Top Linebackers in 1A

BigDogBaller

He may have been mentioned already but Wade Mitchell of FCS

He has 111 tackles and missed over half of the Collinwood game with a shoulder stinger and did not play the second half in at least two other games because of the score. He is just one of those young men that has a knack for being around the football. He had over 20 tackles against Monterey and stepped-up huge in the Gordonsville and Trousdale games with double digit tackles and made big stops in the red zone both weeks to prevent scores.

He should be a candidate for the lineman award for A Mr. Football.

Edited by Halibut

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully I can get Acie Ensor post. He would certainly do much better than me.

Roger Shaw (graduated with me in 1974, so I'm biased), was the best football player (linebacker/center/guard), that I ever played with. He did Everything correct (when he officiates, they call him "by-the-book Shaw."

Wayne Pierce, a member of the great teams of the 50s, said he thought the best Pair was Shaw and Tom Houghton, who graduated the year after us. Houghton was the fullback during my junior and senior seasons.

But like has been posted a few times, it's all about TEAM PLAY!

Examples: Maury, a great, top-rated team in 1973, defeated us seven-six, in overtime. We defeated South Greene six-nothing. Shaw and Houghton led a very good overall defense, not unlike the way Unaka's defense has played this season.

Jamie Buckles (1971, I think), at 115 pounds, was tremndous. He has two (or is it three?) sons, Justin and Jamin, who were very good.

Acie and J. J. Brewer.

Roger Dale Taylor (Roger's sons were both very good) and Carl Ray Nidiffer were both great.

I'll study and get back to you.

Edited by krichunaka

Michael Runion and Matt Lane have become a tough duo for the Tigers from HR-Bruceton. At first look they dont fit in the "prototype" image of a LB. But, let me tell ya: They will flat out hit you in the mouth. They lay it on the line every play, every snap from beginning to end. They are fun to watch. They both would be:

ALL - MADDEN

dirty, sweaty, muddy, grass stains, bloody, scratched, bruised, front of helmet battered with scrathes and mutiple colors, shirt tail hanging out, etc. These guys look like the old pictures you see of football players from the 50's and 60's

Just hard nosed kids who play their butts off - They fly around a "hit" people every play.

My applause goes to them and their teammates. GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Josh Smith is one of the best linebackers in the whole world. He is rough and tough and will hit u in the mouth every play. He WILL go to the NFL someday and be the next Joe Montana. BUT...... he will have to lose all that fat. I think he is weighing around 300 pounds right now. But anyway, GO JOSH!!!!

Josh Smith is one of the best linebackers in the whole world. He is rough and tough and will hit u in the mouth every play. He WILL go to the NFL someday and be the next Joe Montana. BUT...... he will have to lose all that fat. I think he is weighing around 300 pounds right now. But anyway, GO JOSH!!!!

i don't know if he is the best in the world or will play in the nfl but he is a very good player and he is the leader of the temple defense

I totally agree the stats need to be kept by someone who would be objective. The defense is good, but I don't think you can single out one player. The line, LBs, and DBs is what makes the defense not just one player. The bottom line is winning, not stats.

Go Rangers!!!!

I was talking to one of the parents at work about the Jellico game. This stat thing is getting out of control. Something needs to be done.

I was talking to one of the parents at work about the Jellico game. This stat thing is getting out of control. Something needs to be done.

This is really funny cause I am one of the parents and I don't or haven't heard of any complaining. I do know that the boys work as a team and know that they need each other to make it happen. They each contribute whether it is a lot or a little. Every postition on the team needs the next that is why its a team and not an individual sport. The gaurd might hit the runner and slow him down for the linebacker to make the tackle or the DE might get in the QB's face so he makes a bad throw so the safety intercepts it. It is a team sport and everyone needs to contribute. I believe our boys get along and are very happy when the other gets the tackle or interception so please don't get on here and make like they are fighting because they are not. They pull for each other and that is how it should be.

I think I missed something..... :lol: Joe Montana; 300lb linebacker.......Someone please tell me that Joe Montana played linebacker in high school or something......???? Forgive my ignorance :lol::lol:

the Best linebacker i have ever seen was a duo.. the banks Brothers from spitt on the 94 state championship team im sure some of you guys remember them, they were known as the killer B's.. i wished i had there stat's but i dont.. but i can tell you of leg one back was broke two nose's were broke a few concusion's and some real headaches they have gave a few.. they hit so hard for 185 lb's ... if anyone remembers them tell me what u thought..

what game have you been watching? he's pretty good but 14 15 a game that's a little high i would say.it's hard to really tell in real time it would be a guess. the other lbs are pretty good also and the front is pretty good.22,18 force things in pretty good also.only consern is 3rd down big play situation.

We all appreciate your valued critque of our defensive unit as a whole, however, you should have seen a game in the second half of the season before making a comment. #18 has not been part of our defensive front for at least 4 ballgames. He has become a valued part of our linebacking corp though. Yes, stats are a good thing. Whats bad is when parents take it personal, like it is an attack on how good or bad their child is doing. I'm going to bet that you are in this category. Sportiemom said it best. the kids do not put anything into the stats. they all realize it is a team and defensive unit, not individuals. If the DL was not occuping double teams, our LB's would not be open as often to make the tackles they do make. If the DL was not pressuring the QB, our DB's would not be able to take advantage of poor throws and make plays. They all feed off of each other, and play as a team. If this stuff was not being brought up to them from the outside, it would never bother them. The lockerroom right now has a family atmosphere to it. with no jealousy. If your child is not getting the recognition with the stats, tell him to work harder, but above all, work within the system of the defense. Parents need to quit whining and just support the team. There is an important game this week and players and coaches alike need out support.

We all appreciate your valued critque of our defensive unit as a whole, however, you should have seen a game in the second half of the season before making a comment. #18 has not been part of our defensive front for at least 4 ballgames. He has become a valued part of our linebacking corp though. Yes, stats are a good thing. Whats bad is when parents take it personal, like it is an attack on how good or bad their child is doing. I'm going to bet that you are in this category. Sportiemom said it best. the kids do not put anything into the stats. they all realize it is a team and defensive unit, not individuals. If the DL was not occuping double teams, our LB's would not be open as often to make the tackles they do make. If the DL was not pressuring the QB, our DB's would not be able to take advantage of poor throws and make plays. They all feed off of each other, and play as a team. If this stuff was not being brought up to them from the outside, it would never bother them. The lockerroom right now has a family atmosphere to it. with no jealousy. If your child is not getting the recognition with the stats, tell him to work harder, but above all, work within the system of the defense. Parents need to quit whining and just support the team. There is an important game this week and players and coaches alike need out support.

some people gotta work. stats are bad when they are leaked out no one thinks about them until they are put out for people who don't need them.this was not brought up to them from the outside it was an inside job according to earlier posts and the dc stat leaks to a poster .stats are for loosers and glory hounds team is all that matters team stats are all that count. think about this no stat leak and we aren't having this conversation think about it. coffe time.