A Thought about Merit Plan...

JaxMan

I realize the merit system thread is serious and since this is somewhat tounge in cheek I didn't want to post it there out of respect for coacht and others who are looking for a real solution...

I have a company that sells major retailers...Lowes, TSC, Petsmart etc...since one of my competitors sells Walmart and I don't...wonder if we could have a merit system were they have to let me have them every few years...if they beat me at business they must have an unfair advantage...we could say who ever had them last year can't sell them the next...then all the other companies have a fair chance...it would save jobs and help little compaines who have to compete with big companies with unfair advantages...isn't that how life really works...then I could sit around the country club and brag about my success...I like the merit system better all the time...

Edited by JaxMan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if your business is limited to a certain geographic area with a small population and your competitor can sell his product to anyone who can drive to his store from an unlimited geographic area with a large population? You can then meet at a neutral site every Friday night at 7PM and compare sales, winner-take-all.

kind of like the local hardware store and Home Depot...but life doesn't change the rules...I am not saying things are perfect the way they are...I used to strongly oppose privates being forced out...I have gotten tired of the fight and don't care anymore...I just am observing life isn't that way...and creating a false sense of success may not be the best answer...next year my school (JCS) moves to 2A...in a very tuff region...it would be esier to play Division 2 single A teams rather than face Milan and company every week...but I think my two sons learn more life lessons from trying to work harder...even if they lose...again...I don't know how to fix it...just my thoughts...and thanks for giving me this forum to express them on...otherwise I would have about 6 hours a day to have to fill with something else...lol

Honestly I do too...I guess my biggest beef is trying to hide it (this board in general not you) behind whats fair...it is about kids...at their school and ours...so lets find a system that is fair to all...we do chose private schools...and they chose to live in a certain school zone or not to send their kids to a magnet or what ever...but lets not punish anyone...lets not throw all privates together...they are no more the same than divison 1 privates and publics...it is a hard solution to find and I appreciate everyone looking for and answer...but I have yet to read one on here that I think is fair to publics and private non-aid giving schools...maybe 3 groups is the answer...if we are going to be fair lets be fair to all...not just our school...

Edited by JaxMan

they chose to live in a certain school zone or not to send their kids to a magnet or what ever

Never been to Mt. Pleasant, have you? For most of them the choices are a little more basic.

I'm not at all convinced there is a fair system if the season ends with a playoff, which most of us want.

yes I have been there...actually my comments were not directed at Mt Pleasant but in general to single a schools...actually the MP fans on here and after the game have not once talked about unfair private schools with the exception of one post...regardless of the outcome I am just talking about the system...MP may not have a choice other than the local school as many rural communtites don't...my point is everyone has a choice...move to Columbia...bigger system..a private school choice...or play where you are...not easy...but honestly sometimes chosing a private school in Jackson over a public which is free isn't easy...alot of families struggle to keep kids there...I do agree there may not be a fair sytem for everyone...and I do appreciate the opportunity to discuss it...I merely was observing that life is about choices and dealing with sometimes unfair situations...but if we want to change it lets think about everyones position...including privates thinking about small publics...we may not still find the answer but if fair is the term we are going to use to make the change we all need to put ourselves in each others shoes and not just lump a group...any group together and not think how they are affected...I grew up in a semi small public school at a time when privates were really not an issue...I enjoyed the game...I never once played in a championship game...but I don't feel cheated and no one changed the system to give us an edge over bigger town schools...I chose a private school due to the religon offered and to avoid crime issues when I enrolled my four kids...right or wrong it worked for my family...education is a very personal choice...some can't afford options...some places they are not offered...some places they aren't needed as the local public school would be hard to improve on...I read on here unfair characterizations of both sides...not all publics hate privates and are cry babies...not all privates are rich kids who want to buy a trophy...I wish there was a good answer...I also don't think there is...and whatever happens we will deal with...we will have no choice or vote as no private school is on the TSSAA board...my plea is not to avoid change or for a specific change, just that both sides try to really understand the others perspective...

Edited by JaxMan

If it were possible to check out the percentage of hard working dedicated kid at the two types of schools, you might be able to find a common denominator. You would also have to take into account the average number of transfers 7th through 12th. Its not the private schools fault that they have the most dedicated kids ,but its not the public schools fault that they don't. The kids at private schools are their for reasons,they all have parents who want them fully prepared for whatever comes along, weather it be a football game or just making it in life. Public schools has this type of kids also but not anywhere neat the percent you will find at private schools. Another really noticeable thing is MONEY. comparing the 1a public schools falilities, to the one Isaw last night was like camparing a shack to a penthouse. Its just not fair.

If it were possible to check out the percentage of hard working dedicated kid at the two types of schools, you might be able to find a common denominator. You would also have to take into account the average number of transfers 7th through 12th. Its not the private schools fault that they have the most dedicated kids ,but its not the public schools fault that they don't. The kids at private schools are their for reasons,they all have parents who want them fully prepared for whatever comes along, weather it be a football game or just making it in life. Public schools has this type of kids also but not anywhere neat the percent you will find at private schools. Another really noticeable thing is MONEY. comparing the 1a public schools falilities, to the one Isaw last night was like camparing a shack to a penthouse. Its just not fair.

I completely see where you are coming from. There will never be complete equality for all. That is why I feel a merit system is such a great idea. It evens the playing field for all teams ... small publics, faith privates, prep privates, strong large publics, magnets, and open zoned schools.

I've always been a fan of Smith County's facilities ... as a 2A their facilities are as nice as anyones ... at least to me.

Nothing in life is fair.

I have traveled all over this state and it is evident that some towns have more money and they are nicer than other. There is noway that you can ever make things equal.