Goodpasture vs. Alcoa

GHSFAN07

Okay, I've been reading the posts concerning Goodpasture over the past several weeks and finally had to register to put a response in. I've been at just about every GP game over the past two years so I have some insight I believe. I don't think anyone is going to deny Alcoa has a really good team but here are a few points I'd like to make for Goodpasture:

In the final last year, the kids were nervous and gave Alcoa the kick-off for both halves; a mistake that won't happen again.

QB Stroud was wearing a knee brace recovering from an injury and couldn't scramble that well; he's healthy now.

The team has been playing all year knowing they did not perform at the level they could in that game and that's been their sole motivation; get back to prove they belong in that game and they have.

Each of the "7" have a different style of running, which makes it a little harder to defend than 1 or 2 RB studs like Shiverdecker, I think. One of those, Tracey Mayes, was out for the title game with a broken leg I think. He's also back and healthy and very effective in the corner spot as well. Now Medley and Lovell don't have to carry the load with Harris, Cunningham, Goodloe, Rogan, and Mayes all doing their part well too.

They certainly have the ability to pass, they just haven't had the need that much. I think Alcoa might force them to pass more, then you'll see that part of their O which is very effective. Darnell has been doing a great job and KJ Beavers is back from a collar bone break and in top form.

Clay Paul, the most under-rated kicker in the state in my opinion, boots the ball deep or short, wherever they decide to put it, as well as being money on PAT's and field goals (although rarely needed this season if at all).

Most of the points scored against them have come while the younger players were in, as is the case with Alcoa, except when playing the better opponents like Lipscomb, JPII, CPA, and Milan. All very good teams. None of which came down to the wire except for Lipscomb (3A title likely), the first game of the season.

The O line led by Fisher and Groves has been able to keep all of the good RB's faced contained except for Golden Tate a few times (DII A/AA Back of the Year, twice) but we still won.

Almost all of the starters this year were the starters last year. We didn't lose but a couple of players to graduation and those spots have been filled by as good as or better players. The juniors that are starting have improved tremendously adding both talent and size.

GP has a "grind it out" mentality using clock control. They've scored the big plays because they have "big play" capability.

The reason I write all of this is to say GP helped Alcoa beat them last year by making mistakes, something you can't do against such a good team. They will take the knowledge gained from those mistakes and do their very level best to not let that happen again. With all of this talk about speed, no speed, I really think it takes a talented team effort, regardless of a 40 time, to win this game. GP has that. I'm not saying they are going to win, I wouldn't be that cocky. I am saying they have as good a chance to be '06 2A state champs as Alcoa. To all of the Alcoa fans, you have a right to be proud of your team. They are that good. But so is Goodpasture. This is not the same team you played last year. Sure, most of the starters are the same but this is not the team you "drummed" last year. Not by a long shot. I can't guarantee a win, but I can assure you GP will bring you one heck of a game to the 'Boro Friday. If Alcoa wins, it will have been well earned and not given. If Goodpasture wins, it will validate what Cougar fans have been saying all year: this is their year. I think this will be a high-scoring effort on both sides since both have such potent offenses, so I think it comes down to defense and clock control, both of which Goodpasture has done very well all year. Good luck to both teams and bundle up, it's going to be a cold night.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well this should be a game 4 the scouts b/c both teams have a few d-1 prospects but i think Alcoa takes this one. After seein them against Smith Co last week they are very fast and physical. Shiverdecker is Bad. He is very fast and breaks alot of tackles. their def is big and fast #90 is a Beast. their off is fast and Cobb #7 can throw and run Gp has a good running game but i think they will have to pass to win which they havent done much this season it will be a good game but Alcoa pulls away late and wins 42-28

If its not the same Goodpasture team as last year, then can i pleae have your off season workout program??? Because from reading what has been posted your players have all cut like 3 or 4 tenths off their 40 times!!!

People keep saying how Goodpasture only lost a coupel guys, well so did Alcoa. Alcoa lost 6 starters to graduation, and gain Rae Sykes from injury, so we will say they lost 5 starters.

GP fans keep bragging about their "fresh legs" and about how "fast" they are. Well, it would be easy for the game to be closer than last year. But Alcoa will prevail.

Alcoa has more depth across the board. We don't need to focus on just one position, but just as GP can run in many backs---Alcoa can run in as many linemen. Alcoa is tested, GP is not. Alcoa has the mental advantage, GP does not. Alcoa is more confident (back-to-back champs). Oh yeah, Alcoa has the faster players and the better athletes.

GP is quick to point out that this year's team is better with the same players; but Alcoa is not merely as good, even though they have most of the same group as last year. GP is quick to forget that last year's 55-13 beat down could have been a lot worse. Alcoa was not playing at full strength. It's best player (Brandon Warren) and Rae Sykes did not even play in the game.

To win, GP needs many breaks and has to control the ball. If it is a high scoring game, Alcoa will win easily. GP needs to hold Alcoa 21 points or less. There is not a 2A school that can score more than 24 on Alcoa's starters. I don't believe GP's defense can hold Alcoa under 24 points.

ALCOA-38

GP--20

A few corrections UK. Goodpasture doesn't have the same players. Alcoa will see 5 other runningbacks they didn't see last year, 1 reciever, and 3 other defensive backs and THEN we have the same team. Kind of like editing last yrs team. And last years game was a joke. If you go look at the stats of the game you will see Goodpasture had 4 turnovers in there own territory which all turned in to scores. According to the stats Alcoa's average field position was on GP's 49. Goodpasture also didn't do to bad rushing with their medeocrate caliber team. Stroud the QB also has more confidence this year and will be a better leader. This year, Alcoa doesn't know how good Goodpasture is and doesn't respect them, Goodpasture knows how good Alcoa is and respects them. Trust me this year will be a game. I think this game will come down to turnovers. Whoever wins the turnover battle wins.

Edited by thekid2000

I hope Alcoas DBs are strong enough to get off a block on the corner.

Somehow I see this comment provoking several rebutals about how the Alcoa DBs run 4 flats and bench 400 lbs.

No, Alcoa's DB's don't have to run 4 flat or bench 400lbs............all they need to do is have enough speed to turn GP's sweep back to the inside..........something Milan could NOT do! :thumb: Speed! :thumb:

No, Alcoa's DB's don't have to run 4 flat or bench 400lbs............all they need to do is have enough speed to turn GP's sweep back to the inside..........something Milan could NOT do! :thumb: Speed! :thumb:

There are a number of teams that have thought that this year

loading up the line but what happens is just as they are going

outside, the running back cuts back and goes all the way for a

score so this theory holds no merit. Cutback Ability!

Last year is last year!This year is this year!Region to region dont compare a Fairview team we beat 62-19 to a team you alls region.CPA is a much better team than CAK.David Libscomb is a tuff 3a team which Goodpasture beat and so is JPII.Neither team has been tested by each other.Both teams should respect each other and com ready to play!

So you are saying that JPII and David Libscomb are equal to playing Maryville, McCallie, and Fulton. There so no way they compare.

There are a number of teams that have thought that this year

loading up the line but what happens is just as they are going

outside, the running back cuts back and goes all the way for a

score so this theory holds no merit. Cutback Ability!

It's going to be interesting if MTSU's new field turf surface will affect the speed. I was on the field last year and immediately noticed Alcoa had brand new shoes specifically for last year's surface. Last year's surface as most people know was the old, thin artificial turf. Alcoa had the thin, light shoes for that surface. Goodpasture it appeared were wearing antiquated basketball shoes for that surface. The new surface has the artificial blades of grass. It's thicker than the old surface. Most teams wear traditional cleats on this new surface. Plus, MTSU removed the crown in the field. Meaning, the field is now flat instead of having the bow in the middle which used to allow backs to gain speed while literally running down hill when running side to side. In my opinion, the new surface will be slower than last year not faster. This brings us to a new question, if indeed the field is slower who does that benefit? By the way, all of my surface info while coming from last year's observation also comes from two of my co-workers who played at MTSU and both described the crown downhill affect.

It's going to be interesting if MTSU's new field turf surface will affect the speed. I was on the field last year and immediately noticed Alcoa had brand new shoes specifically for last year's surface. Last year's surface as most people know was the old, thin artificial turf. Alcoa had the thin, light shoes for that surface. Goodpasture it appeared were wearing antiquated basketball shoes for that surface. The new surface has the artificial blades of grass. It's thicker than the old surface. Most teams wear traditional cleats on this new surface. Plus, MTSU removed the crown in the field. Meaning, the field is now flat instead of having the bow in the middle which used to allow backs to gain speed while literally running down hill when running side to side. In my opinion, the new surface will be slower than last year not faster. This brings us to a new question, if indeed the field is slower who does that benefit? By the way, all of my surface info while coming from last year's observation also comes from two of my co-workers who played at MTSU and both described the crown downhill affect.

Good points, but you would have thought that "crown" would have helped Goodpasture more on their jet sweep, especially since the RB has a running start.