Ooltewah, State Champs?

WaCoJaCo

All things being equal good coaching wins playoff games, great coaching wins championships. The in-game adjustments Coach Monroe and his staff has made this year have been phenominal. Look at the scoring by quarters. Ooltewah has given up

41 first quarter points

31 second quarter

28 third quarter

28 fourth quarter (21 from a monster effort by the Farragut QB)

The owls have taken the opposing teams best shots and then figured out how to stop them. That to me is a sign of great coaching.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All things being equal good coaching wins playoff games, great coaching wins championships. The in-game adjustments Coach Monroe and his staff has made this year have been phenominal. Look at the scoring by quarters. Ooltewah has given up

41 first quarter points

31 second quarter

28 third quarter

28 fourth quarter (21 from a monster effort by the Farragut QB)

The owls have taken the opposing teams best shots and then figured out how to stop them. That to me is a sign of great coaching.

i would agree 100%

I do not diagree with the fact that good coaching is essential to a winning and even more importantly to a championship team. The scary thing for Ooltewah is not getting themselves in a position where they have to respond to previously poor play and pick it up a notch. The further you go in the playoffs, the more likely a deficit is going to difficult to overcome.

Good luck to the Owls. They will win the next few weeks, then things will get very serious. Hope they have a great run!

That has to be the dumbest statement I have ever heard on here,sorry. If that were the case put anybody coaching and let the players loose. You are kidding right? You think Ooltewah's program is on the rise due to the Officiating and LUCK? Why do you think Maryville's program is where it is today? Coach Quarles and Co have everything to do with it. Why is everyone on Coach Stevens at Oak Ridge? I just don't understand why you say this? Yes you have to have the players but a good coach can take above average players and get the best out of them. Look at the threads on here. If the Owls are young and inexperienced and NOT the best team people have seen play, why do you think they are beating teams? Why are teams with lots of talent not? COACHING! Yes occasionally you get teams that can win regardless but how much better would they have been with a great coach. Coaching is more than just calling plays as well, it is about building a program...and all that comes withthat.Also the deficits are often overcome by adjustments by the coaches. Look at the Oak Ridge Ooltewah game last year. You think they just stepped it up a notch? OR, maybe coach Monroe called some great plays. Probably both. Maybe Ooltewah is overated and playing over their heads...maybe not..a team that keeps winning has something going for it besides luck. They have a great coaching staff...lots of young talent and they don't know they aren't suppose to be where they are. WHOOOOOO knows. but however far they do get I feeling the coaching staff is responsible for alot of it.

He agreed and said coaching was a huge part of it. No need to jump on BisBest. He is a very smart man who gives great opinions and is very realistic. I enjoy reading his post!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sorry. I am the dumbest this morning. I thought he was disagreeing and I deleted my post when i realized. I think I am still asleep from watching the VA TECH and Clemson game last night. I think he is a very smart man as well. I need a cup of coffee! :D maybe 2 :thumb:

He agreed and said coaching was a huge part of it. No need to jump on BisBest. He is a very smart man who gives great opinions and is very realistic. I enjoy reading his post!

Thanks, ImaOwl. Even though I live in Chattanooga, I do try to post realistically about the games and various topics.

I do believe has a very good football team, and I have had the opportunity to see them play a couple of times this year. My assessment is simply one that tries to look at the whole picture, and give an honest review of what I have seen and been able to find out about high school football in TN.

I really do hope Ooltewah does well. At the same time each week will present a larger problem. Dobyns-Bennett is going to be a huge challenge for the Owls and if they win that game, which I believe is an edge to DB because of their experience, they will then have to play Riverdale, and the are a beast of team and opponent.

It was Riverdale that came to Ooltewah after their last 10-game winning streak and beat them. If the Owls make it through the first three rounds, maybe they can shock everyone and knock off Riverdale. I, for one, would love to see it, but I still believe it is going to be a very tough task. Besides they have to win to get there, but doesn't everyone?

So Bad. did I ever say that Ooltewah is a bad team. Just because I said they will not win the state championship that does not mean they are "so bad.". They have had a great season. They just will not win it.

I see the 1st and 2nd round as follows:

DB over WB, Sev Co over McMinn, Farragut over Bearden, Ooltewah over SHill

DB over Farragut, Sev Co over Ooltewah.

Region 1's 1 and 2 are better than anything Region 2 has to offer.

Boy took all the home teams real gutsy coach. Be ready to be surprized with 25A's ability to play away from the house.

This is my favorite time of the year and because Maryville will soon be 5A IMO, I have followed 5A more closely the past two years. Because you have asked about the Owls and used words like “Can they be stopped” I would like to throw my two cents in on the 5A play-offs in the eastern bracket.

I think Ooltewah will most likely play Bearden in the first round. I expect Ooltewah to beat Bearden or even Science Hill on their home turf and advance to the second round. I also think Sevier Co will beat McMinn and travel to Ooltewah for the second round game. Here is the problem for the owls. Ooltewah has not beaten a quality team save for Oak Ridge this year. Anyone with a half a functioning cranium knows Oak Ridge is no where near the team they were years past. Region 2 in my opinion is the weakest region of the four regions in ETN this year. Sevier Co.’s only two loses came to W. Blount during the first game of the season and last month to DB by a field goal! Trust me losing to W. Blount was a fluke and a rally point for a very well coached team that presently are very high on community emotion. There are a lot of little brothers on this year’s team who watched their big brothers bring home the 5A gold Ball in 1999. Sevier County’s Coach Steve Brewer knows how to get it done and play-off football in nothing like regular season football in many regards. One also might note of all the great 5A programs through years since there were 5 classes the only one that brought the gold ball home to region 1-3, was Sevier Co. I do not think Ooltewah has the horses to get past Sevier or DB this year. Not to mention Riverdale, Smyrna or maybe even Lebanon this year. Ooltewah might be 9-0 but they are 0-0 going into the play-offs and will not face a good team till the second round. Big game experience of the players or in the coaching staff is huge in my opinion, and Ooltewah does not have it. The best thing going for them is they have an opportunity to have home field through out, but they won’t have those home field officials’. Another issue, but an issue non-the-less. The owls have had a great season and have moved up a notch but their equipment turn in date should be scheduled on Monday November the 13th and Blue Cross Bowl tickets are still available.

They may be rated #3 by the fan poll on Coacht, but that is no stable to hang ones hat on and is just silly. But good luck to the Owls.