A/AA tournament bracket contest

BigG

VG, that's not what the coach meant. His quote is driven by the talk among the team since they saw the movie "Facing the Giants". He in no way was comparing the faith of the JCS girls to the faith of the girls on the Madison team. It's unfortunate that it came out that way.

Coach Duffy sounds like a good person. I think we should drop this thread.

Sorry, not the contest....just the talk about coach Duffy!

Edited by superdog

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VG, that's not what the coach meant. His quote is driven by the talk among the team since they saw the movie "Facing the Giants". He in no way was comparing the faith of the JCS girls to the faith of the girls on the Madison team. It's unfortunate that it came out that way.

Yeah..that movie just got to Jackson last week, so if that is the premise behind the quote then it is not long lived to be sure unless they saw the movie by some other means than a Jackson theater. I can tell you that I wasn`t the only Madison parent offended by his quote in the paper. I can see what you are saying, I can even understand it, but most folks who read that statement in the paper would only judge it by what he said. I can tell you this...whatever it was he meant by the statement was overcome by the way it was presented in the paper. I`m sure you would agree that it could easily be interpreted as a bit arrogant. I`m sure you would take offense if I or at the very least rolled your eyes if I said I`m a better Christian than you.

Anyways...If it were me I would be a bit concerned if I were the coach and was quoted in the paper like that and it was not the way in which it was intended. I`m not the only one that read it and had the same thought about it. I`ve heard from several people and they all thought the same way I did about it when I initially read it. He could have just been simply complimenting his players on the way they act and think, but in print it came across as a hit on the Madison girls. It just didn`t come across very reflectively on JCS. I appreciate all the nice, friendly, accepting, and concerned responses from folks who I assume are JCS affiliated.

"The difference was their Christian faith, and themselves," JCS coach Bill Duffy said. "Madison played a great game, had more shots, but Shelby Towater stepped up."

Yeah..that movie just got to Jackson last week, so if that is the premise behind the quote then it is not long lived to be sure unless they saw the movie by some other means than a Jackson theater. I can tell you that I wasn`t the only Madison parent offended by his quote in the paper. I can see what you are saying, I can even understand it, but most folks who read that statement in the paper would only judge it by what he said. I can tell you this...whatever it was he meant by the statement was overcome by the way it was presented in the paper. I`m sure you would agree that it could easily be interpreted as a bit arrogant. I`m sure you would take offense if I or at the very least rolled your eyes if I said I`m a better Christian than you.

Anyways...If it were me I would be a bit concerned if I were the coach and was quoted in the paper like that and it was not the way in which it was intended. I`m not the only one that read it and had the same thought about it. I`ve heard from several people and they all thought the same way I did about it when I initially read it. He could have just been simply complimenting his players on the way they act and think, but in print it came across as a hit on the Madison girls. It just didn`t come across very reflectively on JCS. I appreciate all the nice, friendly, accepting, and concerned responses from folks who I assume are JCS affiliated.

Thanks for understanding. As you have opportunity, we'd appreciate you passing along the accurate information and our regrets for the impression left in the paper.

Sorry, not the contest....just the talk about coach Duffy!

superdog...I don`t necessarily agree with any negative talk of a coach. I`m a moderator on the football board and public/private board and I try my best to protect the integrity of any coach from those who just have vendetta against a coach. But I also believe that once a coach talks to a reporter and publically gives their opinion on a subject then it is open for discussion on a board like this. Coach Duffy`s statement is public record now. That was his own doing. I initially found it pretty arrogant. I brought it up here to get other opinions. I`m not trying to be judgemental on him, but if I was wrong then I wanted to hear others side of the story. I haven`t posted a whole lot on the soccer board, but I find BigG to be a very good moderator for this board. If he thinks this subject should be dropped then so be it. In hindsight I should have started a new thread on this subject and in that regard I`m just like any other poster. If he wants the subject to be dropped on this thread then that`s okay with me. I can start a new thread. I don`t think I ever attacked the coach. I just expressed an opinion on what he was quoted in the paper.

VG,

I regret you or anyone at Madison was offended by comments in the paper by our coach...I know many students who attend Madison and beleive them all to have a very strong christian faith...I think as has been said here the context of how you read it is everything...I read it as a compliment to our girls and not a slam on anyone else or a comparison of our teams faith vs anyone elses...after reading your post I did re-read it and can see how you or others might have read it as a slam on your teams faith...for that I am truely sorry...I think Madison has a strong squad and will be a real force next year...as I said on the Madison thread, all of the players I spoke with from JCS and USJ both had a lot of respect for Madison and hoped to avoid them in the sub-state round...as it turned out it fell to us to have too...your girls played well and have nothing to be ashamed of...

Sorry VG, I didn't really mean that you shouldn't have raisied the issue. What I was really saying was the issue was raised and addressed it appears that the comments were taken out of context. I just never like it when specific individuals are discussed on the boards on the negative side. I am glad you were able to get the background to his comments to help understand where the coach was coming from.

While I do enjoy that this takes away from the fact that I am being beaten by Coniglio, we have probably covered all we need to about JC. If you would like to start another thread, you are more than welcome, but I think everyone has said what needs to be said.

Conig... I just earned 10 points with the Notre Dame win. On the comeback trail! (unless, of course, you picked them too of which I am too lazy to go back 7 pages and look)

While I do enjoy that this takes away from the fact that I am being beaten by Coniglio, we have probably covered all we need to about JC. If you would like to start another thread, you are more than welcome, but I think everyone has said what needs to be said.

Conig... I just earned 10 points with the Notre Dame win. On the comeback trail! (unless, of course, you picked them too of which I am too lazy to go back 7 pages and look)

If your on the comeback, so am i. You should include me in all yours posts.

Lesson learned for the boys season... never pick against BigG... ever.

CAK vs USJ in the final. I'm sensing a CAK rout.

Coniglio...saw you at the game talking to BigG...hope he was nice (difficult for him I know).

Hey BigG...I just went back and looked at my picks...I've got USJ v. CAK in final - wasn't that also your pick? Thus................you can't beat me, can you? I can taste that Sam 'N' Andy's Vol Special right now! :thumb: