Greeneville Coach Relieved Of Head Coach Duties

Challenger

So have any canadites been named ? What do the Greeneville fans want, what are you all looking for ? Has there schedule been set yet or are they waiting for a new coach to finish it.

Schedule is up...not sure who the coaching candidates are but the expect to make a decision before the end of January.

GHS 2007 Varsity Schedule

Friday , Aug. 17 Five Rivers Jamboree TBA

Friday , Aug. 24 @ Jefferson County 7:30

Friday , Sept. 7 @ Daniel Boone 7:30

Friday , Sept. 14 Sullivan South 7:30

Friday , Sept. 21 Cocke County 7:30

Friday , Sept. 28 @ Elizabethton 7:30

Friday , Oct. 5 @ Cherokee 7:30

Friday , Oct. 12 Volunteer 7:30

Friday , Oct. 19 Morristown West 7:30

Friday , Oct. 26 @ Morristown East 7:30

Friday , Nov. 2 Crockett 7:30

With classification coming up again next year, does anyone look to be moving up or down? MoEast is pretty close to 5A enrollment and West isn't far behind. If I was Greeneville, I think I would stay put, cause in a couple more years Morristown will outgrow 5 Rivers...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3A discussion is moot because Greeneville is not dropping to 3A. Whether you agree or not, those of you that have the opinion that Greeneville should drop have no say in them actually doing so and basically your opinion and reasoning do not matter. The school officials that do have a say in the decision have made it, and say that they will stay in 4A, a recent letter to the editor in the local paper addressed this issue and was responded to by the Director of Schools. From what I am seeing both Morristown schools and Crocket could all be headed to 5A if their numbers keep climbing. I have heard that a candidate has been selected, and if everything works out with him, an annoucement will be made soon.

Edited by gvegas

So what power does the new coach have ? What if he wants to drop to 3A, are the big powerful people in Greeneville not going to let him ? Who has the say so in that, dropping of classifications. To my knowledge, its up to the new coach if he wants to drop. Not the local natives that live in Greeneville !!!!

I think the new coach will probably know how things stand before he takes the job. You obviously shouldn't rely on your knowledge if you think a coach has the final say in any decisions involving such decisions...I would think the AD would have a big part in that decision.

So what power does the new coach have ? What if he wants to drop to 3A, are the big powerful people in Greeneville not going to let him ? Who has the say so in that, dropping of classifications. To my knowledge, its up to the new coach if he wants to drop. Not the local natives that live in Greeneville !!!!

The Director of Schools said that he made this decision in a reply to a "Letter to the Editor" which questioned this issue in the Greeneville Sun recently and stated that if anyone wanted to hear the reasons behind this decision, they could speak with him. He is in charge of the school system, so if he says they will remain in 4A, they will.

Edited by gvegas

How long before 'Boones census throws them into 5A? 3 years?

According to Coach Jenkins, there is a very very good possibility that you might see Boone, Crockett, and Morristown West in 5A. The numbers at those schools are just too high and are doing nothing but growing. I think West might skim by, but I think when 2008 or whatever happens, you'll see all Washington County high schools in 5A.

According to Coach Jenkins, there is a very very good possibility that you might see Boone, Crockett, and Morristown West in 5A. The numbers at those schools are just too high and are doing nothing but growing. I think West might skim by, but I think when 2008 or whatever happens, you'll see all Washington County high schools in 5A.

MoEast has the larger enrollment in Hamblen county, I would think they might be the first to go...I think they were like 25-30 students shy at the last census.

Crockett is 5A currently.

The TSSAA gave them a type of "waiver" to not play 5A football back in 2004. Can't blame them, either.

That wouldnt have been pretty if Crockett would've been 5A...(Still wont be beautiful, despite the improvement they made this year)....

Crockett is 5A currently.

The TSSAA gave them a type of "waiver" to not play 5A football back in 2004. Can't blame them, either.

That wouldnt have been pretty if Crockett would've been 5A...(Still wont be beautiful, despite the improvement they made this year)....

The Optional School students for Washington County (Asbury) go on Crocketts attendance. That is why they got a waiver from the TSSAA. Those students are from all over NE Tennessee but Crockett has to count them. Those students there are not able to play sports. Those numbers add about 300 students to Crocketts attendance in addition their test scores and graduation rates count on Crockett's numbers. In addition to the optional school, Crockett has to take all of the county's Behavior Modification students. These are the students that can not function in a normal school setting. However, their test scores and enrollment all count against Crockett. Boone doesn't have to fool with these issues. These are little known facts that drastically effects Crockett's reputation academically and as a whole. If they took their numbers at Crockett in house then people would look at the school in a different light.

The worst thing that has ever happened to Crockett was when they moved fromt he IMAC to the BIG 9 in all the other sports. Football has never been real strong but we could compete in Baseball and Basketball in the IMAC.

Edited by DCHS

Ok I kept my mouth shut long enough. Greeneville can compete at the 4a level seems to me a few years ago they played Maryville in the Semi finals. Then enter the the current Head Basketball Coach and the AD/ head baseball coach. Both are great coaches but, Greeneville is not sharing their athletes. When Greeneville has been successful in sports in the past they shared athletes. They have to, to be able to compete. How many Basketballers were told not to play football? Mike Zeller was a good football coach, but had no support from the current school staff. Until Ghs gets all staff on the same page. The football program will suffer.

Fred Sorrells and Gene King always kept the a close knit group of coaches regardless of their differences. They always competed.

Ok I kept my mouth shut long enough. Greeneville can compete at the 4a level seems to me a few years ago they played Maryville in the Semi finals. Then enter the the current Head Basketball Coach and the AD/ head baseball coach. Both are great coaches but, Greeneville is not sharing their athletes. When Greeneville has been successful in sports in the past they shared athletes. They have to, to be able to compete. How many Basketballers were told not to play football? Mike Zeller was a good football coach, but had no support from the current school staff. Until Ghs gets all staff on the same page. The football program will suffer.

Fred Sorrells and Gene King always kept the a close knit group of coaches regardless of their differences. They always competed.

Greeneville has guys every year play both sports...this is a stupid comment. BJ Washington was great in both last year and Lance Bailey, Chris Epley, Jordan Greenway play both this year. Chase Greenway played as did Corey Shipley and Spencer Mercer.And let's not forget Ben Cooper, Braun Dabbs,Gillespie and JB Blue. If a coach "suggests" a kid should stick to one sport, it is probably because that is what they excell in. I can't really picture say,Antwaine Wiggins as effective on the field, and with his history of ankle and knee injuries it would be unwise. So what great football players from Greeneville have limited themselves to Basketball because Duncan "suggested it"