7-5A vs 8-5A

kwc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LaSal2000,

What do you think it's gonna take to finally get Whitehaven's football program turned around (have my ideas)?

Please don't hold back, Lasal2000. Lay it all out on the table!

Given this current trend and Whitehaven's participation in the always-tough Region 8-5A, Whitehaven's football program will likely have many more disappointing years--just like this one!

Without holding back, I personally think that if we look at the problem areas of the team we can see who needs to go. I think they need to clean house and look for help outside of Whitehaven alumni. The recievers and the running back coaches are outstanding.They have consistantly produced skilled wide recievers and running backs over the past 10 years. Other than them, clean house and recruit quality coaches with experience. I understand the present coach needs time to develop and learn, however Whitehaven already has a tradition and is a respectable program. The idea of giving a new coach extended time to learn is exceptable for developing programs, not programs already developed. Besides he has had 4 years to go to the playoffs. The most frustrating part is that he has had D-1 athletes on the team. I can understand if he had underskilled players on his team, but not going to the playoffs with the caliber players on the team is unacceptable. If they don't do something soon, we will become another Westwood. Learn from Melrose and correct the problem. Nothing personal, Just about getting results.

Without holding back, I personally think that if we look at the problem areas of the team we can see who needs to go. I think they need to clean house and look for help outside of Whitehaven alumni. The recievers and the running back coaches are outstanding.They have consistantly produced skilled wide recievers and running backs over the past 10 years. Other than them, clean house and recruit quality coaches with experience. I understand the present coach needs time to develop and learn, however Whitehaven already has a tradition and is a respectable program. The idea of giving a new coach extended time to learn is exceptable for developing programs, not programs already developed. Besides he has had 4 years to go to the playoffs. The most frustrating part is that he has had D-1 athletes on the team. I can understand if he had underskilled players on his team, but not going to the playoffs with the caliber players on the team is unacceptable. If they don't do something soon, we will become another Westwood. Learn from Melrose and correct the problem. Nothing personal, Just about getting results.

Lasal2000,

I appreciate your candor. I happen to agree with you, 100%!

Whitehaven's current Principal is not likely to change head Coaches...From what I've heard, he and Coach Saulsberry are VERY TIGHT Pals and maybe even ex-teammates or something! Therefore, the much needed house-cleaning is not likely to take place, either.

All of this is very unfortunate for the future sucess of Whitehaven football, IMO. Things are simply not going to get any better under the current Coaching staff (specifically Head Coach). 4 Years of recent History illustrates that point. Quite frankly, it's borderline insanity to think otherwise.

It's been said that Whitehaven's current Coach brings a lot the table and, as such, should be judged on more than just wins and losses--he's a great role model and has a positive influence on the players, as individuals, etc... Therefore, he shouldn't be dismissed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have much respect and admiration for Coach Saulberry's overall influence on the kids @ Whitehaven. I have a slightly different "take" on that issue, however:

Coach Saulsberry is not only a Coach @Whitehaven; he's also a TEACHER. As such, he can just as easily continue to be a great role model and positive influence...as a teacher, ONLY! He needs to be replaced as Head Coach. Period. The sooner, the better! If that does not happen, then it is not realistic for Whitehaven fans to expect any different results than what they've already gotten, for the past 4 years: Wasted talent and consistent underachievement.

UPSET: Collierville 14 -- Woodale 7.

I'll post some post-game comments tomorrow.

Woodale's uninspiring performance and loss to Collierville is no real cause for alarm, in my view. Rather, it was completely understandible (to me, anyway), given the monsoon-like conditions and the fact that this game was about as INSIGNIFICANT as it could ever get for Woodale (Amazingly, there were quite a few fans brazen enough to actually sit through this entire slop-fest of a game, myself included).

The loss actually may have been a blessing in disquise for playoff-bound Woodale. I suspect that its coaching staff will likely now find its players (and staff) a whole lot more receptive to its lessons:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I don't care how good a team you have, if you constantly give your opponent a short field, for whatever reason, then you're likely to lose.

2) It's playoff time now. There are no more "tommorrows." Get it together or else your season is over!

3) Good weather or bad, mental mistakes and turnovers will send you home packing. There are no more 2nd-chances. Get it together or else...

4) The long-snapper needs to work overtime in practice! Get it together or else....

His snaps were absolutely horrendous. Two or three times, his errant snaps caused the punter to have to scramble frantically for the ball, allowing Collerville to tackle him and take over in great field position....I'm not so quick to blame the weather for his errant snaps, because the Collierville long-snapper had absolutely no problems at all.

5) "Time-out" management--(actually this one is for the coaching staff, itself). Please don't burn up all your time outs during the 1st or 3rd qtrs! Let's get it together or else...

Woodale's Coaches apparently need to learn save at least ONE, at least one timeout for the end of halves/games! This same problem has occured in numerous game, this year.

Geez--not every little misaligned formation, momentary bout of confusion, change in wind speeds, dip in barometric pressure or whatever...it does not warrant calling a time-out! For Pete's sake, you only get 3 time-outs per half, not 4 or 5. Therefore when you run out of them...Hello--they ain't gonna give you anymore! Dang, what on earth is so difficult to understand about that?

Astounding. Absolutely astonishing!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, Woodale's coach (Miller) has often come across as a cry-baby and being very negative, after ballgames. He would often get so caught up in criticizing the officiating, that he would fail to give the opponent proper credit....Well, I want to take this opportunity commend Woodale's coach for his classy, post-game comments (88.5 FM) following Thursday night's loss to Collierville.

Coach Miller actually gave Collierville 100% credit for earning its season-ending victory!

Sure, Coach Miller pointed how his team constantly shot itself in the foot with crucial mistakes, but he quickly came back and emphasized strongly that none of that was any excuse! He commented that Collierville deserved all the credit for its gallant effort--how they executed well and were, therefore, able to take advantage of its opportunities. "They played a great ballgame. Absolutely no excuses...We just got beat, tonight..." he insisted.

Now, I can respect that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck in the playoffs, to Coach Miller and Woodale.

Edited by TraderB

First Round:

Houston vs. Bolton- Houston wins ugly once again

White Station vs. Cordove- White Station wins

Woodale vs Millington-If it rains once again Millington well Heck I will just go ahead and say upset special Millington in this one.

Gtown vs Ridgeway-Ridgeway wins by atleast 14

Second Round

Houston vs. Whitestation- White Station, lighting dosen't strike twice in the same place. Talked to Jeff Link from what I hear will play so it's the Spartans in this one.

Millington vs. Ridgeway- Rematch of a very emotional game a pumped up Ridgeway team with A. Crawford will win this rematch by double digits.

City Champ Game

White Station vs. Ridgeway- This will be by far the most emotional game in the city the entire year. Rivals going at it for a chance to host State semis it dosent get any better then that. Ridgeway's d line and offensive play will tear up the Spartans. I am calling 5 sacks atleast, Link will never see two better D ends in his high school playing time. Crawford will be a mad man and Ridgeway will RUN OVER THE SPARTANS!!

Edited by ridgeway rowdy

First Round:

Houston vs. Bolton- Houston wins ugly once again

White Station vs. Cordove- White Station wins

Woodale vs Millington-If it rains once again Millington well Heck I will just go ahead and say upset special Millington in this one.

Gtown vs Ridgeway-Ridgeway wins by atleast 14

Second Round

Houston vs. Whitestation- White Station, lighting dosen't strike twice in the same place. Talked to Jeff Link from what I hear will play so it's the Spartans in this one.

Millington vs. Ridgeway- Rematch of a very emotional game a pumped up Ridgeway team with A. Crawford will win this rematch by double digits.

City Champ Game

White Station vs. Ridgeway- This will be by far the most emotional game in the city the entire year. Rivals going at it for a chance to host State semis it dosent get any better then that. Ridgeway's d line and offensive play will tear up the Spartans. I am calling 5 sacks atleast, Link will never see two better D ends in his high school playing time. Crawford will be a mad man and Ridgeway will RUN OVER THE SPARTANS!!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy killer...#1 Millingotn will have to be almost perfect to beat Wooddale...I think (and i hope) it will be Ridgeway v. White Station in the quarters and think Ridgeway will represent the M once again in the semis...by the way...in your Houston-White Station rematch...how effective do you think Links gonna be witht hat messed up shoulder. its not jsut going to magically heal and be perfectly fine. something liek that takes time especially for a QB...but i ultimately hope its Ridgeway against White Station...oh and yes those 2 defensive ends are the two best any of these QB's will see in their HS careers.

UPSET: Collierville 14 -- Woodale 7.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitehaven clobbers the real (back-down-to-earth) Houston Mustangs!

Whitehaven was playing for a lot out there and Houston knew they were in the playoffs. As it was WHS's senior night and potential last game, they played with deep conviction. Now, Houston may have had a bad game (I know, I play for them), but you're counting them out so quickly?

I can see Millington over Wooddale,Millington has a pretty good d-line that can put pressure on the QB,and they can run the ball pretty good,I think Bolton has a good chance to beat Houston,I think Bolton has been playing some very good football of late,White Station will take care of Cordova (may not be as easy as alot of people think)but Cordova will just not be able to score,and Ridgeway will take care of Germantown(may be close but I dont care of its not but by 1).JMO

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy killer...#1 Millingotn will have to be almost perfect to beat Wooddale...I think (and i hope) it will be Ridgeway v. White Station in the quarters and think Ridgeway will represent the M once again in the semis...by the way...in your Houston-White Station rematch...how effective do you think Links gonna be witht hat messed up shoulder. its not jsut going to magically heal and be perfectly fine. something liek that takes time especially for a QB...but i ultimately hope its Ridgeway against White Station...oh and yes those 2 defensive ends are the two best any of these QB's will see in their HS careers.

Was it his throwing shoulder?

OK folks, tomorrow is the big day. This thread has lain dormant pretty long. Wake Up everybody! I can only imagine the number of football players unable to get any sleep tonight thinking about the big games tomorrow.

Man oh man ... Millington @ Wooddale. I can only imagine the coaching schemes that have been put into effect to neutralize the other teams offense. If you were the Millington coach, how would you defend Wooddale? Vice Versa, If you were Wooddale, what would you do to slow down that vaunted Millington ground game?

Bolton hosting Houston. All I can say is slobberknocker! I can hear those bonecrushing LB meets FB meetings right now! Does Bolton have enough 'O' to generate enough points to beat Houston? Will this be another low scoring affair? Did the real Houston showup last week at Whitehaven or were they just playing possom because they knew they were in already?

White Station hosting Cordova. I don't know what to think about Cordova. Yeah, they only won 4 games, but if you look at their record you realize they have a pretty good defense. ECS scored 21 points on them. Collierville put 17 on them. Bartlett, Houston, Millington and Ridgeway each scored 14 points and Craigmont got shut out. They seem to be severely challanged offensively. Heck, all they could muster against Craigmont was 6 points. That's not going to cut it.

Then there is Ridgeway hosting Germantown. Man ... of all the first round teams for Ridgeway to have to face! looking back on the season, that 3-0 victory over a now 4-6 JCM (7-4A) doesn't look so good does it? Then there was the 7-41 shalacking they took off of S. Panola, only to have Olive Branch come back and almost beat S. Panola. Top that off with two back-to-back OT losses to White Station and Houston respectively. Only to lose to Wooddale by a TD the next game after that! This is a brand new season for Germantown. Erase the regular season and start fresh. This isn't your ordinary 4 seed, I'll say that!

Oh well ... just thinking out loud.

OK folks, tomorrow is the big day. This thread has lain dormant pretty long. Wake Up everybody! I can only imagine the number of football players unable to get any sleep tonight thinking about the big games tomorrow.

Man oh man ... Millington @ Wooddale. I can only imagine the coaching schemes that have been put into effect to neutralize the other teams offense. If you were the Millington coach, how would you defend Wooddale? Vice Versa, If you were Wooddale, what would you do to slow down that vaunted Millington ground game?

Bolton hosting Houston. All I can say is slobberknocker! I can hear those bonecrushing LB meets FB meetings right now! Does Bolton have enough 'O' to generate enough points to beat Houston? Will this be another low scoring affair? Did the real Houston showup last week at Whitehaven or were they just playing possom because they knew they were in already?

White Station hosting Cordova. I don't know what to think about Cordova. Yeah, they only won 4 games, but if you look at their record you realize they have a pretty good defense. ECS scored 21 points on them. Collierville put 17 on them. Bartlett, Houston, Millington and Ridgeway each scored 14 points and Craigmont got shut out. They seem to be severely challanged offensively. Heck, all they could muster against Craigmont was 6 points. That's not going to cut it.

Then there is Ridgeway hosting Germantown. Man ... of all the first round teams for Ridgeway to have to face! looking back on the season, that 3-0 victory over a now 4-6 JCM (7-4A) doesn't look so good does it? Then there was the 7-41 shalacking they took off of S. Panola, only to have Olive Branch come back and almost beat S. Panola. Top that off with two back-to-back OT losses to White Station and Houston respectively. Only to lose to Wooddale by a TD the next game after that! This is a brand new season for Germantown. Erase the regular season and start fresh. This isn't your ordinary 4 seed, I'll say that!

Oh well ... just thinking out loud.

So who are you picking????

I haven't seen any of the 8-A teams so I don't have any first hand info to go by.

I've said before that Mil. and Cor. couldn't beat us with Crawford on the sideline so I just don't see them winning. Useless 8-A isn't as strong as you(everyone) though???? G/town lost 3 in a row in the region, why??? Are they not that good and really are a 4 seed, have the other teams improved and knocked them down, or do they have locker room problems??? Just alot of unknowns as far as I'm concerned?

The one I really don't understand is Houston. With W/dale losing they could have been #1, but some people from there said they were just happy to be in the playoffs??? Who wouldn't put it on the line to play the first game at home???

Bolten has already beat them and Bolten almost beat us with Crawford.If they are in that frame of mind then I see them as a one and out.

As far as R/way, Crawford is going to get hit hard and often. We are fixing to see how far you can go with a great defense and a great kicker. I just don't see our offense outscoreing anyone from here on out. The Mill. game was a fluke, not a turning point.

This is Cooley's last year. Old saying,"Save you best for last." I know , same as you know, that coaches don't win games, but he better be at his best starting last Monday cause we're going to need some magic to get out of Memphis.

So who are you picking????

I haven't seen any of the 8-A teams so I don't have any first hand info to go by.

I've said before that Mil. and Cor. couldn't beat us with Crawford on the sideline so I just don't see them winning. Useless 8-A isn't as strong as you(everyone) though???? G/town lost 3 in a row in the region, why??? Are they not that good and really are a 4 seed, have the other teams improved and knocked them down, or do they have locker room problems??? Just alot of unknowns as far as I'm concerned?

The one I really don't understand is Houston. With W/dale losing they could have been #1, but some people from there said they were just happy to be in the playoffs??? Who wouldn't put it on the line to play the first game at home???

Bolten has already beat them and Bolten almost beat us with Crawford.If they are in that frame of mind then I see them as a one and out.

As far as R/way, Crawford is going to get hit hard and often. We are fixing to see how far you can go with a great defense and a great kicker. I just don't see our offense outscoreing anyone from here on out. The Mill. game was a fluke, not a turning point.

This is Cooley's last year. Old saying,"Save you best for last." I know , same as you know, that coaches don't win games, but he better be at his best starting last Monday cause we're going to need some magic to get out of Memphis.

You are being quite a cynicist PAPAW...we didn't have much of a QB last year, but we definitely had #32 and you see how that turned out...Denton didn't play well at all in last year's Germantown game and we won quite easily...I am by no means saying that these two teams are the same as last year and that the game will turn out the same...but I think we pull this one out. Don't worry and be happy...get behind us!