Cross Bracketing For Playoffs

Red Rebels

In cross bracketing you don't play the teams in your region till way into the playoffs if you both make it that far. A cross bracket for the East end of the state would look something like this for the first round.

1st Region 1

4th Region 2

2nd Region 4

3rd Region 3

1st Region 3

4th Region 4

2nd Region 2

3rd Region 1

1st Region 2

4th Region 1

2nd Region 3

3rd Region 4

1st Region 4

4th Region 3

2nd Region 1

3rd Region 2

To see what the west end would look like just replace 1 with 5, 2 with 6, etc.

It doesn't change the first round but it puts the teams in your region on the other end of the bracket. I think it would make for some interesting matchups and if one region was really that much stronger we would know it.

I believe before the 06 (might have been 05) season the TSSAA voted to have the cross-bracketing starting in the 2nd round and it was voted down because of the travel that some schools would face.

I think first round is a bit early, but I wish they would start it in the second round. I hate having to play a team twice in a season, and I think this would do away with a lot of it.

Until just a few years ago, this is how the playoffs were done. Travel got to be a problem when a) went from 3 to 5 classes and ;) public vs private split....

If the TSSAA would do away with D1 & D2 and go to 4 classifications while using the "MERIT SYSTEM" you could eliminate 99% of all the problems. The reason that schools will not look at the merit system for football is because it is human nature to fear the unknown.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe before the 06 (might have been 05) season the TSSAA voted to have the cross-bracketing starting in the 2nd round and it was voted down because of the travel that some schools would face.

I think first round is a bit early, but I wish they would start it in the second round. I hate having to play a team twice in a season, and I think this would do away with a lot of it.

If you look at the way it is drawn up (see first post) the first round games are against the same people as usual they are just spaced apart (same region) throughout the bracket. (I stole this from the OSSAA.COM website for Oklahoma) They only have 16 teams in the playoffs at the highest level so we could just do an East (1-4) cross bracket and a west (5-8) cross bracket.