Bearden 4 Greeneville 2

Ilovethisgame

This game was much closer than the score indicates.

Score was 0-0 at the half. Bearden went up 2-0 early in the 2nd. Greeneville tied it at 2-2. Bearden GIVEN 3 PK's - made good on 1. PK given immdiately after Greeneville tied the score giving momentum back to Bearden. Still not sure why the PK was assesed. Score was 3-2 late into the game. Greeneville forward hauled down in the box with 5 minutes left - no call. Bearden's last goal came with about 1 minute left in the game after Greenveille pulls everyone forward in an effort to equalize.

Greeneville was not called for one PK all season - but got 3 last night - interesting.

Edited by Ilovethisgame

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a follower of Bearden or Greeneville but saw both play this year. My take is that Bearden is a 2-3 goal better team than Greeneville. Greeneville probably fortunate that Bearden's previous 2 games went 107 and 110 minutes--I would guess that Bearden was a bit dead-legged. Great season for GHS/unfortunate that controversial call seemed to factor into the game's outcome.

I'm not a follower of Bearden or Greeneville but saw both play this year. My take is that Bearden is a 2-3 goal better team than Greeneville. Greeneville probably fortunate that Bearden's previous 2 games went 107 and 110 minutes--I would guess that Bearden was a bit dead-legged. Great season for GHS/unfortunate that controversial call seemed to factor into the game's outcome.

Well, certainly Bearden won by 2 goals but I respectfully disagree with your take that Bearden is 2 or 3 goals better. You probably saw G'ville play at Katy Hunter when we struggled against Maryville. All I can say is that G'ville was playing better soccer at the end - when it mattered most.

3 PKs in a sectional !!!! Very sad. Some may say I am crying. Well, yes I am. I've never seen a referee more involved in the outcome of a match. The referee was consistently 30 yards behind the action. The linesman - who was much closer to the supposed hand ball - did not make a call. In fact, the referee was consistently "oblivious" to the calls of the linesmen - when the linesmen did make calls. LET THE GIRLS PLAY!!!!!

I'm not saying that G'ville would have won had the referee not directed the course of the match but they would have at least had a shot.

As they say - there is always next year. G'ville only loses 3 seniors although each was a major contributor. G'ville won the school's (and District 2's) first ever region championship. I fully expect G'ville to repeat next year and I fully expect them to take the next step.

From what I saw last night, these 2 teams were very evenly matched. Bearden was not "dead-legged". They were very good, aggressive and fast - but so is Greeneville. I sat next to the Bearden fan side of the field and they were worried. The game could have gone either way except for 3 PK's to none dispite the intensity of play being the same on both sides of the field.

It is too bad, after all the time and effort the girls on all the teams have put into their seasons that a game of this importance would be decided by one ref. Like TennTarpon stated- LET THE GIRLS PLAY but if you are going to call it tight - call it tight at both ends of the field. 3 PK's to none in a sub-state game would be ludicrous if not for it being so sad.

Congratulations to Bearden on the win. Good luck to you as you go forward.

Edited by Ilovethisgame

I wasn't there, but I am a fan of Greeneville and Bearden both. The only thing I can say, is that unless it is a blatent handball in the box, I really think it shouldn't be called in such a highstakes game. This happened to CAK girls about 6 years ago in sectionals, and the girl who got the handball called on her is still upset about it (the rule is about intent... ball to hand or hand to ball) Handball calls are about as blatently miscalled as obstruction or offsides.

But, I wasn't there, so I can't judge the ref's call. My heart goes out to Coach Eiskamp and the Lady Devils. Good luck to Coach Turner and the Lady Bulldogs.

Congrats to Greeneville's Lady Devils. You had a school history making season and should be proud of your accomplishment this year.

Greeneville loses only three (albeit very important) Seniors from this year's squad so I suspect they will be pretty good next year.

For a AA sized school (about 800 students) that plays up to AAA from a town of 15,000 - You played right up there with the "Big Dogs" and did us proud.

OK the first two penalty kicks were not bad reffing. Number 18 was slide tackled and pushed down completely in the box. Bearden indeed missed 2 great oppurtunites to up the score. The ref called bad calls the WHOLE game on both sides. bearden got 2 or 3 yellow cards for nothing. And yes bearden came off 2 overtime/sudden death matches and i can assure you they were Not in their strongest state. greenville could succesfully do an offsides trap. woot. the handball i think everyone can say was a bad call. but regardless bearden still stepped it up and made that last shot which officially ended the game. for the size and reputation greenvilles soccer program has had in the past, i would say they have gotten much better. however, bearden was the better team.

Edited by futbol_bum06

futbol_ bum 06,

No one has said anything derrogatory towards Bearden. They are a great team and deserved the win. The only complaint was about the center ref. Too bad you found it necessary to disparage the Greeneville squad.

The bad call giving Bearden the PK and that caused G'ville to bring several defenders up front in an attempt to even the score. That left the defense weak and contributed to the last goal so that call did turn the entire game around. You are right, your girls received yellow cards for questionable reasons. Again, poor officiating.

Also I think it was the student section you are referring to. Hopefully it wasn't adults you heard.

Good luck at States. Even though we are not there, I'm still pulling for East TN.

Edited by Ilovethisgame