A Thought about Merit Plan...

JaxMan

I too was a kid who would have been given up on...the two students in question were both dismissed from the team and withdrew from the school as a result...the school attempted to provide our mission as long as they were students and afterwards as long as the student allowed...I would be more specific but in respect to the 2 kids and their families I won't say more...

Schools have missions...all schools want to prepare kids with a quality education and a future...some privates also have a religous mission...at JCS we want to introduce them to God...not save them...how their relationship with God progresses is up to them...when the mission of any school is threatened by a student..any student athelete or not...the mission of the school is bigger than the student...when that mission is threatened is the hard part...as Lazarus said I agree sports are a benefit not a right...I think taking away a benefit is good...I think dismissing a kid from school is only a last resort when the mission of the school is to be hurt...

Lazarus, if I misread your impressions I am sorry...I did not intend to lump you together with any group...my regrets

Edited by JaxMan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another really noticeable thing is MONEY. comparing the 1a public schools facilities, to the one I saw last night was like camparing a shack to a penthouse. Its just not fair.

But who's responsible for the facilities differences between public and private schools? Its the people who give, or don't give money to the public schools - you're elected officials.

Yet the perception that many seem to imply is that the privates recruit the athletes, the parents then pay their $5,000 per year, and the football programs at the privates end up with incredible facilities. And this is simply not the case.

Perhaps we would be better off with a system that looks at performance over strict enrollment. But it should be blind to the private-public debate. I would agree that if a program is successful, for whatever reason, then they should play against programs of similar success. However, I do like the idea of there being some minimum or maximum enrollment standards in the "tiers".