Ooltewah @ Smyrna

Owlbino

Well this is my analysis after hearing a bit about the Owls and talking to some of the players this week. Smyrna is very focused on the Owls, they are over the Riverdale win, the only thing that I am some-what worried about is the fact that they have never really had any experiance against the Owls. However, film should have disected the ways of there offense in a way. In my opinion the best way to stop a "Balanced Offense" Is to play it straight up Cover 2. Have your stunts ready and your cornerback blitzes ready. If Smyrna gets pressure in the backfield and makes the QB make some bad decisions (Like I have heard he does) and force the run it could make this game somewhat of a "Field Possesion" game. The run defense for the Owls is pretty good, I expect to see a lot of HALF BACK DRAWS to get the owls in some man-to-man coverage and Throw to Rod and Jesse (if he is ready to play) And or Josh Crouch. Doing that would allow some points to be put on the board. Like I said last game against Riverdale, SPECIAL TEAMS will be very important. Kick-off coverage and also Extra Points and Field goals. Look for Smyrna to put up early field goals over risks to see if Hosford (SP?) Can hit them tonight. Maybe this will finally be Rod. Wilks game to show-case his talent to more scouts to prove he isnt just a regular season WR/PR/KR. Good luck to both teams. I think Smyrna's big hits on defense rattle the YOUNG Owls and put them in a shell-shocked position and pull off the "upset" as some people are saying so.

24-14 Smyrna Wins in a close one, closer than the score, that is!

Looks like a pretty good analysis to me. Looks like you understand and know what you are talking about. However I will disagree with one thing. You said that they need to force Ooltewah's QB Jeremy Woods into make bad decisions.. ( Like you heard he does). I am not sure where you heard this from or who told you this but I have not seen this quarterback make hardly any bad decisions all year. Maybe 1 or 2 but that is outstanding considering he has played 13 games. He has only thrown 4 INTs this year. He is probably one of the best and most cool quarterbacks I have seen in a long time under pressure. He always seems to get away from the pressure and keep his head down field picking up big plays with his feet or arm. When he starts to escape the pressure you better hope that the Smyrna defenders don't think about leaving there man to come stop him on the run because he will burn with the pass, but you better find someone to keep him from running under pressure.

Great analysis though, look forward to seeing how it all plays out on Friday.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't really compare this arguement. Simply because Nashville 5A schools get a 2 to 1 shot on the East Tennessee schools. There are 2 Regions in Nashville, one which splits to the west (which is not every year; but normally is weaker than East Tennessee Football) and then you have a region that splits into the east division in the playoffs. So Nashville has a shot to get 2 teams in the Championship game every year where as 5A teams from East Tennessee only get a shot at putting 1 team in it a year. So it is really unfair to compare whick section of the state has had more teams in the Championship game. I understand your arguement but it just isn't really fair. If you think it is then if East Tennessee gets a team in half as much as Nashville area schools then it should be called even.

And not to mention The Region from Nashville that goes East and all those East Tennessee schools have to deal with Riverdale every year!!!

Great post! This is very true. The main reason Middle Tennessee 5a is so strong is because of Riverdale. I'd rather play Smryna than Riverdale anyday. Should be a great game. I can't wait.

Well this is my analysis after hearing a bit about the Owls and talking to some of the players this week. Smyrna is very focused on the Owls, they are over the Riverdale win, the only thing that I am some-what worried about is the fact that they have never really had any experiance against the Owls. However, film should have disected the ways of there offense in a way. In my opinion the best way to stop a "Balanced Offense" Is to play it straight up Cover 2. Have your stunts ready and your cornerback blitzes ready. If Smyrna gets pressure in the backfield and makes the QB make some bad decisions (Like I have heard he does) and force the run it could make this game somewhat of a "Field Possesion" game. The run defense for the Owls is pretty good, I expect to see a lot of HALF BACK DRAWS to get the owls in some man-to-man coverage and Throw to Rod and Jesse (if he is ready to play) And or Josh Crouch. Doing that would allow some points to be put on the board. Like I said last game against Riverdale, SPECIAL TEAMS will be very important. Kick-off coverage and also Extra Points and Field goals. Look for Smyrna to put up early field goals over risks to see if Hosford (SP?) Can hit them tonight. Maybe this will finally be Rod. Wilks game to show-case his talent to more scouts to prove he isnt just a regular season WR/PR/KR. Good luck to both teams. I think Smyrna's big hits on defense rattle the YOUNG Owls and put them in a shell-shocked position and pull off the "upset" as some people are saying so.

24-14 Smyrna Wins in a close one, closer than the score, that is!

This is a pretty good analysis but I do disagree with you about Jeremy Woods making bad decesions. That is his strength in my opinion. He has this cool layed back personality and rarely gets jumbled. So far when the pressure is on he has responded well. He has great scrambling ability with better than average speed. (He started free-safety last year.) He can also sit in the pocket until the last possible second to deliver a pass. Ooltewah will be ready for this game. Ooltewah has averaged 35.7 points per game in the playoffs. I don't think Smyrna will hold them to 14 points. No one has all year. Ooltewah will score 30+ points in opinion. The question is, can Ooltewah stop Sonny? Ooltewah has injured 3 of that last 3 qb's in the playoffs this year. The defense will lay the wood. Should be a great game!

Edited by ImaOWL

4 interceptions shows a lot of accuracy I will admit to being wrong on that. If he passes that good and throws it over 10 times this game, it could be a very close game.

Some games he throws 15-20 times some games he throws 6 or 7. It all depends on the score of the game and how well Marshall is running the ball. But most of the time Ooltewah just pounds it with Marshall.

However I think they are most dangerous when Ooltewah goes to their spread offense with 4 Wide Recievers and just Marshall in the backfield with Woods. It allows Woods to make alot of passes and makes the defense respect the throwing ability of Ooltewah but thins the opposing defense up front and allows Marshall to get to the corners and sidelines easier (where is the most dangerous).

Yes I do understand the mistake I made on saying the QB made mistakes, must have gottin the wrong stats. Yes his speed will help him, hopefully he doesnt take any hits. This will be a very tough game to put up 30+ Smyrna's D hasnt given up but around 4 TD's in the past 4 or 5 games I believe (The 1st string D). Its bent, but not broken. Look for Smyrna's D to get big stops early and knock down the Owl's Offensive confidence. The coach will have confidence but will he be able to get that same confidence into the team. Like I said also earlier, you can be for sure that the Owl's defense will be blitzing a lot trying to get to Sonny, The HB Draw will be a VERY important play, look for Maceo Harris to get a lot of yards if this is the case, he is more of a speedy HB than Antoine. However the PA. Draw will be good, maybe even some PA Reads will be effective too with a Streaking route on the sideline. This will be a BIG play game however not a high-scoring game.

IDI, Going 4-Spread against Smyrna will be an intresting strategy considering it did not work with LaVergnes A-rod. That would be some-what of a risk and a "We have better athletes than LaVergne so it should work" call. Those 2 running backs will be huge difference makers too, will they break tackles/outrun the Smyrna Defense, a very important question as well! This game is as good as advertised should have a GREAT crowd.

Smyrna Fans,

Before we forget, everyone was picking Riverdale to beat us last week. Go ahead, let them pick Ooltewah over us...But the game still has to be played. That's why they sell tickets.

Just play hard and you'll see the results of your hard work Smyrna. Don't get frustrated by arm chair quarterback predicters.

Coach Gonyea

Smyrna Hightransparentdog.gif

Smyrna Fans,

Before we forget, everyone was picking Riverdale to beat us last week. Go ahead, let them pick Ooltewah over us...But the game still has to be played. That's why they sell tickets.

Just play hard and you'll see the results of your hard work Smyrna. Don't get frustrated by arm chair quarterback predicters.

Coach Gonyea

Smyrna Fans are picking Smyrna..

Ooltewah Fans are picking Ooltewah..

Whats wrong with that??

Smyrna Fans,

Coach Gonyea

Thats what coachT is for. To express your opinion on how the game is going to be played and who is going to win. Ooltewah fans predict Ooltewah to win while Smyrna fans predict Smyrna to win. Thats part of it.... Trust me if Ooltewah loses the game it won't be because they overlooked Smyrna. They know they are good obviously because its the 4th round of the playoffs. Good luck to both teams and may the best team win!