Sullivan Central at TN High

athlete269

You know I was waiting on someone like you to make a post like THAT! Now the door is open!! Let me start by saying that in my post I stated “the last three years the secondary has put a damper on the potential of the defense”. News flash…#5 was part of that secondary for two of those years. You say that coach Mays knows what he’s doing? News flash #2….IT”S NOT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT’S WHAT MY POSTS HAVE BEEN HINTING AT ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like Mays too, but I’ve seen the same soft spot year after year. If you run into a coaching staff that actually studies film with a descent QB and a strong arm...WE ARE TOAST (case and point Maryville 04’). My post was by no means pointed at the players…at least not directly. In my opinion this coverage puts them at an immediate disadvantage when going up against the spread offence (which is what we are seeing 70% of the time now).

And you want to talk about “taking away that confidence that a player has to have to make that play”? Telling a player he has to give a WR a 10-20 yard cushion in order to make the play is a real confidence booster! ;)

Maryville picked at the weakness in the secondary with that 60 flag route all night...they hit us deep once or twice maybe and the rest of their yards were their players being the athletes they are....and they didn't hit us on a wheel......

And i can honestly say that Mays has never told his players to line up anymore than 8 yds. off....

But off course you sit in the coach's office everyday and know absolutely everything so who am I to judge your statement?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my! I sense a bitter little fan. I am no die hard Viking fan, but I have seen them play on numerous occasions going all the way back to the late 90's. Cap, it would not have mattered what coverage they played against mighty Maryville. The bottom line is the Rebels had better athletes. The Viking staff does a good job with what they have to work with. Pick up a Murphy Fair and see how many Vikings are playing at the next level (very few) and compare that to a Maryville or Mo West. Pick up a THS football program and examine all the current defensive records. Wow! many were set by defenses coached by this very staff. Support your program and in a couple of years when South loses their QB you guys will be back on top in the conference, but you will never have Knoxville type players. Just a fact.

Actually it's by 1 coach........and he holds like...idk 1 record....

Maryville picked at the weakness in the secondary with that 60 flag route all night...they hit us deep once or twice maybe and the rest of their yards were their players being the athletes they are....and they didn't hit us on a wheel......

And i can honestly say that Mays has never told his players to line up anymore than 8 yds. off....

But off course you sit in the coach's office everyday and know absolutely everything so who am I to judge your statement?

I thought when the SE runs a 5yrd post route with the slot looping behind and down the sideline it was called a wheel route...hmmmm..well what ever you call it we cound'nt get over fast enough to barely even make the tackle and for those who did'nt notice we did mix in some bump and run agianst central.

I beg to differ…a “flag” route is a longer route. Maryville hurt us with what I think you call a “stop” pattern (a timing pattern where the wide receiver runs straight down the field 5 or 6 yards and turns. The QB drops back 2 steps and fires the ball out to the flats. Maryville went from one side to the other…back and forth with this route for 6 to 10 yards per reception until they were in striking range. Then they let their big power back take it in for the first score behind that BIG O line. It sounds like you were there (maybe even on the field) so you should know this! Look…I’m not going to argue with you about what coach Mays is or isn’t doing. If he had all the answers he probably wouldn’t still be at THS…and if I had all the answers I probably wouldn’t be giving it out for free. :blink: I’m sure he will do what he feels is necessary for his team to have the best chance to win, and that’s really all any of us can ask. I may or may not agree with it…but you fail to understand that my opinion is just that…and it really doesn’t count. It’s not my name that’s on the line.

And if I did sit in the coaches office and had a dog in this race…what we would be talking about is why the bump and run coverage was or wasn’t working for the Vikings. :D:thumb:

Now can we drop this and move on? I think the point has been made. :angry:

I beg to differ…a “flag” route is a longer route. Maryville hurt us with what I think you call a “stop” pattern (a timing pattern where the wide receiver runs straight down the field 5 or 6 yards and turns. The QB drops back 2 steps and fires the ball out to the flats. Maryville went from one side to the other…back and forth with this route for 6 to 10 yards per reception until they were in striking range. Then they let their big power back take it in for the first score behind that BIG O line. It sounds like you were there (maybe even on the field) so you should know this! Look…I’m not going to argue with you about what coach Mays is or isn’t doing. If he had all the answers he probably wouldn’t still be at THS…and if I had all the answers I probably wouldn’t be giving it out for free. :D I’m sure he will do what he feels is necessary for his team to have the best chance to win, and that’s really all any of us can ask. I may or may not agree with it…but you fail to understand that my opinion is just that…and it really doesn’t count. It’s not my name that’s on the line.

And if I did sit in the coaches office and had a dog in this race…what we would be talking about is why the bump and run coverage was or wasn’t working for the Vikings. :D:lol:

Now can we drop this and move on? I think the point has been made. :lol:

I'm not gonna' stir it Cap just want to clarify a couple things. First you must work 12 hour shifts. Anyway, in the 70's a Flag route was a dogleg to the corner of the endzone regardless of the yardage. A post is of course a goalpost. And the "stop" pattern you described was called a "buttonhook" and was extremely effective against the B&R. After running a couple of "fly" routes to burn a B&R CB the WR would come back and run a 10yd. "Buttonhook" for a sure first down. After being burned on a couple of long patterns the CB would lose the B&R and play 8-10 soft and the WR would begin as if to run another "fly" and then stop dead and turn around...all alone. There was also a "hook and go" which was effective on a tight man coverage. The QB usually controlled that with a pump.

Edited by compusatman

I beg to differ…a “flag” route is a longer route. Maryville hurt us with what I think you call a “stop” pattern (a timing pattern where the wide receiver runs straight down the field 5 or 6 yards and turns. The QB drops back 2 steps and fires the ball out to the flats. Maryville went from one side to the other…back and forth with this route for 6 to 10 yards per reception until they were in striking range. Then they let their big power back take it in for the first score behind that BIG O line. It sounds like you were there (maybe even on the field) so you should know this! Look…I’m not going to argue with you about what coach Mays is or isn’t doing. If he had all the answers he probably wouldn’t still be at THS…and if I had all the answers I probably wouldn’t be giving it out for free. :D I’m sure he will do what he feels is necessary for his team to have the best chance to win, and that’s really all any of us can ask. I may or may not agree with it…but you fail to understand that my opinion is just that…and it really doesn’t count. It’s not my name that’s on the line.

And if I did sit in the coaches office and had a dog in this race…what we would be talking about is why the bump and run coverage was or wasn’t working for the Vikings. :o:thumb:

Now can we drop this and move on? I think the point has been made. :D

All i'm gonna say cap....is that i said "60" flag ....and that is were the 2 reciever runs a flag(10-12 yds then you flag it) and the 1 reciver runs a "60" flag route(a 5-6yd. stop route).......it's been awile since you've even stepped on the field...so don't act like I don't know what a route is......sir.

I'm not gonna' stir it Cap just want to clarify a couple things. First you must work 12 hour shifts. Anyway, in the 70's a Flag route was a dogleg to the corner of the endzone regardless of the yardage. A post is of course a goalpost. And the "stop" pattern you described was called a "buttonhook" and was extremely effective against the B&R. After running a couple of "fly" routes to burn a B&R CB the WR would come back and run a 10yd. "Buttonhook" for a sure first down. After being burned on a couple of long patterns the CB would lose the B&R and play 8-10 soft and the WR would begin as if to run another "fly" and then stop dead and turn around...all alone. There was also a "hook and go" which was effective on a tight man coverage. The QB usually controlled that with a pump.

Exactly!

All i'm gonna say cap....is that i said "60" flag ....and that is were the 2 reciever runs a flag(10-12 yds then you flag it) and the 1 reciver runs a "60" flag route(a 5-6yd. stop route).......it's been awile since you've even stepped on the field...so don't act like I don't know what a route is......sir.

You probably do know what you’re talking about. But you’re the only one that knows what YOU"RE talking about. :D

Stay in school and get your education son...because coaching is not in your future!

Well Baker is running about a 4.66 Moore is running around 4.7 Franzeck is the fastest on the defense at a 4.63 or so but in the middle linebacker position. Thats about all the speed they have on D and I wouldn't rate them up there as true "speed." They aren't sparing any on offense either Thomas is at a 4.67 and used to be a d-back, but guess they won't put their QB out there. Howard was running down around a 4.5 last season but slowed down some this year, and Strickland is a big boy running behind a 4.7-4.8... This is about the least speed THS has seen in a long time and alot of other teams do have the speed to burn them.

I question those times. Who's timing them? Look back at the fastest back competition at the MLC. THS hasn't had a winner that I can remember, even with the 2004 team.

Yea…I noticed that but I’m not surprised. I never bought into Boone thing. The Big question is WHAT’S UP with your boys. Are the reports true…6 to nothing at the half. Them Devils aren’t playin!!

Fair game for us. The coaches opened the book up a little, but when Central scored I thought I was watching a reply of the South game. Same play as the first play South scored on…same results!! #44 Strickland had an awesome game and believe it or not we scored on about a 35-yard TD pass. Other than that…not much to get excited about. Central didn’t bring a lot to the table. The Vikings probably had more penalty yards than the Cougars had total offense (I’m not kidding) and that's nothing to brag about for either team! At least 3 personal fouls on the Vikings. A repeat of that will sink the Viking ship next week!!

They lack discipline, something that the Vikings have been missing for a while.