TSSAA officials

canefan72

Go read the rule on a chop block and tell me if it was a chop or not. that was the call and that is why I got upset.

I have no idea about the play to which you refer, I don't even know what game it was. But, a chop block is defined when a double team block is made and the first blocker hits the defensive man high and the second blocker hits below the waist. All other low blocks are considered blocking below the waist.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

Not all states use NFHS rules exactly as written in the bool, Texas' HS uses a mix of NCAA and Federation rules in their own rule book (closer to NCAA than NFHS), Hopefully, I'll see you next week (tell you son to get about 15 this Friday)

You are right about Texas, and the NFHS also uses Texas and some other states to experiment with a new rule before it is added to the book for the rest of the states to use. I certainly hope you are there Friday, we have missed seeing you Chop Man.

One of the funnier (and actually stupid) situations I encountered this season:

Game is out of hand, 35-0 in the fourth quarter...and Team A has a 3rd and 2 and fumbles the ball. The white hat comes in and signals 4th down while meanwhile Team B runs off the field thinking they've recovered the fumble.

The crew spots the ball for fourth down and Team A goes to the line quickly seeing not one defensive player on the field. And the white hat puts his arm up in the air, and waits.....and waits....and waited.....and waits....and waited and did not blow the whistle for ready to play until Team B could call time out.

The issue upset the home crowd (It was at Team A's place and Team A trailed 35-0 with 4:00 to play in the game) and the coaches. The coaches got upset when the white hat said it was his perrogative to blow it ready for play, and it is - but 30 seconds?? (This of course, when in close games they race to mark it and blow it ready for play).

Anyways, the fans get upset and one fan becomes irate and says verbal stuff to the official from the stands. The side judge tells a Team A assistant coach that if the administration doesnt remove the fan, Team A will be assessed a penalty. The asst coach went bezerk and the head coach stepped in to see what the deal was and to calm the asst coach down. He did both of those and turned to signal in the next play and turned back around to see the ref throw a flag.

The head coach figured a player or coach said something and wanted to know who said what to discipline them accordingly and the side judge said, "Coach, no one said anything."

And the coach said, "Well, why did you give us a sideline warning and throw the flag?"

And the side judge said, "Your coaches and players were giving me intimidating looks over here." To which the coach told the official he was probably in the wrong profession and that if he wanted real intimidating looks he should try coaching.

The side judge said that was enough and he was trying to maintain a safe sideline (with 2:45 to play in a 35-pt game).....

Let's hope the side judge's day job isnt anything to harsh..

Two weeks ago one team fumbled, the other recovered, before the whistle blew. The refs said an "inadvertant whistle" took away anything that happened after that (even though it was after the whistle), but they admitted their mistake when they replayed the play, brought the ball back to its starting point from the play prior. The call made no difference in the outcome, I'll add.

I saw this situation occur twice in two weeks the past two Fridays....

Anatole France once said, if 500,000 people say a dumb thing, it is still a dumb thing. I am not thin skinned, if I were I would not have lasted 35 years, but I read so much on these posts about how an official costs some team a win. I take a lot of pride in working a game. The vast majority of officials do what they do because they love the game and want to give something back to the game. As far as us working for a particular school, does anyone really think we make calls with that in mind? If you do, you are wrong. One place in the rule book states that, no official should make a call thinking that it may impact the contract with the school for which they are working. If one bad call causes a team to lose, they probably did not deseerve the win anyway. Maybe I came across a little harsh, but, remember the old walk a mile in my shoes. As an aside, every high school in the United States plays under the same rules. The press box guys always says, the game tonight will be played under TSSAA rules. Not true, all games are played under National Federation of High School athletics rules. Are there some bad officials, yes. But there are people in every vocation and avocation that do a bad job. I don't like to be painted with a broad brush. And I am not complaing about having to buy anything, I do this because I love it. I would do it for free.

It's good to know there are some officials out there like you. We need more like you

Here is an example of good officiating, 3 seasons ago Henry county is at Clarksville NW and, NW is punting, the snap rolls between the punters legs he then turns grabs the ball as he is trying to punt we hit him block the punt, the person that blocks it is hit in the gut by the ball, holds on to the ball and runs it down to the 3 yard line before he is tackled, hold up it is called back for roughing the punter. first down NW

Edited by the prophet

Here is an example of good officiating, 3 seasons ago Henry county is at Clarksville NW and, NW is punting, the snap rolls between the punters legs he then turns grabs the ball as he is trying to punt we hit him block the punt, the person that blocks it is hit in the gut by the ball, holds on to the ball and runs it down to the 3 yard line before he is tackled, hold up it is called back for roughing the punter. first down NW

Think about how you have worded this statement? With the wording, it is roughing the kicker. Ok he is trying to punt, you hit him prior to getting to the ball. Now you get the ball first, then hit the punter all bets off.

You are right about Texas, and the NFHS also uses Texas and some other states to experiment with a new rule before it is added to the book for the rest of the states to use. I certainly hope you are there Friday, we have missed seeing you Chop Man.

Just a few more days left in Arkansas, but I won't be back until Sunday. I'll miss the Science Hill game (I was looking forward to this one, it's fun to play new teams).

I think most officals are calling games because they love the game. It is not to hard to figure out who the ones that have posted here are. But its not hard to figure out just by their comments and calls who the ones are that bring down the whole group. To suggets that you have to have gone to a special school and taken the written tests to figure out if a crew is calling a bad game is crazy. Granted some rules are rather complicated by the interpation of the written word. But anyone that has ever played the game or watched enough to understand the game understands 90% of the calls made any Friday night and the rules behind the infraction. So the guys that are there for the right reasons thank you for doing a thankless job and to the rest that think they are supreme beings please find something else to do. I hear Wal-mart is hiring Security Guards