06-07 Carter County B-Ball!

ghostbuster14

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it means anything, but Elizabethton played both Hampton and Cloudland this summer and defeated both. On paper the Cyclones have the deepest and most experienced team, but games arent played on paper!!

I heard that Happy Valley really improved as the summer went on. They will be more balanced this year, but will certainly miss Williams in the middle. Unaka's young players will have a year of experience under their belt and they have the transfer who will help them out a bunch. But the return of a healthy Sallee Taylor is a huge key for them. Cloudland would likely be the early favorite in their confernce though. Good blend of youth and experience there. Hampton will be scrappy but small. As usual, there will be some good basketball played in Carter County this year. Three weeks until the first official day of practice.

What have other county teams been doing as far as pre-season conditioning?

On paper the Cyclones have the deepest and most experienced team, but games arent played on paper!! . . . .Three weeks until the first official day of practice . . . . What have other county teams been doing as far as pre-season conditioning?

[partial quote of CycloneFan by - K. R.]

About this season's runaway favorite:

Elizabethton - In the broader picture, we could see two or three Conference and District Classic matchups with Unicoi County, with South Greene and others capable of adding balance to District One AA. A very exciting season awaits.

Four Excellent Senior Starters: Michaela Pietrowski - four-year starter, one of the most dominant players in Tennessee.

Marti Bush - Quiet, lead-by-example player who had a very good junior season while recuperating from ACL surgery. Looks quicker.

Victoria Hopson - Two-year starter. Good defensive player and explosive from long range.

Brianne Gouge - Another very good defensive player with great shooting ability. She and Victoria can change games from way outside.

Junior - Hannah Fritz - Beautiful shooter's touch. Needing only consistency to star in this very competitive conference. Can slash and score.

Sophomore - Mariah Pietrowski - T-U-F-F. Mariah could start for any other Tri-County Seven team; that's how good Elizabethton is this season. Six-one and strong; like Marti, boxes out and rebounds very well. Love the little swinging hook.

Jasmine Treadway - When Jasmine enters the game, the excitement level escalates. Any basketball fan will appreciate the energy she brings to every game.

Kylie Jones - The only possible early-season question mark is point guard, but we're told Jones has improved greatly since last season. And it's worth noting, Coach Larry Weems utilizes his experienced players well to help against defensive pressure.

Kelli Culler - Another good defender and ball handler.

And there are others on this potential State Tournament team.

Edited by krichunaka

SchoolID=208&SportID=2]Happy Valley[/url] really improved as the summer went on. They will be more balanced this year, but will certainly miss Williams in the middle.

Happy Valley looked pretty darn good in summer league play. Defeated Science Hill once and Daniel Boone, also. Of course, summer league is not regular season, but those are two good teams.

T1.)Elizabethton

T1.)Unaka

T1.)Cloudland

T1.)Hampton

T1.)Happy Valley

Its way to early to be making rankings and saying ______ is better than _______. Let them get AT LEAST a week of real practice in before we start this. :lol:

I'd love to see a Tri-County Seven Conference. But, another subject for another time.

For now:

Elizabethton - - Great team. Cameron Crapps is at Lees McRae.

Cloudland - - - Jessica Lunsford is also a Lady Bobcat.

Happy Valley -- Keila Williams is a Lady Buff.

Unaka - - - - - - Sallee Taylor's health and leadership are vital.

Hampton - - - - Tinsman and Oliver are very good. But so many Graduates.

Elizabethton is Loaded, but how do you replace Cameron Crapps? Defense, Depth and experience might be enough. Top to bottom, a stronger, better balanced conference, to help make the Lady Cyclones more tournament-ready.*

Unaka could be very good, but let's wait until we see Sallee Taylor at full speed.

Two-through four are evenly matched, unless Cloudland's guard play is better than I expect. Banner and Lunsford kept the pressure off last season's otherwise young team.

Unaka could be very good, but let's wait until we see Sallee Taylor at full speed.

Two-through four are evenly matched, unless Cloudland's guard play is better than I expect. Banner and Lunsford kept the pressure off last season's otherwise young team.

Santana and Johnson will be the go-to players for Cloudland... Don't know much else about them.

Not to take anything away from Sallee (I know sportiemom is watching :D ) but the Lady Rangers seemed to do alright in summer ball without her there. They will just be better with her... Brittany Scott will help them on the outside, which should take some pressure of the "twin towers" LOL. Winters and Lowe will get much better as the season progresses... But also, I've been told Rebecca Bowman (sister of Laura Bowman) is playing. Sure she may be green to begin with, but look how much her sister improved as the eason went on. As she gets better, Lil' Bowman will be a huge help for the Rangers, giving Winters or Lowe a rest now and then... :thumb:

Edited by Rangerbook06

Not really fair to compare Becca Bowman with her sister. Big Sis played alot of ball against good competiton in junior high and first two years of high school. Not much of a stretch for her to help out as a Sr at Unaka. Lil sis does not have that type of BB background, and while she may end up helping Unaka, it will not be this year.

This years team is hitched to the group of talented sophs, Scott and Taylor.

Happy Valley will be the surprise this year. Everybody excepts them to fold with Williams and Duncan and Raines gone. Aint gonna happen. I expect HV to challenge for the conference title this year. Elizabethton will be good, but slow, and may have trouble scoring againsts teams that defend the inside game. They are not the best shooting team around.

I have to disagree on EHS being slow this year. Have you ever watched Jones or Treadway play? Both are quick as a cat and will get after you. Someone will have to step up with some outside scoring to compliment the inside play of Petrowski. Surprisingly, last year our shooting percentage at guard was terrible. We were a little trigger happy shooting the 3 and it hurt us as a team. This summer, it looked like we did a better job at working the ball inside. It looked like the girls were playing together better as a team. If Petrowski stays healthy the Lady Cyclones will cruise to Conference, District, Region and possibly Sub-State before anyone gives them a real test. The Cyclones are by far the best tri-county team this year with everything in place - size, quickness, a great coaching staff, and a great bunch of talented underclassmen jockying for a starting position.

I have to wait a few games into the season to rank the rest of the teams. I know that Cloudland will have a scrappy bunch and will give Unaka and Hampton a fit. And watch out for the Lady Bulldogs come tournament time - Leon Tolley is one of the best coaches around. As far as HV goes, it will surprise me if they can play with the Cyclones.

Good Luck to you and yours and as always, GO CYCLONES!

Don't just be proud - be thankful!

Edited by EHSFAITHFUL

I have to disagree on EHS being slow this year. Have you ever watched Jones or Treadway play? Both are quick as a cat and will get after you. Someone will have to step up with some outside scoring to compliment the inside play of Petrowski. Surprisingly, last year our shooting percentage at guard was terrible. We were a little trigger happy shooting the 3 and it hurt us as a team. This summer, it looked like we did a better job at working the ball inside. It looked like the girls were playing together better as a team. If Petrowski stays healthy the Lady Cyclones will cruise to Conference, District, Region and possibly Sub-State before anyone gives them a real test. The Cyclones are by far the best tri-county team this year with everything in place - size, quickness, a great coaching staff, and a great bunch of talented underclassmen jockying for a starting position.

I have to wait a few games into the season to rank the rest of the teams. I know that Cloudland will have a scrappy bunch and will give Unaka and Hampton a fit. And watch out for the Lady Bulldogs come tournament time - Leon Tolley is one of the best coaches around. As far as HV goes, it will surprise me if they can play with the Cyclones.

Good Luck to you and yours and as always, GO CYCLONES!

Don't just be proud - be thankful!

Very good post.

. . . .However, I disagree (just a little) with your "by far, the best tri-county team." Unicoi County has the early advantage at guard. Barnett, Engle and Canady all return. All can play point or two guard. All three can light it up from way outside. And though Elizabethton is better overall, they're inexperienced at the point (Cameron will be greatly missed).

Having said that, Victoria, is capable of averaging double-figures. If Jones, and/or Jasmine, and/or Kelli can run this incredibly talented offense, Elizabethton will again, go undefeated in conference play. Also, Gouge and Marti are both full speed to begin this season, and, of course, the Pietrowskis are very good.

I am NOT picking Lady Blue Devils to win the conference, but, like always, they will be a tough matchup for Elizabethton. And you're right; the Lady Cyclones are anything but, Slow this year. They simply have the type of team that can set up in half-court and score against anybody.

Edited by krichunaka

Not really fair to compare Becca Bowman with her sister. Big Sis played alot of ball against good competiton in junior high and first two years of high school. Not much of a stretch for her to help out as a Sr at Unaka. Lil sis does not have that type of BB background, and while she may end up helping Unaka, it will not be this year.

This years team is hitched to the group of talented sophs, Scott and Taylor.

Happy Valley will be the surprise this year. Everybody excepts them to fold with Williams and Duncan and Raines gone. Aint gonna happen. I expect HV to challenge for the conference title this year. Elizabethton will be good, but slow, and may have trouble scoring againsts teams that defend the inside game. They are not the best shooting team around.

Well I wasn't saying Becca would start, I was saying she MIGHT put in some valuable floor time. She will get much better as the year progresses, you just watch. :o