Oak Ridge sees return of Ron Gray?

Ole Dad

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I might stay off this "thread 'o speculation," but I just couldn't resist.

First, I have also heard about coaches that were planning on bailing out. I think out of frustration, it's easy to say things like that but when the smoke clears, and cooler thoughts come around, some of these coaches may realize where they are and how fortunate they are. I could be wrong, but if there are four or five coaches that quit, I would be very shocked.

As for the coach Gray thing, my feelings are this: If he were offered a coordinator's job, I think he would take it. I honestly feel he would relish an opportunity to be part of Oak Ridge football again. Most of the venom spewed about the entire coaching thing came from (much like this thread) outside perspective.

The 5-5 season has done a couple of things. It has given those who never wanted to give coach Stevens a chance, an opportunity to kick him while he's down. It's given those who were riding the fence about the hire, a chance to join those that are kicking. I have confidence in coach Steven's football knowledge. I do think, however, some difficult decisions lie ahead, including the staff, philosophy and other things.

But heck, what do I know.

Tank,

I disagree. How are OR fans "outside perspective"? Many of the people that follow OR football have been doing so before you were born, and they, like me have great support and opinions of OR football. Everyone will never agree on a head coach or philosophy and they don't have to for OR to be successful. Are you saying that Stevens did a great job and we are all wrong, or are you just taking the opposite position for a good debate? In my opinion we were the most disorganized and poorly coached team in 5A this year. All we heard was how this team had more talent than last year and it would take time for them to gel (6-7 weeks I believe was the statement). Now it's being said it will take 3-4 years to instill the new philosophy. Are we going to be 2-8 by then? I don't care who the coach is as long as they are qualified and committed. You have to work year round to be successful not just 4 months. By the way, what is the new philosophy? Losing?

Ole Dad

quote name='TankTalk' date='Oct 31 2006 - 02:07 PM' post='826221841']

Thought I might stay off this "thread 'o speculation," but I just couldn't resist.

First, I have also heard about coaches that were planning on bailing out. I think out of frustration, it's easy to say things like that but when the smoke clears, and cooler thoughts come around, some of these coaches may realize where they are and how fortunate they are. I could be wrong, but if there are four or five coaches that quit, I would be very shocked.

As for the coach Gray thing, my feelings are this: If he were offered a coordinator's job, I think he would take it. I honestly feel he would relish an opportunity to be part of Oak Ridge football again. Most of the venom spewed about the entire coaching thing came from (much like this thread) outside perspective.

The 5-5 season has done a couple of things. It has given those who never wanted to give coach Stevens a chance, an opportunity to kick him while he's down. It's given those who were riding the fence about the hire, a chance to join those that are kicking. I have confidence in coach Steven's football knowledge. I do think, however, some difficult decisions lie ahead, including the staff, philosophy and other things.

Bah Old Dad, I have learned that you feel anyone who wasn't an Oak Ridge fan in the 40s has no clue about anything, so I can't even argue with you.

I never said I thought a great job was done, stop reading what you want to read. As for Outside Perspective, if someone calls you and says "Stevens has applied for CAK," then you get all giddy inside and start telling everyone you know ... is that considered a viable source?

Anyway, here's hoping things get turned around at Oak Ridge, I have having the playoffs off during football season.

Tank,

I disagree. How are OR fans "outside perspective"? Many of the people that follow OR football have been doing so before you were born, and they, like me have great support and opinions of OR football. Everyone will never agree on a head coach or philosophy and they don't have to for OR to be successful. Are you saying that Stevens did a great job and we are all wrong, or are you just taking the opposite position for a good debate? In my opinion we were the most disorganized and poorly coached team in 5A this year. All we heard was how this team had more talent than last year and it would take time for them to gel (6-7 weeks I believe was the statement). Now it's being said it will take 3-4 years to instill the new philosophy. Are we going to be 2-8 by then? I don't care who the coach is as long as they are qualified and committed. You have to work year round to be successful not just 4 months. By the way, what is the new philosophy? Losing?

Ole Dad

quote name='TankTalk' date='Oct 31 2006 - 02:07 PM' post='826221841']

Tank,

It depends on who called me I guess. (you know,like consider the source) I hope things get turned around also. The difference is that I don't have to patronize Stevens in order to keep getting interviews and you do. So I can tell it like it is and you need to sugar coat it to be politically correct. (you can't say Stevens stinks up the joint and hope for a continued relationship if he happens to be here next year) But like me you admit that you have heard that 4-5 coaches are resigning and have publically stated so which is all you and I both know at the present time. I agree that some of those comments are emotional and will likely change, but I do know that most of the OR coaches are fed up with Stevens just like a lot of the fans. And, I like you hope things get fixed right away, whatever that takes as I said earlier.

Ole Dad

Bah Old Dad, I have learned that you feel anyone who wasn't an Oak Ridge fan in the 40s has no clue about anything, so I can't even argue with you.

I never said I thought a great job was done, stop reading what you want to read. As for Outside Perspective, if someone calls you and says "Stevens has applied for CAK," then you get all giddy inside and start telling everyone you know ... is that considered a viable source?

Anyway, here's hoping things get turned around at Oak Ridge, I have having the playoffs off during football season.

Edited by Ole Dad

From what I remember from last season, Gray spent the year at Bearden and trashed Oak Ridge and the program to several people I am friends with. He constantly trashed Lussier and Gaddis before that. He is not to be trusted by anyone, I would hope coach Stevens would not let him back. He cares about one thing Ron Gray. I know I know, give him another chance. Well I am of the school that what someone says in the heat of the moment and in his case after he was passed over is usually the truth. I would hate to see him inflict his bad vibes on the program. Although there needs to be some changes. He is not the answer.

From what I can recall, Oak Ridge was in the state championship last year and Coach Stevens was the coach. I think everyone needs to realize that a coach can have a bad season. Oak Ridge is too good of a football program not to be able to bounce back from a mediocre season. Has anyone ever taken the time to realize that a coach can only do so much. the players on the field control the game for the most part and from what I can recall, Oak Ridge lost a lot of talent from their 2005 team.

This is not about one losing season. The program is in shambles. No leadership, committment, or qualifications. The asssitant coaches down to the players have seen it. This is the coach that said for the 1st 6 weeks he had better talent than last year. Now it was a talent problem. I agree. At the head coaches position.

Ole Dad

From what I can recall, Oak Ridge was in the state championship last year and Coach Stevens was the coach. I think everyone needs to realize that a coach can have a bad season. Oak Ridge is too good of a football program not to be able to bounce back from a mediocre season. Has anyone ever taken the time to realize that a coach can only do so much. the players on the field control the game for the most part and from what I can recall, Oak Ridge lost a lot of talent from their 2005 team.

I am not promoting that, just telling a rumor I heard. I am for bringing Emory, Chick and Brewster back.........LOL

Ole Dad

From what I remember from last season, Gray spent the year at Bearden and trashed Oak Ridge and the program to several people I am friends with. He constantly trashed Lussier and Gaddis before that. He is not to be trusted by anyone, I would hope coach Stevens would not let him back. He cares about one thing Ron Gray. I know I know, give him another chance. Well I am of the school that what someone says in the heat of the moment and in his case after he was passed over is usually the truth. I would hate to see him inflict his bad vibes on the program. Although there needs to be some changes. He is not the answer.

I am not promoting that, just telling a rumor I heard. I am for bringing Emory, Chick and Brewster back.........LOL

Ole Dad

One can only dream of having a trio like Emory, Chick, and Brewster back at the helm in Oak Ridge. Can you think of any high school that had 3 top coaches like those three at one time. Maryville comes to my mind, but, I don't think we'll ever see that much talent roaming our sidelines again in the coaching capacity. Not because it's not out there, but what it would take to get it (school board etc...).

Cat,

You are correct. The school board is the ones that need to go first. What a bunch of sports hating, do nothings.

Ole Dad

Ole Dad

One can only dream of having a trio like Emory, Chick, and Brewster back at the helm in Oak Ridge. Can you think of any high school that had 3 top coaches like those three at one time. Maryville comes to my mind, but, I don't think we'll ever see that much talent roaming our sidelines again in the coaching capacity. Not because it's not out there, but what it would take to get it (school board etc...).

BHS, from what the people in Bearden say they stuck their necks out on the line for the guy and he got the kids to sign petitions and stuff and then left them hanging when the job was offered to him.

Seeing as I was a senior on the team and was directly involved in the conflict, I will say these are false accusations. Obviously, Coach Wilson has done a tremendous job, and we're glad to have him. Gray would have been a great choice too. Both are real player's coaches.