Outlook for 7AAA

PHargis

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not be in attendence tomorrow, as we are in SC for a funeral. PH, please keep track of the action and let me know how things go.

Pres, my condolances. i will keep up with the action and try to give you an objective view. As you might figure out, the main problem as a fan is to just get in to the gym and out after the game so an analysis might not be very on schedule.

Actually Mr Tackett was still in charge last yr and took the appropriate measures to keep things under control. Mr Vaughn takes great pride in discipline as well.

Right, forgot about the principal change. Whoever it is, Oakland will take care of the situation. Too much class and pride at the school. Oakland will be gracious hosts except for the game then the best team usually wins.

It was dark as I pulled up to the Oakland campus and pulled in to the drive tht lead to the gym. In the distance, at 5:30 in the afternoon, about 500 fans had already lined up in front of the tick booth waiting for it to open and to get one of the most sought after tickets in the Boro. The Patriots and the Stars and their student bodies were fixing to have a game and not only students were interested but anyone who had anything to do with the two programs made sure tonite was set aside to see one of the best rivalries in the Boro.

Yes, the inside was as I remembered it from last year. The tradition dripped down from the rafters as the banners symbolizing the many feats it's teams had achieved were all over the gym.

You knew where you were when in big letters across one end of the gym is written in large letters " Home of the Patriots" and it was obvious it was. A large sign taking up about half of the wall stated Oakland All State Players and in each sport outlined those who achieved the feat over a number of years. It was impressive indeed and the Oakland crowd made you think it was a football crowd when its team made a run. It was high school basketball at its best and its fans and graduates were in to it from the very beginning.

And here was the new kid on the block with something called a NATION, some 900 students strong, there to confront the tradition and without the established fans which graduated because Siegel is only five years old but with enough following that it filled up a half of the gym but not quite half of the SELL OUT crowd. The Principals of both schools led their student bodies and it was something to behold. Siegel and the NATION was ready to support their teams.

A great presentation by the Oakland Choir of the National Anthem reverberated thru the old Gym and was a rendition that ran chills thru the audience and the game and players knew what was at stake and were ready to play.

Oakland lead the first quarter 15 to 12 as Tara Davis came out smoking. however Siegel picked up their game between the efforts of Carrie Parrot and Kristen Sigenthauler and a last minute shot by Morgan Faulkner and Siegel led at half by 30-26. The third quarter saw Siegel extend its lead to 39-30 and oakland came back in the 4th ond fell a little short as Tara Davis's 3 point shot rolled around the rim endlessly until it dropped of harmlessly to the floor and the closck ran out and Siegel won 50 to 47.

A pin could almst be heard in the gym and a grateful crowd gave the two teams their due as it was one of the hard fought district 7 games you expect to see between these two teams.

My totals and calculations may be wrong but Davis and King led Oakland. i will post the totals later. Siegel was led by Seigenthauler and Parott in scoring with Siegel playing one of its better games of the year.

This game had District Tournament Atmosphere written all over it and you could cut the pressure with a knife in the gym. It was well played and the difference seemed to be that Siegel had a little more game experience on the floor and the floor play seemed to recognize it. Oakland has a good team and will difinitely get better as the season continues. Siegel now must maintain this consistancy and build on what many fans had been expecting the first part of the year.

The Siegel Stars scoring was led by Parrot and Seigenthauler with 18 points each . Spurlock had some clutch rebounds with Parrot to lead the stars. Siegel shot 62% from three point line and shot 75% from the FT line. Siegel wound up shooting 46% for the game. Siegel committed 11 turnovers for the game.

Oakland shot 45% from the three point line and 80% frim the free throw line but Siegel shot more free throws since Oakland was playing catchup the last half. Oakland had 18 turnovers.

All of these numbers are unofficial numbers but some are verified by other sources as being close.

It is without saying that King with Oakland, I hope, played one of her best games and was a thorn in the side of Siegel all night both in scoring and rebounding. Tara Davis is remarkable as is Kiera McCleary who plays a different role for Oakland.

Siegels game plan worked. An observation is that it did just enough to keep Oakland off just enough to gain the advantage the third quarter. This was a pressure game that had a lot at stake.

Did anyone see the Lebanon/Cookeville game? This looks like old-time Mindy ball. First team to 30 wins. Final Cookeville 30 Lebanon 27. 4 points total were scored in the 3rd quarter.

While I did not see the game, the interesting thing I saw in the box was after three quarters, Cookeville was quite a bit behind and had to out score Lebanon 14-5 in the fourth to beat them. I too would like someone who saw the game to tell what happened.

Thoughts on the game:

Despite the loss, I thought Oakland played well in spots, the 3rd quarter we really hurt ourselves by getting down by as much as 12, but were able to fight back to have a chance to win, which is all you can ask of your team outside of getting the win.

With every passing game, I dont get a massive heart attack thinking about next year without Tara Davis, Sarah King did a wonderful in the 4th quarter of finding the holes in Siegel's defense and converting it to 2 points most of the time.

Siegel's size really hurt Oakland, down low and against Siegenthaler, every time Siegel needed a big basket, it was Siegenthaler or Parrott that delivered, did a better job in the 4th of slowing them down and was a big reason for our comeback, but too little too late