Greenbrier?

hudsonj

If you've read what I've written before, I've said that these coaches are very competent. And, as others have so astutely pointed out, every year ain't gonna be a STATE year. It's common sense that the talent level isn't going to be the same every year...at ALL schools. This year ours is down. Station Camps' just happens to be up. Coaches have to adjust to what they've been blessed (?) with, unless, of course, they can recruit or talent just moves into your zone 'cause they like ya ( :thumb: ). Losing exacerbates grumbling, especially in the stands. People that are competitive and have the common goal of winning will always look for the answer as to why they ain't winning in a particular timeframe. That's human nature. Blaming the coaches is unfortunate, but, like No Doubt said before, if they didn't become stupid overnight it must be the players. And therein lies the problem. I don't like blaming someone unless I know they're the true culprit. In this case, I think it may be a little bit of coaches not wanting to change AND players not stepping up. I'm an outsider looking on, so I don't know what goes on behind meeting doors or on the practice field. All I see is the result of those every week. This has been a crazy year. If I was coaching, I'd be flexible and try to salvage what I could. If I was a player, I'd play as hard as I could and be thankful to God for letting me be healthy enough to play.

In any event, I'm still for the team, win or lose.

Agreed. I think this is a combination of several things but I think the main cause is just that this is one of our down years. As was stated before.... the talent comes and goes. And when you have the down years and you have injuries, you have younger players without much game experience that have to play, your competition is better, and then you mix in the coaches in the stands.... things can get ugly fast. I've heard from some that there is a larger group of parents complaining about playing time than there was before and we have some parents complaining to the administration about coaches being too mean or rough with little Johnny. I've even heard that one group of parents have a blog or web site on which they complain about the coaches. Is it any wonder why the attitudes and work ethic are going South fast? Another thing to keep in mind...... these coaches are running the same offense that these players have been working with their entire playing careers. They come up with a game plan week by week, just the same as they have for years and they work on these things throughout the week in practice. We have some "FANS" complaining that we just keep running the same up the middle plays over and over and they just don't work. Maybe this is just the best we have at the moment. Don't you think if the coaches had something that they knew would work better that they would be doing it? You play the cards that you're dealt. But as always..... the arm chair quarterbacks and the coaches in the stands think they know best. I guess it's based on their years of coaching experience.

I can only hope that this group of players stay along the same lines as most in the past and they don't even get on Coach T and read this trash. I mean think about it.... you're a player that's having a down year or you're injuried and not playing that well and you get on here and you have "FANS" telling you that you're terrible. Yep! That would make me want to go play.

Edited by NoDoubt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the enemy, aka a fair weather fan, and not to mention an idiot :thumb:

why do you hate me? i've always been a Greenbrier fan and always will be a fan. dosen't mean i have to agree with every call does it??? just because your a fan that dosen't mean you can't second guess. being a fan in my opinion is traveling to EVERY single away game. getting there early to watch the pre-game and staying till the final whistle blows and yelling at the top of your lungs even when your team is down 35-0. i think you Big Country are the idiot. you know as well as i do that the coaches have made some stupid calls.

why do you hate me? i've always been a Greenbrier fan and always will be a fan. dosen't mean i have to agree with every call does it??? just because your a fan that dosen't mean you can't second guess. being a fan in my opinion is traveling to EVERY single away game. getting there early to watch the pre-game and staying till the final whistle blows and yelling at the top of your lungs even when your team is down 35-0. i think you Big Country are the idiot. you know as well as i do that the coaches have made some stupid calls.

You've now called me an idiot three times on this thread alone and nobody has closed your insignificant comments down yet. I'll bet Greenbrier would just assume not to have you give them any credit after they get a win this week and have a shot at the playoffs next week. With that said do not bother posting anymore because I won't be around to read your nonsense ;)

You've now called me an idiot three times on this thread alone and nobody has closed your insignificant comments down yet. I'll bet Greenbrier would just assume not to have you give them any credit after they get a win this week and have a shot at the playoffs next week. With that said do not bother posting anymore because I won't be around to read your nonsense ;)

they got to win first before even thinking about playoffs. and all you have done is got on here and said that i know nothing about football. i gurantee you i know 3 times as much about football espically when it comes to this Greenbrier team. all i talk about with the team is Greenbrier football. and i don't post for you to read them. why would i care what you think?

As I thought from the beginning, hudsonj is a teenager not an idiot! A teenager with an opinion, imagine that! Don't let things get under your skin, take from this thread the things that you can now see that makes a lot of sense and the other things,well, drop them out of your mind...I don't know you personally but have heard a few things about you and know you are high spirited and that's OK! And for the statement that you hear me cheering-I just got a big mouth, :thumb:

Also, just my opinion (seems like you have to say that on here even though it is an open "opinion" board) but again in my opinion-there are talented kids on this team but once again as I stated in an earlier post, talent can go to waste when it is not allowed to be used...Is it the fault of the coaches, maybe, is it the fault of injuries, maybe, is the fault of laziness from the child, maybe!?! Who knows BUT there is at least three that could have been fantastic this year with field experience...I do not know one single person that has talent that will not agree that you MUST use it or you can lose it...

Imagine a talented singer that never gets to have stage appearances and may have stage fright, no amount of talent is gonna help that person sing in front of thousands of people. Imagine a talented hockey player that has never been out on the ice with a team but maybe a couple times, if any - it would be RARE for his talent to help him score on a team that has been playing for a while! I could give a lot more but you get my picture... :thumb:

Sometimes people have NO talent but can go out and do the same thing over and over and become good at it, talent is good but not always necessary...

I am like whoever else it was on here hoping that the players are not reading this stuff because it is just a lot of people throwing out a lot of words that should not be getting in your head...

FINISH UP STRONG BOBCATS!

Kirk Williams is the kind of coach parents should want their kids to play for. Sure, the team might be down this year. But I assure you it's not because of Coach Williams and/or his offense. Greenbrier has won too many games with it throughout recent years (with and without Herndon).

So Greenbrier misses the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. Given their recent success the last thing anyone should do is play the blame game.

Kirk Williams is the kind of coach parents should want their kids to play for. Sure, the team might be down this year. But I assure you it's not because of Coach Williams and/or his offense. Greenbrier has won too many games with it throughout recent years (with and without Herndon).

So Greenbrier misses the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. Given their recent success the last thing anyone should do is play the blame game.

Humans have short memories. We likes us some success. In sports, as in life, it's 'what have you done for me lately' that always comes up. And even though I don't think anyone is infallible and I'm all for accountability, I'd like to give an "Amen" to that. :thumb:

As you can tell, I spend alot of time online here and elsewhere, but then, computers is my line of work. After the comment about there being a blog online of parents discussing this, I tried to find it, just to see what's being said. What I did find is blogs that players put out there after the games. I wouldn't have assumed that this would be the case, but I read that after the SC loss, the coaches were "laid back", and that a coach that is very expressive on the field didn't hardly say anything until Wednesday practice. This surprises me greatly that in this players eyes, the coaches were so passive. This would be the time to show correction and drive, and pump the team back up for the next game. I am not a Greenbrier naysayer, but kids follow the coaches demeanor. Now is not the time to slack. Take into consideration that even IF we don't win another game, finishing STRONG is a must. I would think the GAC would agree too since they are trying to sell the plan of building new bleachers. The fans love the Cats, but ask SC how many fans showed last year in their down season...

Amen to all of the above. Greenbrier has one of the best coaching staffs around!

You just can't please some people.

In the 1980's, I sat in the stands in Gallatin one night and listened to 2 parents in front of me grip the whole night about how poor Gallatin was coached, how they played the wrong players and how the administation needed to do something about the head coach. He kept saying, "I just hate it for the kids. They deserve better."

Gallatin was 12-0 and playing in the third round of the playoffs while the men were complaining that night.

Greenbrier will be back up again in the near future-maybe even by the end of the week.

I have not read any of the posts in this thread. My attention span is too short. I did however, read the title of the thread, and was a bit baffled. I have not followed Greenbrier football this year, but as someone who has encountered the team in past years, I think the idea of claiming Greenbrier's coaches aren't good enough is ridiculous. Their coaches, back in my day (which was not so long ago, we had electricity, running water, mp3's, and everything), had the players well prepared for the game, coached well, and, most importantly, had a group of players who were good people. So, whether this thread has bashed the coaches or has not, I missed the boat out of laziness, but Greenbrier has a great staff. That's just one screennames's point of view.

As you can tell, I spend alot of time online here and elsewhere, but then, computers is my line of work. After the comment about there being a blog online of parents discussing this, I tried to find it, just to see what's being said. What I did find is blogs that players put out there after the games. I wouldn't have assumed that this would be the case, but I read that after the SC loss, the coaches were "laid back", and that a coach that is very expressive on the field didn't hardly say anything until Wednesday practice. This surprises me greatly that in this players eyes, the coaches were so passive. This would be the time to show correction and drive, and pump the team back up for the next game. I am not a Greenbrier naysayer, but kids follow the coaches demeanor. Now is not the time to slack. Take into consideration that even IF we don't win another game, finishing STRONG is a must. I would think the GAC would agree too since they are trying to sell the plan of building new bleachers. The fans love the Cats, but ask SC how many fans showed last year in their down season...

I haven't seen any of the sites or blogs and to be honest... I don't think I really want to. I just heard it mentioned by a player that parents of one of the underclassman players were downing one of our more vocal coaches somewhere or another. If anyone has ever been around or watched the coaches, you'll see every level emotion and compassion spread throughout the group. One coach is calm and reserved, another is bouncing off the walls, another is somewhere in between. To me, it just seems that they have the right mix. I would love to see a breakout of the numbers of years of football experience, playing and coaching, that this group brings together. I doubt you'll find many others that will compare.

Please note....our coach is retiring at Page. If some people have that short of a memory at GB, please tell Kirk to apply at our house and bring some of the assistant coaches with him. We would be very grateful.

Good luck to Greenbrier the rest of the way. You moved the bar up there....sometimes people forget how hard it is to maintain.