Oak Ridge sees return of Ron Gray?

Ole Dad

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my 2 cents. Then y'all can wear me out. Coach Stevens is here, he's going to be here next year. While most of us are very disappointed in the season, this is our program, this is our coach, and this is our players. The team underachieved and looked awful at times. We lost a few we should have won.

I am as guilty as anyone about coming on here and complaining about stuff thats gone wrong, but it's because of the passion that many of us share toward Oak Ridge football. But this is the hand we have been dealt to play. Changes need to be made in several areas, but fans don't have any control over that. And it doesn't do any good to split into separate factions try to get people run off. Now we have to stick together, support the boys and get through these tough times.

The way I see it, we have all been very fortunate to sit up in the stands and win and enjoy an awful lot of football games over the years. I can't just quit going to the games and call for the coaches job the first time we struggle. Bottom line: we have to coach harder, work harder, play harder. We will be back. Now, you can let me have it.

I do not think that coach Stevens was the best hire. I know the committee did not choose him. Ken Green and Mr. Bailey are the ones responsible for this mess we are in. Even if Stevens turns out to be a good coach there are some people that will never except him at Oak Ridge simply because of the circumstances he was hired under. I have stated before that he was not my first, second, or third choice either. I don't even know why they bothered to interview anybody. However he is our coach.

CAK Stevens played for Young and was there in support for his retirement. I hear Graham is more interested in that job than Stevens. Second 1 state Championship, several undefeated regular seasons, several kids playing or played college football, over 97% graduation rate at Austin East. In a region that the top 4 can compete with any 5A region. I think he is a proven coach. He lost over 22 seniors last year. Let's get realistic.

OakRidgeKat, Good Post!! I agree.

Coach Stevens is the coach, and to try to make a change this soon, IMO would lead to more problems. Coach Stevens had nothing to do with the hiring process, we all know how that was mishandled.

Although to outsiders looking at this situation it would appear that the problems are only about winning and losing. I don't agree with that totally. Here are a few things I think are causing some problems. If I am way off base on anything, please respond.

1. Last year after the Riverdale game, it appeared that the focus of the team was lacking a little bit. From what others have told me about the practices, leading up to the championship game, it was if we had already won the title, and Ravenwood was just a formality. After watching the title game, I felt like we were not prepared, and the play callng was suspect. Both of which goes back to coaching. You have the all-time leading rusher at Oak Ridge, IMO, you run him until his legs fall off.

2. The regular season practices, they seem to be unorganized, and lack in the time-managment aspects. If you have been around Oak Ridge football in the past, you would know, that our practices, closely resembled a small college routine. I have not seen that type of practice in the last two years. This also includes teaching the basics, line play, special teams etc...

3. It is apparent that the off-season work outs were lax at best, I've had kids tell me that they would sign up, then go to the swimming pool. This has to change.

4. Divison on the team, I am not sure what caused this, but I have heard everything from race, to playing time, to the handling of discipline concerning certain players. This has to be addressed by the coaches, and discipline must be dealt with accross the board.

For those who have only been around Oak Ridge football for a short time, a lot of the "outside perpectives" comes from those of us who went to Oak Ridge, have coached alot of the kids who now play, thru the boys club, and have past experiences with the football program to draw from. We've seen what it takes to be succesful, and in the last two years, there has been some glowing problems.

I, for one, hope that Stanton can right the ship, and be successful.

BOO,

Yeah,

You're right. Stevens did a great job coaching with the poor players we had and all the injuries. How could we have expected more. I wish everyone would stop bashing Stevens. He did a fabulous job and we should be thankful for our 5-5 season. OR fans just can't be satisfied. Heck, half the schools in the state would be grateful to be 5-5 and OR fans just complain. We have no feeder system, terrible players, poor facilities, no fan support and no budget and these people expect 10 win seasons. What were they thinking.

Ole Dad

I do not think that coach Stevens was the best hire. I know the committee did not choose him. Ken Green and Mr. Bailey are the ones responsible for this mess we are in. Even if Stevens turns out to be a good coach there are some people that will never except him at Oak Ridge simply because of the circumstances he was hired under. I have stated before that he was not my first, second, or third choice either. I don't even know why they bothered to interview anybody. However he is our coach.

CAK Stevens played for Young and was there in support for his retirement. I hear Graham is more interested in that job than Stevens. Second 1 state Championship, several undefeated regular seasons, several kids playing or played college football, over 97% graduation rate at Austin East. In a region that the top 4 can compete with any 5A region. I think he is a proven coach. He lost over 22 seniors last year. Let's get realistic.

Krazy,

So you're happy with the season? You must be another one of those liberals that think everyone should get a trophy. No winners, no losers. Keep up the good work I know you are a big contributor to the past, present and future success of the program in time, money and efforts. I wish we had more like you.

Ole Dad

Ole Dad, your in the ole pasture, so if your unhappy with this pasture, make like a cow and MOOOOOOOOVE! :lol:

Kazzy

I don't think that MOST of the fans here at Oak Ridge would or does hold a grudge aganist Stevens because of the circumstances surrounding his hire. I dont know that but I hope its not the case.

On principal alone it was the right decision not to hire the recommendation of the "secret committee" Was Stevens the right choice?? Time will tell that. A head coach at Oak Ridge doesn't have any place to hide.

I don't think you throw a guy under the bus a year after a trip to the championship game. A 14 - 7 loss in a 5A championship game in my opinion just doesn't lend its self to a poorly prepared and poorly coached team.

As for this year my opinion is: with exception of a hand full of talented seniors Stevens was basically fielding a JV team on Friday nights in experience and maturity. Some thought I was not even an Oak Ridge fan because I said way back in the week leading up to the DB game That OR might finish 5-5. Oak Ridge has fielded a 4 year starter at running back for 6 years. Oak Ridge fans have taken it for granted that when Booker left Gulmire picked up right where he left off. Both were way above average, just look at the record books, each contributed a ton of TDs.

This year the whole backfield with exception of Connor was new and had never started a game until this year. Kevin Summers started some last year but has been injured most of this year. Thats it The defense played tough, a championship D no, but the offense never looked very good. There just wasn't any execution.

To suggest anyone that cares about Oak Ridge Football is happy about a 5-5 season is just juvenile. So is not ever liking Stevens because of the circumstances surrounding his hire. Like the guy said before Stevens had nothing to do with the way that went down.

I don't pretend to speak for anyone but myself but if the man is given a fair shake and doesn't get the job done that's one thing. Throwing him under the bus after one very sub-standard season considering all the circumstances is another. I personally don't think he will have to be run off if he isn't able to get the job done. I think he will step aside. I may be wrong but I don't think so. I think he will have to turn things around in a big way next year. The experience and raw talent is gonna be there next year. Stevens ability to mature, motivate and execute will be on display and there is no reason for another season like this in the near future. I for one hope he does well.

C-yall next year

Over and Out

Ole Dad, your in the ole pasture, so if your unhappy with this pasture, make like a cow and MOOOOOOOOVE! :(

Kazzy

Kazzy & Boo,

You guys can't be from OR with that kind of a loosing attitude, Stevens was a bad hire. My sources (players) say that they were blamed for loosing the State Championship, that may be ok at Austin East, but this is not what we are looking for here at OR.

So look up the Austin East thread & post there.

:thumb:

Amen,

Ole Dad

Kazzy & Boo,

You guys can't be from OR with that kind of a loosing attitude, Stevens was a bad hire. My sources (players) say that they were blamed for loosing the State Championship, that may be ok at Austin East, but this is not what we are looking for here at OR.

So look up the Austin East thread & post there.

:lol: