where it is now and a lot of other schools in the area would love to play but there is just not room. They did add the round of play-in games to get more schools in.

You picked on Elizabethton, East and Daniel Boone as teams unworthy of Arby's. I don't believe Elizabethton and East have been in the tournament every year but Boone has. In fact Boone won the event in 1984 and was a thorn in the side for a lot of visiting teams over the years. After Science Hill, I would guess that Boone, D-B and Tennessee High have been the most successful local teams in the Arby's.

I guess if you are going to make statements about teams not being able to win their conference we better eliminate all the Big 9 schools except SH & D-B from being in the Arby's.

There are a lot of factors in putting on a tournament and deciding who they want to invite. Quality teams, fan support and tournament loyalty are just a few things that may be considered in developing a tourney. Some of the visiting "powerhouse" teams have not been very good teams but perhaps they had a marquee player that would draw fans.

I don't agree with all the teams (either local or visiting) in the Arby's but it is not my tournament. Tennessee High has done an outstanding job with the tournament and it has grown into the monster that everyone wants to play. If you think that there are other local teams that could benefit from an Arby's type tournament then put one together. I think you will find that it is easier said than done.

It's like I said this is now that was then. These local teams years ago could compete dont get me wrong but your Daniel Boone,Sullivan East,Elizabethton teams now have just fallin off the radar of being a competitive dominate team like they have had in the past years.

If this tournament was based on loyalty and cahoots then I could understand where you are coming from but by no means should some of the local teams he has chosen deserve the right to even compete in the arby's people dont care about who helped put this together from day one they want to see the best teams around this area compete which I still believe are your top 5 and this is just localy.

Greeneville which I am thrilled there going to be competing this year,Science Hill, Dobyns Bennet,Tennessee High, Unaka, those are your top teams around this tri cities area.

Boone usually competes well in the Arbys. They might not win, but they play teams close. But theyre not the same since Bobby Snyder left. East is just 5 mi from TN High. East and TN High are good friends off the court. Eliz is just not the same no more. Twin Springs had a good run in '04 and '05 with Ty Webb, but they have no business being in the tourn this year. Science Hill, TN High, DB, G'ville, and South should be guaranteed every year. Central can come every 2 or 3 yrs. Invite Boone or East in that span, just cuz of tradition. If your gonna invite them, invite Unaka. The rangers have had great success against AAA opponents. Of course, match them with SH and things will be different. They lost to Urspring in the 1st round, beat Gate City in 2nd, beat Tabernacle in the consolation game.

I clicked on the Unaka link and it had a loss to Bearden & Cosby and next game aganist UC and they lost to them the last time they played . Why are they so high in NET per your post.

Well Bearden is prolly one of the best well coached teams in the state. Bearden can make anybody look bad. Theyve won 16 straight Distict titles. Cosby is just a tough place to win @. Theyll shoot they eyes out of it from the 3s. While I saw Unicoi in the Hardees last night. Unicoi is a very beatable team. Theyre just big. Unaka always starts out with a tough schedule.