Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill's 2007 Football Schedule

srupley

Alot of talk going on about Dobyns Bennett needing to beef up their schedule. I totally agree, but Science Hill also needs to be included in this topic. This past season Dobyns Bennett played 4A's Elizabethton, Sullivan South, Tennessee High and 5A Oak Ridge and Science Hill played 4A's Elizabethton, Sullivan Central, Tennessee High and Cherokee. These out of conference opponents are crap games if you want to compete for the 5A state title. Money is not what it is all about, nor is rivalry really worth it come playoff time. Does anybody have any information about the out of conference games for these teams 2007 season?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate it. I can understand why DB would want to schedule William Blount and Oak Ridge. William Blount has given us a game in the playoffs the past few years and are a possible playoff opponent. The rivalry with Oak Ridge goes alot deeper than the South rivarly since the Atomic City and Model City worked together to construct the atomic bomb not to mention that they are possible playoff opponent. Tennessee High I can also understand for the immediate future since they are a team from the Tri-Cities and I think this city to city rivalry is a good idea for bragging rights not to mention year in and year out Tennessee High is a good team. HOWEVER, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO SCHEDULE ELIZABETHTON AT THIS POINT. I don't wish to take away from the program in Elizabethton but a game with the cyclones will not better the Indians down the stretch. Schedule another 5A team from say Region 2, 3, or 4 but not a weak 4A Region 1. I would keep South over Elizabethton at this rate.

On the other hand, with South picking up Boone that will help at the ticket box and since they have met the past two years in the first round of the playoffs it seems logical. Adding Science Hill is also a good move from the Rebels as well as the Hilltoppers. South is a little stiffer competition than Central, Elizabethton, and Cherokee, not taking away from their programs, just stating the consensus.

DB playing out of conference opponenets William Blount, Oak Ridge, Tennessee High is fine but the AD needs to look for a heck of a better opponent in Week 0 than Elizabethton.

Science Hill picking up Sullivan South, hanging on to Tennessee High and hopefully searching for two other, better, opponents to fill in the remaining gaps would be nice.

Lets write e-mails to the AD's. Maybe they'd hear us loud and clear if we were in their proverbial ear (yeah, they might not reply to the e-mail but I would guarantee they would read them).

Dobyns Bennett Atheltic Director, Cary Daniels cdaniels@k12k.com

Science Hill Athelic Director, Keith Turner turnerk@jcschools.org

Appreciate it. I can understand why DB would want to schedule William Blount and Oak Ridge. William Blount has given us a game in the playoffs the past few years and are a possible playoff opponent. The rivalry with Oak Ridge goes alot deeper than the South rivarly since the Atomic City and Model City worked together to construct the atomic bomb not to mention that they are possible playoff opponent. Tennessee High I can also understand for the immediate future since they are a team from the Tri-Cities and I think this city to city rivalry is a good idea for bragging rights not to mention year in and year out Tennessee High is a good team. HOWEVER, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO SCHEDULE ELIZABETHTON AT THIS POINT. I don't wish to take away from the program in Elizabethton but a game with the cyclones will not better the Indians down the stretch. Schedule another 5A team from say Region 2, 3, or 4 but not a weak 4A Region 1. I would keep South over Elizabethton at this rate.

On the other hand, with South picking up Boone that will help at the ticket box and since they have met the past two years in the first round of the playoffs it seems logical. Adding Science Hill is also a good move from the Rebels as well as the Hilltoppers. South is a little stiffer competition than Central, Elizabethton, and Cherokee, not taking away from their programs, just stating the consensus.

DB playing out of conference opponenets William Blount, Oak Ridge, Tennessee High is fine but the AD needs to look for a heck of a better opponent in Week 0 than Elizabethton.

Science Hill picking up Sullivan South, hanging on to Tennessee High and hopefully searching for two other, better, opponents to fill in the remaining gaps would be nice.

Lets write e-mails to the AD's. Maybe they'd hear us loud and clear if we were in their proverbial ear (yeah, they might not reply to the e-mail but I would guarantee they would read them).

Dobyns Bennett Atheltic Director, Cary Daniels cdaniels@k12k.com

Science Hill Athelic Director, Keith Turner turnerk@jcschools.org

I understand all the talk about playing tougher out of region competition but what is Sevier County's excuse for playing in Region 1 and being the only region 1 rep in the 2nd round for the 2nd straight year?

I agree with a tough schedule but I'm not sure a tough game in week 0 helps in week 11. In 2001 DB beat MBA for there first loss at home in some time, the season ended the same as this year...a 1st round loss to WB at home. I relate that to the same thing at UT...tough early season schedule and then end the season with Vandy/Ky....results in several disappointing losses in the Peach Bowl etc. I think there needs to be a way to sustain momentum through the season so when the playoffs come around the team is focused. I hoped the Sevier County game was going to help but seeing the Karns game and listening to the broadcasters openly question how a team could be flat against Karns and Science Hill. I believe if the conference was tougher it would improve the overall success. It wasnt many years ago when 1-5a was as tough if not tougher than 2-5a. DB, JeffCo, Science Hill, and Sevier County were pretty tuff outs.

I understand all the talk about playing tougher out of region competition but what is Sevier County's excuse for playing in Region 1 and being the only region 1 rep in the 2nd round for the 2nd straight year?

I agree with a tough schedule but I'm not sure a tough game in week 0 helps in week 11. In 2001 DB beat MBA for there first loss at home in some time, the season ended the same as this year...a 1st round loss to WB at home. I relate that to the same thing at UT...tough early season schedule and then end the season with Vandy/Ky....results in several disappointing losses in the Peach Bowl etc. I think there needs to be a way to sustain momentum through the season so when the playoffs come around the team is focused. I believe if the conference was tougher it would improve the overall success. It wasnt many years ago when 1-5a was as tough if not tougher than 2-5a. DB, JeffCo, Science Hill, and Sevier County were pretty tuff outs.

True, unfortunatley for 5A-R1 Jefferson County is down. There are alot of schools in 4A Region 1 and 2, maybe we could convince them to play up...haha. As of today, Sullivan South, Tennessee High, and most definatley Morristown West could compete on the 5A level, in Region 1 atleast, but when it came playoff time I don't know how that would reflect on playoff wins. It's just a problem that for now may be somewhat impossible to fix.

True, unfortunatley for 5A-R1 Jefferson County is down. There are alot of schools in 4A Region 1 and 2, maybe we could convince them to play up...haha. As of today, Sullivan South, Tennessee High, and most definatley Morristown West could compete on the 5A level, in Region 1 atleast, but when it came playoff time I don't know how that would reflect on playoff wins. It's just a problem that for now may be somewhat impossible to fix.

It is a problem in more places than region 1. 4 #1 seeds fell Friday night in 5A. That doesn't excuse it though.

If Mo-West establishes an annual game with DB are you all going to talk about us like you talk about South/TN High? :thumb: All jokes aside I would love to see Mo-West upgrade their schedule to include DB. I believe it could become a great rivalry, and would benifit both teams, of course if you ask Mo-East they are ones DB needs to schedule to upgrade, oops there I go again :lol:

If Mo-West establishes an annual game with DB are you all going to talk about us like you talk about South/TN High? :lol: All jokes aside I would love to see Mo-West upgrade their schedule to include DB. I believe it could become a great rivalry, and would benifit both teams, of course if you ask Mo-East they are ones DB needs to schedule to upgrade, oops there I go again :thumb:

I'm not sure why that matchup hasn't caught on...it seems like a logical game, a great team year-to-year, closer than most region games, and West is typically big and plays very physical, and are well coached. It seems like a no brainer

I'm not sure why that matchup hasn't caught on...it seems like a logical game, a great team year-to-year, closer than most region games, and West is typically big and plays very physical, and are well coached. It seems like a no brainer

DB's schedule will be upgraded over the next two years. Right now DB and Maryville scrimage the final week of pre-season. It was held at Carson Newman this year and while not a regular game, it is as close to one as any scrimages get. This helps prepare the Indians for the season. DB and Mo West will start playing in 2008. West will be upgraded to a 5A region 1 school in the next reclassification. Dainiel Boone might get moved up. Also in 2008 Maryville will be in 5A region 2. So two years from now DB will have William Blount, Oak Ridge, Tennessee High and Elizabethton as non region opponants. Mo west and possible Daniel Boone in the region. This is a much more competitive schedule.