Why does a 13-0 team ever have to travel?

Rabble Rouser

Rotation system????......fair to whom?????

Maybe to the perenial powers who are there every year, but for the schmoes who make it once in a blue moon. To go 13-0 and have to travel because it's an odd or even year goes against everything that is right about sports. You earn it on the field, not on the calendar.

For the schmoes who make it once in a blue moon it should be a goal to become a perenial power and therefore your point is mute. For any team to have a goal to make it once in a blue moon is ridiculous. Give the perenial powers credit for being just that. For the schmoes out there why should they be given home field advantage when they havent done anything except for one year? Maybe they had an easy way to Murfreesboro by playing sub par teams.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the schmoes who make it once in a blue moon it should be a goal to become a perenial power and therefore your point is mute. For any team to have a goal to make it once in a blue moon is ridiculous. Give the perenial powers credit for being just that. For the schmoes out there why should they be given home field advantage when they havent done anything except for one year? Maybe they had an easy way to Murfreesboro by playing sub par teams.

First, the word you were looking for is moot, not mute and I should correct my own post, it's perennial, not perenial.

I'm gonna guess you follow a perennial power. Good for you, and I have absolutely nothing against such teams. In fact, My issues favors you guys. This stupid rule actually hurts perennial powers.

Why should you travel to a 8-5 team because the calendar says so? Conversely, on the odd year when a good group of kids come through a non-traditional power, which happens to run the table, why should it travel because the calendar says so.

I really think if you will reread your own post, you'll see the folly in the argument. What happened last year, and what the calendar says, should have zero impact on what happens on the field this year. A 13-0 team should be rewarded, and I don't care whether it's a powerhouse or an upstart. It's bush league to try and determine it by board meeting in advance.

Home field is an honor and a reward that should be earned on the field by the two teams playing that year. How you deal with two 13-0 teams is an entirely different matter,

And, it goes without saying, a good team wins no matter where they play. That has nothing to do with my point.

Edited by Rabble Rouser

This is such a stupid topic. The reason there is a rotation system is to be fair to teams with the same records. I.E. Red Bank vs. Maryville and MoWest vs. Maryville, All three teams were undefeated when they played each other. If there was no rotation, either way someone feels like they're getting a bad deal. That's probably the ONLY reason for a rotation, but it is a sufficient reason. Besides traveling is fun, especially when you win on someone else's field. JMHO.

This is such a stupid topic. The reason there is a rotation system is to be fair to teams with the same records. I.E. Red Bank vs. Maryville and MoWest vs. Maryville, All three teams were undefeated when they played each other. If there was no rotation, either way someone feels like they're getting a bad deal. That's probably the ONLY reason for a rotation, but it is a sufficient reason. Besides traveling is fun, especially when you win on someone else's field. JMHO.

Give me a freakin' break. I can't help but notice your signature. You guys are the premiere program and probably the reason for this stupid rule, and I mean that with a great deal of respect to Maryville. I have nothing but respect for your program, but consider the real ramifications of such a rule for the rest of the world. You are going to beat a 13-0 team no matter your record because you are that good, and it probably is a lot of fun to get out of the house every now and then, but the dang calendar should not harm a good team for having a breakout year.

BTW, congrats on another great year and that was quite a spanking you put on Red Bank, a 12-0 team that rightfully got to host a playoff game. Come on guys, winning 'em all should count for something.

Edited by Rabble Rouser

BTW, congrats on another great year and that was quite a spanking you put on Red Bank, a 12-0 team that rightfully got to host a playoff game. Come on guys, winning 'em all should count for something.

When I moved to Tn. I didn't understand it myself. But over time I came to see that it is fair.

Regular season get you to the playoffs. You go 10-0 you are sure of 2 home field games then the odd/even year thing kicks in.

As a fan we may not think it is fair but the rule is there year after year and it doesn't favor anyone. Best you can hope for is to be a 1 seed two years in a row and win your second season games and it will equal out. Anyway, most kids like to travel because it gets them out of school for 2 days.

Heck, if you are playing the 3/4th round just load up, take a trip and be happy about it. Alot of teams and fans would love to be in your place.

When I moved to Tn. I didn't understand it myself. But over time I came to see that it is fair.

Regular season get you to the playoffs. You go 10-0 you are sure of 2 home field games then the odd/even year thing kicks in.

As a fan we may not think it is fair but the rule is there year after year and it doesn't favor anyone. Best you can hope for is to be a 1 seed two years in a row and win your second season games and it will equal out. Anyway, most kids like to travel because it gets them out of school for 2 days.

Heck, if you are playing the 3/4th round just load up, take a trip and be happy about it. Alot of teams and fans would love to be in your place.

Yep! And some great memories from the road trips! At Riverdale, we have the Poncho Badge for the night it rained 12 inches at Cordova. We had the night at Oak Ridge where a nice man gave us all hot chocolate after the game, and we won! Had the game at a school east of us I won't mention where a sudden 'rainstorm/sprinkler malfunction' turned the field into a quagmire. You make new friends on the bus ride there and sometimes meet folks at the tailgate party on the road you don't remember seeing at the home games. And coming home from a big win, stopping at a McDonalds and trying to feed a hungry football team and some of their mamas and daddies, trying to get the scores from the other games.... Some great nights and locations, like the night we played at Sevier County when they had Joey Matthews and we had Eric Locke . Playing at Oak Ridge in the snow.

Memories for a lifetime... New Malls to visit. New Concessions stands for hotdogs and diet cokes....... And more badges to earn.....

Edited by davidlimbaugh

Yeah, just what the world needs, football players missing more school. :)

First, the word you were looking for is moot, not mute and I should correct my own post, it's perennial, not perenial.

I'm gonna guess you follow a perennial power. Good for you, and I have absolutely nothing against such teams. In fact, My issues favors you guys. This stupid rule actually hurts perennial powers.

Why should you travel to a 8-5 team because the calendar says so? Conversely, on the odd year when a good group of kids come through a non-traditional power, which happens to run the table, why should it travel because the calendar says so.

I really think if you will reread your own post, you'll see the folly in the argument. What happened last year, and what the calendar says, should have zero impact on what happens on the field this year. A 13-0 team should be rewarded, and I don't care whether it's a powerhouse or an upstart. It's bush league to try and determine it by board meeting in advance.

Home field is an honor and a reward that should be earned on the field by the two teams playing that year. How you deal with two 13-0 teams is an entirely different matter,

And, it goes without saying, a good team wins no matter where they play. That has nothing to do with my point.

first of all thanks for correcting me. It always kills me to know that there are so many english majors on here. :thumb: second, no I dont follow a traditional power. In fact my team actually broke tradition this year and made it to the second round. It is my hope that we do become a perennial power but we're not quite there yet. If a good team wins no matter where they play then why the argument. Someone said it earlier this is stupid. Its a system. It works. Its TSSAA not bush league. Get used to it.

first of all thanks for correcting me. It always kills me to know that there are so many english majors on here. :thumb: second, no I dont follow a traditional power. In fact my team actually broke tradition this year and made it to the second round. It is my hope that we do become a perennial power but we're not quite there yet. If a good team wins no matter where they play then why the argument. Someone said it earlier this is stupid. Its a system. It works. Its TSSAA not bush league. Get used to it.

I get it now. It's not about this year's football team and what they have done. It's about new malls, new hotels, new experiences for teams that make it every year.

Actually guys, I knew all along why this rule is in place. I just wanted to argue the idea that going undefeated - this year - should be rewarded

I really don't see how you say the rule is unfair. We have been on both sides of it, getting to play at home and on the road. I think alternating home field is the only fair way to do it. As this years and every years playoffs demonstrated, 10-0 is not the same as 10-0 in another region. There is too much difference in strength of schedule across the state to go strictly by overall record and consider that to be fair.

Every year 13-0 means you hosted the first 2 rounds. Besides, what solution do you offer when 2 schools with 13-0 records meet in the semis?

Edited by stangfan