2007 clinic bowl

timbdp

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of......can someone tell me about the clinic bowl?

Maybe it has changed, but in the 80's I remember my HS team was in it a couple of times and won it once. It seemed like a good thing, but they were not in the playoffs.

The Clinic Bowl is a way to raise funds for Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital. When the TSSAA State Championships were held at Vanderbilt the final games were called the Clinic Bowl. Before the playoffs they would play a game (may have been Thanksgiving Day) between two good high school teams and the game was refered to as the Clinic Bowl. It seems like they would get the best "city team" and have them play the best "county or rual" team" @ Vanderbilt and call the game the Clinic Bowl.

Edited by cbg

• 1 month later...

The Clinic Bowl is a way to raise funds for Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital. When the TSSAA State Championships were held at Vanderbilt the final games were called the Clinic Bowl. Before the playoffs they would play a game (may have been Thanksgiving Day) between two good high school teams and the game was refered to as the Clinic Bowl. It seems like they would get the best "city team" and have them play the best "county or rual" team" @ Vanderbilt and call the game the Clinic Bowl.

The city vs. rural may be accurate. I attended in 1982 when Overton played Clarksville High School. Clarksville was still considered fairly 'rural' at the time. Coldest night of my LIFE!

The Clinic bowl is still a fund raiser for Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, but they seem to be pitting rivalries that might not meet during the regular season. The 2006 Clinic bowl pitted David Lipscomb vs. Goodpasture. Since David Lipscomb was multiplied up to 3A, these teams are no longer playing for the 2A state championship, but are huge rivals. I have not heard about the 2007 teams yet.

Edited by Morton

• 3 weeks later...