TSSAA officials

canefan72

canefan72 I have officiated high school football for the past 35 years, starting in GA and then moving to TN, I have called four state championship games, two in each state, and this definition of a fan is shared by most of my peers. You can spot a hold or a clip on the two yard line while sitting at the other end of the field, but you cannot find your car in the parking lot after the game. We have to pay to join the TSSAA and the local association, then, buy the uniform and equipment and pass a rules test. We work scrimmages for free and we attend meetings weekly and discuss our games. We are watched by state supervisors at each game and given a report as to how we did. We are the ones under a microscope, not the players. We don't fumble. drop a pass, hold, clip, block below the waist, etc, but we catch the when we call the penalties. We don't care who wins, we just watch the action and react accordingly. Having said all that, some officials are like cops. Some have a flag and a whistle and some cops have a badge and a gun, and they think the fans are there to see them work. That is true in society too. The best job we can do is to make half the fans happy, but we don't care how many of you are happy, we are there to do a job, and with little pay. But the ones of us who have a passion for the job don't care how much we get paid, we love the game. So, if you are ready to quit complaining, I suggest you join the state and local association, buy the equipment, pass the test, and get on the field. Otherwise keep your comments to yourself, you don't have the first clue. Most of you don't know the difference between a yard line and a clothes line.

Apparently everyone who watches football games:

have a negative IQ,

have never seen it played before,

DEFINATELY doesn't know what the rules are.

and the referees apparently

are a part of a secret cult which invented the game and memorized it's secrets,

should be revered more than the players and coaches,

ARE GOD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

canefan72 I have officiated high school football for the past 35 years, starting in GA and then moving to TN, I have called four state championship games, two in each state, and this definition of a fan is shared by most of my peers. You can spot a hold or a clip on the two yard line while sitting at the other end of the field, but you cannot find your car in the parking lot after the game. We have to pay to join the TSSAA and the local association, then, buy the uniform and equipment and pass a rules test. We work scrimmages for free and we attend meetings weekly and discuss our games. We are watched by state supervisors at each game and given a report as to how we did. We are the ones under a microscope, not the players. We don't fumble. drop a pass, hold, clip, block below the waist, etc, but we catch the when we call the penalties. We don't care who wins, we just watch the action and react accordingly. Having said all that, some officials are like cops. Some have a flag and a whistle and some cops have a badge and a gun, and they think the fans are there to see them work. That is true in society too. The best job we can do is to make half the fans happy, but we don't care how many of you are happy, we are there to do a job, and with little pay. But the ones of us who have a passion for the job don't care how much we get paid, we love the game. So, if you are ready to quit complaining, I suggest you join the state and local association, buy the equipment, pass the test, and get on the field. Otherwise keep your comments to yourself, you don't have the first clue. Most of you don't know the difference between a yard line and a clothes line.

Well a lot of referees do not have a clue, most of them are great and some are good and some are bad, just like players, coaches and fans. Officials are human, and they make mistakes as do all of us at what we do. Every one else is subject to criticism and so should officials. Professionals should limit their mistakes. If you do your job good then I am not referring to you, if you do not then I am, the schools that you officiate are the ones paying you, so you are accountable to them. As you have seen some bad calls, so have I. Coaches get fired for bad calls, players get benched for bad plays and officials should be able to take a little verbal frustration.

The post you just made sums up the view people have of most officials. You know everything and the fans don't. I do have the football IQ to know a poor call when I see one as well as a smart a** official when I see one. When you get booed at a game, stop and think. if 1,500 people or so think you are wrong, there is a chance you might be. I know about 8 TSSAA officials. 2 are really good guys and try to do a good job and the other 6 are total idiots(not just football but total idiots as well). If you complain about having to buy the uni, etc. then just quit, no one is making you do it but if you decide to do it, do the best job you can do and stop crying if people boo your less than best effort.

WOW!!

The post you just made sums up the view people have of most officials. You know everything and the fans don't. I do have the football IQ to know a poor call when I see one as well as a smart a** official when I see one. When you get booed at a game, stop and think. if 1,500 people or so think you are wrong, there is a chance you might be. I know about 8 TSSAA officials. 2 are really good guys and try to do a good job and the other 6 are total idiots(not just football but total idiots as well). If you complain about having to buy the uni, etc. then just quit, no one is making you do it but if you decide to do it, do the best job you can do and stop crying if people boo your less than best effort.

!500 people may think the official is wrong, but 1500 on the other side think he is right. It depends on your POV.

Pass a rules test, you've got to be kidding me. ISN'T IT OPEN BOOK?

The answer to that question is yes, the first test you must pass is open book. This gets you in door. Then you must make the state meeting(which in in July) and then attend no less than six locals. After that you will work the jamborees and several scrimages for the love of the game. Then you get to work many middle school games, move up to the ECO. After about three maybe two years you go on the field on Friday nites. You will have a state supervisor there to watch the game, he will usually critic you at half and after game. Now, if you have the yearning to work play off games, you must take and pass with no less than 80, a closed book test. Those games are great, because you usually have more than supervisor there. So you see there is a little more to it than just buying a shirt and pants. Now there are some bone headed calls or non calls, but far and away ther are more good calls than bad

Overall...I believe the crews do a decent job.

ALTHOUGH.....I will say this:

1. Call Holding for Pete's Sake, especially in the box! Or legalize holding!

2. Call the Illegal Cut Blocks before we see these young guys end up having knee's repaired! No place for cut blocks in high school football!

3. Focus more on the field rather than the sidelines. Teams no longer need "Get-Back" coaches any more....teams seem to be paying for them in the form of officials.

As somoone who is close to the action I can tell you the vast and I mean the vast majority of officials I have seen in hs football are absolutely professional and outstanding.

however

there are a few that clearly and I mean clearly do not need to be out there period

as one official said earlier there are a few that think folks paid to see them.

The bad thing is most of this vast minority appear think they know it all and are the game.

Once again the officials I have seen do a great job and it is the rare one that seems to want to call everything the whole game but boy if you get this guy he can cause you a world of trouble.

As many have said, There are good officials and poor officials. A TSSAA supervisor once told me, about 1/3 of officials are great ones, about 1/3 are average and about 1/3 are just warm bodies, but all of them are needed. Kind of like coaches and players. The players, coaches and officials are out there because they love the game and for the most part are doing the best that they can. All I would say, if someone thinks they can do better either as an official, player or coach, please try it. I am sure that you would be welcome in the area of the state that you live in. Enough said.

I just graduated from high school last year, and this year I've been traveling around and going to different venues to watch different teams play. I have found that there aren't nearly as many bad officials when you are an unbiased fan. I have only seen one call that I disagreed with. I've seen a handful that I thought were questionable, but just one that I that was wrong.

I've seen 432 minutes of football this season (plus one overtime) and I've only seen one bad call? Sounds like these guys are better than we give them credit for. My hat goes off to these guys that work for crap pay and listen to people complain after every questionable call.

Edited by seth k

I started not to read this thread but now I am glad that I did. I for one appreciate all that the officials do. They even officiate youth athletic games on Saturdays here in Memphis, thoughout the city and surrounding areas in the county. I am very glad to read about all of the scrutiny and the different levels of officiating that is required for them to achieve certain levels. I like many others have seen calls that I might have not agreed with, but in all my years of spectating after my years of playing high school football, I have never been a rules guru. If I were to become a high school or middle school coach, then I would have to due my due dilligence in that regard. I'm not and I haven't.

My appreciation has risen immensely since I've read this thread. Thanks for sharing.

I do respect officials, don't get me wrong. I think the ones whom don't know what they are truly calling don't need to wing it and throw a flag. I coached middle school and we had TSSAA refs and some of the calls they made did not even match the rule book. They could not clearly explain a call nor the rule. We had a false start and then threw a int. They let the D choose if they wanted the ball or a 2nd and 15? They called a chop block on my FB pass blocking for hitting a LB in the thighs. When I asked how they could call that they said "the ball had left the zone". I don't know what he was talking about but I saw the same guy in the AAA state champ. game last year.

seth k, Would you consider joining a local association and start working to being on the field on Friday night? If so, please contact someone in your area and find a local association to join. You could also get in touch with the TSSAA and they can help you find a local group. Just a thought. They are always needing new young people that would like to be involved.