Obion Co Central Rebels

VOREBS

I don't agree on the quality of athlete thing...I saw Central teams for years under Whitby that didn't have exactly Memphis quality talent win close to 30 games for many,many years...If you have a coach that can communicate his philosophy to his players and have those players buy into it and go all out for him you will have success....Take for example the night in Jackson when mighty Oak Hill played the Rebels with all those major college recruits and led only briefly(at the end of the game)..Take for example the day the #1 ranked and defending state champion Knoxville Austin East Roadrunners took on the Rebels for the Gold Ball and the Rebels dethroned them for the title..OC wasn't blessed with athletes on those teams..What they had were players who had a role and they did it to perfection...They played as team and they won...It's a formula that can be copied and one that can work....You don't have to have 5 star recruits to win in high school...It takes a total effort from everyone involved with the program..It won't be easy because Kail will step on some kid's toes that mommy and daddy think will be the next Micheal Jordan...How he deals with that when it comes up,and it will,will go along way in how this program goes over the next three or four years..I think though,that it will be easier for Kail because the parents in this county know what style he has and if they don't they can ask some of the Hillcrest kids,they will tell you....

This is a great post....Jimmy Whitby never had a Div I recruit (we all know how Cannon got to Ark). Most of his kids played for the likes of Jax St, DSCC, etc. after high school, if at all. What Jimmy did do was teach good old fashioned defense and high octane offense. His players did have specific roles and they practiced those rolls over and over until perfection. The games referenced above prove that a "team first" philosophy that Bill Kail will bring will consistently thrive over a bunch of "me firsts" that think the game is won by just stepping on the floor. Good luck to OCCHS this year. I'll be cheering for ya all the way from Jackson.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i most definately agree...while it might seem like there will be one or two "stars" doing the bulk of the scoring like with Whitby, this team should thrive together and really get after people. Don't be surprised to see Obion hold teams to 40 or 50 points alot of times because of Coach Kail's full court pressure and great man-on-man D. i really am excited and have high expectations for the first time in a while of the Rebels. Let's just hope they prove me right.

This is a great post....Jimmy Whitby never had a Div I recruit (we all know how Cannon got to Ark). Most of his kids played for the likes of Jax St, DSCC, etc. after high school, if at all. What Jimmy did do was teach good old fashioned defense and high octane offense. His players did have specific roles and they practiced those rolls over and over until perfection. The games referenced above prove that a "team first" philosophy that Bill Kail will bring will consistently thrive over a bunch of "me firsts" that think the game is won by just stepping on the floor. Good luck to OCCHS this year. I'll be cheering for ya all the way from Jackson.

Well oldtimer.....yours too is a great post. Coach Whitby did indeed have Role players, and did make the most out of what he had. I think Coach Kail will bring the hard work, team concept needed at OC, and will do well with this program. While there is alot of work to do, I think Coach Kail, and more importantly the players are ready to do just that, WORK.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lake Co and Central officials should be working on a deal to let the Lake Co Falcons and longtime coach Jimmy Whitby come open up the new gym..The gym would be packed...Even if the schedules have already been made..try to put this game on the schedule..Big money game!

I still wish Central would invite old coach Whitby back to play the 1st game in the gym..But..I guess they want to get a sure win in the first game...I'll try to get to a few of the Central games though..I have a son that goes to school there and I'm use to going to all the Lake Co games..I 've never been to a palace!

Lake Co and Central officials should be working on a deal to let the Lake Co Falcons and longtime coach Jimmy Whitby come open up the new gym..The gym would be packed...Even if the schedules have already been made..try to put this game on the schedule..Big money game!

The REBELS (JVB & VB) will play a Hall of Fame game against the Lake Co Falcons at Tiptonville on Nov. 18th---I to wished it could be played at Central. The first home game will be Nov. 30th against Gibson Co. what I have been told. We will play Union City on Nov. 21st at UC. "Go REBELS" :D:thumb:

The student section has refused to call the new gym The Palace..That's a media thing that will not stick......Welcome to Central Station..Home of the Rebels!!!!

Is the Grand Central Station going to stick or just Central Station?? :thumb:

Doesn't matter to me.. The students should have a hand in naming the gym because it's their school now.. I'm all for it :o

BACKINOC- Maybe we can name the Press Box -- Call it the "Rebel Perch"

What do ya think?? B)

The REBELS (JVB & VB) will play a Hall of Fame game against the Lake Co Falcons at Tiptonville on Nov. 18th---I to wished it could be played at Central. The first home game will be Nov. 30th against Gibson Co. what I have been told. We will play Union City on Nov. 21st at UC. "Go REBELS" :PB)

I'm glad these two schools are playing..even if it is un-official as far as counting the game..Maybe this game will lead to renewing a home and home game against each other the next few years

Jason Harrell - Tennessee Tech

Jason Harrell - Tennessee Tech

My bad Cam. Jason was a very good player, but I didn't realize that he went on to play at TT on a full scholarship. That was my intent of a Div I recruit. Otherwise, Most players get partial sports scholarships along with Financial Aid and Scholastic (sp) Scholarships. Either way, he thrived under the Whitby system and I hope got a great education from TT.

yea but he didn't exactly have his best years in college. Trouble seemed to follow him his whole time there. But back to the current Rebels. Where do you see them finishing in the district regular season and tournament? Personally, i predict a third place finish during the regular season, and the tournament should be quite exciting. I'm saying a region berth for the 2nd year in a row and either a second or third place finish during the district tourney.

yea but he didn't exactly have his best years in college. Trouble seemed to follow him his whole time there. But back to the current Rebels. Where do you see them finishing in the district regular season and tournament? Personally, i predict a third place finish during the regular season, and the tournament should be quite exciting. I'm saying a region berth for the 2nd year in a row and either a second or third place finish during the district tourney.

I haven't followed them as much the last few years, up until last year. But if they buy into Coach Kail's philosophy and stick with the program, your predictions should be fairly close. They may even surprise someone during the tournaments.