McCallie vs Christian Brothers

Everyone on this board who has any sense knows McCallie and Baylor wouldn't whoop Ooltewah or Red Bank. They would be great games but any one of those teams could beat the other one on any given night. DII schools are in a different league because they are private schools who can go out of state and around the state to get kids to come to their school. Thats why they are in a different league. Thats why they have the best athletes around the state who later goes on to the bigger colleges.

To play devil's advocate for a moment:

If Ooltewah and Red Bank, and McCallie and Baylor, are roughly even (as implied by the "given any night" scenario), then are McCallie and Baylor truly taking advantage of their ability to go around and out of state to find students (for wouldn't the talent pool of the rest of the state and southeast/country be larger than that of Chattanooga)?

While I can swallow a perceived advantage McCallie and Baylor may have through their boarding opportunities (and thus a potential global enrollment reach) over their Chattanooga public brethren, one would think that advantage would extend over their DII-AAA rivals as well, since none of the other six schools board students. Yet, McCallie and Baylor, through 2005, have accounted for one of the 18 championship game appearances in DII-AAA and one title. Meanwhile, the middle TN DII-AAA privates (BA, MBA, Ryan) probably have the least advantage of the DII-AAA schools, given the Memphis schools' proximity to Mississippi and Arkansas, and yet Middle has combined for 13 of the 18 appearances and six titles (yes, more schools in Middle, but Ryan is only contributing 1 appearance and 1 title).

All this to say - I think McCallie's and Baylor's ability to "go global" is overblown. An advantage? Probably, but one that doesn't exist solely for athletics. Those schools board students to help further the goals of the school (which, I would surmise, would entail athletics but secondarily to many other aspects, primarily bringing in the best students possible to further them academically for college and beyond). Plus, if Ooltewah and Red Bank are truly even with McCallie and Baylor (and maybe they are), why wouldn't Baylor and McCallie - in an endeavor to create the best football team - go local for "equal" talent instead of expending resources to find similar athletes from all over?

Sorry for the Public/Private tangent.

Edited by rollredroll

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCallie will be playing their 4th game at Finley this year... Why is that?

Everyone on this board who has any sense knows McCallie and Baylor wouldn't whoop Ooltewah or Red Bank. They would be great games but any one of those teams could beat the other one on any given night. DII schools are in a different league because they are private schools who can go out of state and around the state to get kids to come to their school. Thats why they are in a different league. Thats why they have the best athletes around the state who later goes on to the bigger colleges. Public schools has to play with whatever is living in their zone. Ooltewah can't bring kids in from around the state and ssoutheast to play for them. Whatever Hunter and Ooltewah Middle gives them is what they have to go with. DII schools also has a lot more money than us public schools. McCallie can afford to pay for an ex-TN weight coach while public schools are stuck with whatever the principal hires. Go look at facilities. Go into the Ooltewah weight room and look at how old and crappy their equipment is and then go to McCallie or Baylor and look how much money they put into those things. There are a lot of differences why DII team are in a different league and why they produce better players. They can afford better everything for their students. After saying all that, I do hope McCallie, Baylor, Temple and Red Bank win tomorrow night. That will represent Chattanooga well. Good luck to all teams and I'll see you guys Friday Night!

Are you not the same person saying Golden Tate is not playing the best competition by playing in Div II? If you are, read your post again and either be on one side or the other.

Edited by my2cents

Someone commented and said that JPII is in the hardest classification and said Ooltewah would be 6-4 at best with their schedule. JPII is in DII-AA which is a lot different from playing in DII-AAA.

I made my previous post because someone said that DII produces more college players and have better teams. In my opinion I believe that is the case because those schools can go out and get those players. Not all of the good players might go there but I'm sure they were contacted..... There is nothing wrong with private schools. They go out and get players around the area and state because thats the only way they can bring kids to their schools. Thats why they are in a different league and thats also why they usually have the best talant. Just stating my opinion.

Edited by ImaOWL

i completely understand with what you are saying, i don't believe that it is as extreme of an advantage as people might think, but it is still an advantage nonetheless. Rollredroll is correct about the memphis schools being able to attract students from mississippi and arkansas, but having played for cbhs, that none of our players (at least to my knowledge) lived out of state. I know of alot of students that lived out of state but to my recollection, there were none that played ball. However, that possibility is still there.

McCallie will be playing their 4th game at Finley this year... Why is that?

Everyone on this board who has any sense knows McCallie and Baylor wouldn't whoop Ooltewah or Red Bank. They would be great games but any one of those teams could beat the other one on any given night. DII schools are in a different league because they are private schools who can go out of state and around the state to get kids to come to their school. Thats why they are in a different league. Thats why they have the best athletes around the state who later goes on to the bigger colleges. Public schools has to play with whatever is living in their zone. Ooltewah can't bring kids in from around the state and ssoutheast to play for them. Whatever Hunter and Ooltewah Middle gives them is what they have to go with. DII schools also has a lot more money than us public schools. McCallie can afford to pay for an ex-TN weight coach while public schools are stuck with whatever the principal hires. Go look at facilities. Go into the Ooltewah weight room and look at how old and crappy their equipment is and then go to McCallie or Baylor and look how much money they put into those things. There are a lot of differences why DII team are in a different league and why they produce better players. They can afford better everything for their students. After saying all that, I do hope McCallie, Baylor, Temple and Red Bank win tomorrow night. That will represent Chattanooga well. Good luck to all teams and I'll see you guys Friday Night!

Look at McCallie's starters. the vast majority are home grown. If you could have picked BJ and Joel as skinny short 6th graders to be stars as seniors you'd have needed a crystal ball. Now, you may have point with Walter. Although home grown, folks used to ask if he was one of the coaches when he was in the 8th.

Someone commented and said that JPII is in the hardest classification and said Ooltewah would be 6-4 at best with their schedule. JPII is in DII-AA which is a lot different from playing in DII-AAA.

I made my previous post because someone said that DII produces more college players and have better teams. In my opinion I believe that is the case because those schools can go out and get those players. Not all of the good players might go there but I'm sure they were contacted..... There is nothing wrong with private schools. They go out and get players around the area and state because thats the only way they can bring kids to their schools. Thats why they are in a different league and thats also why they usually have the best talant. Just stating my opinion.

we have a ton of players from outa state, true...i'll give you that...but how many of these players, actually get major playing time? in all reality about 5....look at our playmakers...BJ Coleman-Chattanooga, Joel Bradford-Chattanooga, Walter Dozier-Chattanooga....all 5 starting lineman- Chattanoogans....Reggie Poindexter- Chattanooga...2/4 linebackers are from chattanooga....so there you can see the "boarding effect"....our best D-lineman Jeremy Green- Chattanooga....our best Saftey Jay Fullam- Rising Fawn GA....and ya that's kind of a stretch but his father, and 2 older brothers went to McCallie....and the statement you ImaOwl, made about how we wouldn't beat Red Bank, and Ooltewah is a load...we beat Red Bank 13-0 in a 20 min RUNNING CLOCK scrimage...and true that is a pre-season thing...but that's the closest we can get on the field so that's all we have to go by...Ooltewah...wow ya'll are good and i wish ya'll the best of luck...but its safe to say that McCallie is fielding the best team in chattanooga...not solely because of our "vast" resources....but because of the players from Chattanooga....

Names? Places? Dates?

Haha... I'm not going to get into this with you guys. You know how private schools work. Kids dont just show up at McCallie and Baylors doormat saying let me in.

I'm not saying every kid on McCallie's team is from out of state. What I'm saying is McCallie and Baylor can go wherever they want to get kids to play for them. There are kids at McCallie and Baylor that are from all over Chattanooga. Someone said that DII produces the best players and that is because they go out and get the best players. Look at BA. They have a new QB and RB this year. Both from out of state and both were college prospects as juniors. I hope you see where I'm going with this....

we have a ton of players from outa state, true...i'll give you that...but how many of these players, actually get major playing time? in all reality about 5....look at our playmakers...BJ Coleman-Chattanooga, Joel Bradford-Chattanooga, Walter Dozier-Chattanooga....all 5 starting lineman- Chattanoogans....Reggie Poindexter- Chattanooga...2/4 linebackers are from chattanooga....so there you can see the "boarding effect"....our best D-lineman Jeremy Green- Chattanooga....our best Saftey Jay Fullam- Rising Fawn GA....and ya that's kind of a stretch but his father, and 2 older brothers went to McCallie....and the statement you ImaOwl, made about how we wouldn't beat Red Bank, and Ooltewah is a load...we beat Red Bank 13-0 in a 20 min RUNNING CLOCK scrimage...and true that is a pre-season thing...but that's the closest we can get on the field so that's all we have to go by...Ooltewah...wow ya'll are good and i wish ya'll the best of luck...but its safe to say that McCallie is fielding the best team in chattanooga...not solely because of our "vast" resources....but because of the players from Chattanooga....

Stop talking about it. This argument has been around for years and it does nobody any good to go around and around about this. It just furthers the distance between a handfull of good football schools and creates ill-will between them. Ooltewah and McCallie have a great chance to win it all and these kids are pouring their heart into a sport that we are on a message board talking about. Let's wish them luck and hopefully the Owls and the Big Blue can win it all.

NO , Last year was MUS & Christian Brothers, does make for a small crowd though.

there should be some sort of "escape clause" for situations like last year or the possible all-Chattanooga scenario this year. D2 teams have to travel enough as it is. Reason #3021 why we need to form our own league independent of the TSSAA.

Why is Murfreesboro the site for our title game anyways? There are no private schools there...and it's too far for a legitimate "walk-up" crowd to come from Nashville. Why not rotate it among cities that our schools actually come from--i.e., Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga?

there should be some sort of "escape clause" for situations like last year or the possible all-Chattanooga scenario this year. D2 teams have to travel enough as it is. Reason #3021 why we need to form our own league independent of the TSSAA.

Why is Murfreesboro the site for our title game anyways? There are no private schools there...and it's too far for a legitimate "walk-up" crowd to come from Nashville. Why not rotate it among cities that our schools actually come from--i.e., Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga?

Ronnie Carter can't take the fact that other people do in fact have some good ideas when it comes to this and other arguments. Plus, my opinion is that he is such an ego maniac he can't see the forrest due to the trees. Also, coopreate sponsors and the biggie, $$$$. Good point big red big blue!

GO TSSAA!! :thumb:

Edited by shannon