Sullivan Central at TN High

athlete269

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess our opinions are differing Cap1, but only about the difference in teams and their speed. Yes 4.6 4.7 is sufficient against teams with 4.6 4.7 WR's, but when 88 from ETown is down in the 4.4's and Sensabaugh from DB is also in the 4.4's then there isn't a chance. Henry Engrad??? from South quick 4.5. These are the major burners of the secondary. But dont get me wrong when we play slower reciever teams our secondary is second to none. And if it were just straight streak down the fields then a 10 yd cushion and a 4.5 against a 4.7 would be more than sufficient for our corners, but these are good receivers and when they make their moves the corners usually bite. I believe we are strong in the secondary, but need to be smarter and will hopefully be getting better by play-offs. I think the entire team is down after the two losses and it needs to become stronger as one. Lets go VIKES Play as 1

Playing zone in the secondary IMO is weak. Bump (break the stride) & Run is a mans pass defense. Yes, you risk the chance of getting burned but you put the pressure on the connection. The QB has to take more time to gage the throw and the WR (in this league) has to be on his toes. The pass rush has to take the opportunity to pressurize the QB. It virtually eliminates the wheel route, sideline, etc. These routes are bread & butter to a spread team. Playing man takes stones; playing zone is a compromise. However, to play spread in the first place you need fast WR's otherwise you should be running under center with play action. South and DB have the WR's to run spread but you see even DB in play action if for no other reason than to cause confusion. They will spray a flurry for 3-4 plays bust an off-tackle then send Coty deep out of the spread. Bristol, IMO needs to run play action 60% of the time throwing to the weak side alternating with the run. Yes their DB's are weak but intimidation is powerful. It's easy to be an internet coach but fact is...when bump & run was used in the 70's it was devastating. If the bump staggers the WR then you see what kind of route he runs. Psycology. Of course, a good WR will only let that happen once. There are only a handful of good WR's in this league. Bristol-28/Central-7. Bristol won't wake up until they play J County.

Playing zone in the secondary IMO is weak. Bump (break the stride) & Run is a mans pass defense. Yes, you risk the chance of getting burned but you put the pressure on the connection. The QB has to take more time to gage the throw and the WR (in this league) has to be on his toes. The pass rush has to take the opportunity to pressurize the QB. It virtually eliminates the wheel route, sideline, etc. These routes are bread & butter to a spread team. Playing man takes stones; playing zone is a compromise. However, to play spread in the first place you need fast WR's otherwise you should be running under center with play action. South and DB have the WR's to run spread but you see even DB in play action if for no other reason than to cause confusion. They will spray a flurry for 3-4 plays bust an off-tackle then send Coty deep out of the spread. Bristol, IMO needs to run play action 60% of the time throwing to the weak side alternating with the run. Yes their DB's are weak but intimidation is powerful. It's easy to be an internet coach but fact is...when bump & run was used in the 70's it was devastating. If the bump staggers the WR then you see what kind of route he runs. Psycology. Of course, a good WR will only let that happen once. There are only a handful of good WR's in this league. Bristol-28/Central-7. Bristol won't wake up until they play J County.

Campusatman let me give you the address to the THS athletic office and maybe they could give this post directly to Coach Stubs!!!!!!!! WELL SAID! :thumb:

Our starting corners are big and physical. If they are coached to bump, release and, run it would go a long way. The Viking down linemen don’t usually give a QB much time to read coverage and check other options.

Campusatman let me give you the address to the THS athletic office and maybe they could give this post directly to Coach Stubs!!!!!!!! WELL SAID! :lol:

Our starting corners are big and physical. If they are coached to bump, release and, run it would go a long way. The Viking down linemen don’t usually give a QB much time to read coverage and check other options.

Cap...does that mean I can sit with the big boys now? I will buy you a Coke if we play at the Castle for the region just to show my gratitude. ;)

Well I guess our opinions are differing Cap1, but only about the difference in teams and their speed. Yes 4.6 4.7 is sufficient against teams with 4.6 4.7 WR's, but when 88 from ETown is down in the 4.4's and Sensabaugh from DB is also in the 4.4's then there isn't a chance. Henry Engrad??? from South quick 4.5. These are the major burners of the secondary. But dont get me wrong when we play slower reciever teams our secondary is second to none. And if it were just straight streak down the fields then a 10 yd cushion and a 4.5 against a 4.7 would be more than sufficient for our corners, but these are good receivers and when they make their moves the corners usually bite. I believe we are strong in the secondary, but need to be smarter and will hopefully be getting better by play-offs. I think the entire team is down after the two losses and it needs to become stronger as one. Lets go VIKES Play as 1

Jplaya I'm with you. Other than the 40 times…I agree with you whole heartedly. I just don't think we are looking at that kind of speed across the board. Do you realize that there aren’t a large percentage of NFL players that have 4.4 or better speed?! 4.4 speed is ALL AMERICAN speed in anybodies book. The kid from Elizabethton (#88) would come the closes, but I watched him get blasted in the 100 AND 200 this past track season by someone I’m close too (Michael Bunche) that I know FOR A FACT barely runs a 4.5.

As long as we AGREE to disagree I think we will be alright… ;) because we are in this together. I jump on my soap box occasionally…but only out of the frustration of knowing this teams potential. If you feel I’m getting back up there…just pull on my shirttail........AGAIN. :lol:

Cap...does that mean I can sit with the big boys now? I will buy you a Coke if we play at the Castle for the region just to show my gratitude. :lol:

I don’t drink Cokes…but I’ll take Nacho’s (with Jalapeños)! ;) Believe it or not you are on the short list of posters that I keep up with on several of the different threads. ArtVandalay use to be on that list, but he obviously fell off the wagon one night during the week we played South and never retracted or gave any excuse for his comments. I’m sure you remember. Glee is another. So you see…not only do I know talent when I see it, I also recognize wisdom! :lol: Do you or have you coached before?

One thing is for sure. Anybody who has aspirations of beating Maryville better strap 'em on tight. Last team to beat them was MoWest, and that was in 2001............

Just getting past MoWest will be tough enough.

'01 was the first time West defeated Maryville (it was the Reb's homecoming just a few days after 9/11). The second defeat for the Rebs was in the semifinal game in 2003. :lol:

Whay He said! :lol:

I don’t drink Cokes…but I’ll take Nacho’s (with Jalapeños)! :D Believe it or not you are on the short list of posters that I keep up with on several of the different threads. ArtVandalay use to be on that list, but he obviously fell off the wagon one night during the week we played South and never retracted or gave any excuse for his comments. I’m sure you remember. Glee is another. So you see…not only do I know talent when I see it, I also recognize wisdom! :thumb: Do you or have you coached before?

The only coaching I've done is my kids. I played during the late 60's early 70's and many of the techniques used then have been all but forgotten. I resurected them for my kids and ###### if Retro ain't Macho'. These techniques made them look like superstars just because few (current) coaches have ever used many of these things. But in the past year I see these tricks coming back. Movies like "Friday Nite Lights" elaborate on some of these specialities, also the documentary of Walter Peyton. Moves like spin, bustin'up, sidestep, 3 steppin', rollin' out of double teams, etc. Then also I see a resurgence of the dirt...like spearing, crack-backin'. But you don't just fall off a wagon and produce these moves...they are like dancing...you got to have groove to make them happen. And they are meticulous, mathmatical, calculating. I see RB's attempt to spin cause Boobi Miles did it but the coaches don't know how to do it cause they weren't taught it and everybody is just ad-libbin'. It don't work like that. These moves take precision movement like Taekwondo. And if you don't do it right then you will blow a knee, ankle or fumble the ball...just many things. Technique is always engineered not BS'd. Which actually is why most of these techniques fell from grace...too many injuries blamed on the coach for teaching such a dangerous move. When it wasn't the coach it was the student not being attentive to the step by step instruction. Most coaches, for example, teach a RB to run north/south. Everybody who is anybody knows when it comes to running the ball the back has to have the freedom to "feel" the daylight. That's something you can't teach though you can encourage independence. Most local coaches are threatened by that type of player. Run the hole or sit the bench. Backwards thinking. In the 60's and 70's we were open minded...maybe a little too much...Ha! So GLee...he has never discounted me, but ArtVanDalay, MaroonandGray, and a few others...well let's just say that I read their words with earnest simply because they keep the fire going, but I take some of their meanings with a grain of sand. Anyway, maybe someday I'll get to coach little league or something after mine are gone. B)

:unsure:

The only coaching I've done is my kids. I played during the late 60's early 70's and many of the techniques used then have been all but forgotten. I resurected them for my kids and ###### if Retro ain't Macho'. These techniques made them look like superstars just because few (current) coaches have ever used many of these things. But in the past year I see these tricks coming back. Movies like "Friday Nite Lights" elaborate on some of these specialities, also the documentary of Walter Peyton. Moves like spin, bustin'up, sidestep, 3 steppin', rollin' out of double teams, etc. Then also I see a resurgence of the dirt...like spearing, crack-backin'. But you don't just fall off a wagon and produce these moves...they are like dancing...you got to have groove to make them happen. And they are meticulous, mathmatical, calculating. I see RB's attempt to spin cause Boobi Miles did it but the coaches don't know how to do it cause they weren't taught it and everybody is just ad-libbin'. It don't work like that. These moves take precision movement like Taekwondo. And if you don't do it right then you will blow a knee, ankle or fumble the ball...just many things. Technique is always engineered not BS'd. Which actually is why most of these techniques fell from grace...too many injuries blamed on the coach for teaching such a dangerous move. When it wasn't the coach it was the student not being attentive to the step by step instruction. Most coaches, for example, teach a RB to run north/south. Everybody who is anybody knows when it comes to running the ball the back has to have the freedom to "feel" the daylight. That's something you can't teach though you can encourage independence. Most local coaches are threatened by that type of player. Run the hole or sit the bench. Backwards thinking. In the 60's and 70's we were open minded...maybe a little too much...Ha! So GLee...he has never discounted me, but ArtVanDalay, MaroonandGray, and a few others...well let's just say that I read their words with earnest simply because they keep the fire going, but I take some of their meanings with a grain of sand. Anyway, maybe someday I'll get to coach little league or something after mine are gone. B)

I like the way you think and I think your logic is ringing true. I do know that from all accounts…coach Stubs was a heck of a RB in his day and I know from the past several years that he teaches and encourages his backs to “feel the daylight”. But as you said…there is only so much that you can teach…either you have it or you don’t. The current backs for the Vikings run VERY hard…but lack that “playmaker” quality that we have seen in the backfield in the past several years. They work hard for every yard…and for the most part are able to get the job done.

I had to rewrite this post several times. Believe it or not…I’ve been known to upset people at times with my blunt but (in my eyes) truthful comments. :huh: I’m trying to be sensitive to the sensitive. Some people just can’t handle the truth!!!! :D

Edited by Cap1

:thumb:

I like the way you think and I think your logic is ringing true. I do know that from all accounts…coach Stubs was a heck of a RB in his day and I know from the past several years that he teaches and encourages his backs to “feel the daylight”. But as you said…there is only so much that you can teach…either you have it or you don’t. The current backs for the Vikings run VERY hard…but lack that “playmaker” quality that we have seen in the backfield in the past several years. They work hard for every yard…and for the most part are able to get the job done.

I had to rewrite this post several times. Believe it or not…I’ve been known to upset people at times with my blunt but (in my eyes) truthful comments. :lol: I’m trying to be sensitive to the sensitive. Some people just can’t handle the truth!!!! :D

I think this: this is a place people come to vent a little bit. Some brag, some bit##, some cry, some just make no sense...but the things that are said here by and large could not be said face to face. There are those, and I think we are 2, that would say it no differently face up. Compassion allows one to leave another one with his dignity by stopping just short of the explosion. There are those times it is imperitive to go the distance and those times the need is to chill. And hopefully we know when to do which. Ultimately, like you said, relax it is supposed to be a fun place. Come down off your high horse and talk some trash with us. Jamesbad said to me that "I need to let my wounds heal" and how right he was! I got here by accident and then there was an accident...and this was my place to scream. In the end, I went to the source and "aired it out" and ultimately it worked out for the best. Some of us take ourselves a bit too seriously and I guess I'm one. Some of us talk real loud and hope to get a rise from the comatose and that is you. I promise to lighten up if you promise to use less salt. But "BY THE GODS" let THS and SSHS bring this conference up to battle speed!

Edited by compusatman