A Thought about Merit Plan...

JaxMan

Okay, take your number of 15% are privates.

According to Laz, privates won 64% of the regular season

games vs. publics, and privates have won 73% of the

playoff games this year against publics.

15% of the schools (privates) are winning 73% of the playoff

games?

And some of these public schools have the best team in

school history and get beat by privates.

If you don't see the disproportionate numbers, then

you are not seeing the entire picture. The numbers

don't lie, right?

Wow, venom dripping. I was honest when I asked you how you think that 0 championships last year and 1 or 2 this year made for an advantage. You were dishonest in switching to a multiplier...we already have one. You were claiming that WITH the multiplier there was still an advantage. Now who is dishonest?

Let me do the math for ya. 170 or so schools. 25 or so privates. So 15% private. 3 State Champions last year. 0 privates so 0% private. If 1 private wins this year then 1 of 6 or 17% privates (dead on average by pop). If 2 privates win then 34% private (above average but not unexpectedly so). But, seriously, we need about 10 years of data to determine if the multiplier is valid.

Finally, 'ad hominem', look into it. And I'm still waiting for you to tell me the answer. I have a bunch of possible ones, just wondering what you in your civility and wisdom have come up with...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you fine Christian people are the most dishonest people on here, now humble yourselves and tell us how ,after a 1.8 multiplier was handed to the dominate private school, we now have two private schools with a little over half the enrollment of the biggest 1a schools in the finals. WHATS THE ANSWER.

Not all private schools are christian schools...and I think we can discuss this without questions about anyone's faith...I would venture to say most of the public schools have families of faith enrolled...

Okay, take your number of 15% are privates.

According to Laz, privates won 64% of the regular season

games vs. publics, and privates have won 73% of the

playoff games this year against publics.

15% of the schools (privates) are winning 73% of the playoff

games?

That is a distortion. The 73% is for the set of games in which a private played a public. Private schools are obviously 50% of the teams in those games, not 15%.

If you count all games, then privates will have won 12 out of 31 in 1A (39%), eight or nine in 2A (26-29%), and ten or eleven in 3A (32-35%), for a grand total of 30-32 out of 93, almost exactly one-third. 15% of teams winning a third of the games is out of proportion, but not to the extent your phrasing implied.

Not all private schools are christian schools...and I think we can discuss this without questions about anyone's faith...I would venture to say most of the public schools have families of faith enrolled...

Thats not an answer ,thats a comment. Like I've said many times ,Iknow the answer and surely you people do also, you just have a problen spitting it out. What about the fishing relative Jaxman. Do private school parents get their kids to the gym a little more often. With all the private school kids working and add a few transfers, you've got a winner. You need to play schools who are like yourselves, then again ,I think you are fixing to.

we are moving to 2A next year...we will play much larger schools...we will likely have a long year...but I am fine with that...we play who appears on the schedule...why are so many privates winning? you asked...alot of reasons...we do have some advantages...as you said in another thread our kids who start in 9th grade tend to stay out...we do have higher levels of parent involvement...we do work hard all year...maybe it is easier for our parents to get kids their more often...not sure...as to transfers I would wager that the % of kids who have transfered into JCS compares with most public schools...I had a nephew who played for Greenfield a few yrs ago...all summer we had a weight program going...they did not...it makes a difference...maybe not everything but helps...split us and I am fine...just don't solve one problem bby creating another...I am willing to play any non-aid school...but don't think sending all privates to division 2 is the answer...but if it happens we will play there...and find a way to win...

Edited by JaxMan

we are moving to 2A next year...we will play much larger schools...we will likely have a long year...but I am fine with that...we play who appears on the schedule...why are so many privates winning? you asked...alot of reasons...we do have some advantages...as you said in another thread our kids who start in 9th grade tend to stay out...we do have higher levels of parent involvement...we do work hard all year...maybe it is easier for our parents to get kids their more often...not sure...as to transfers I would wager that the % of kids who have transfered into JCS compares with most public schools...I had a nephew who played for Greenfield a few yrs ago...all summer we had a weight program going...they did not...it makes a difference...maybe not everything but helps...split us and I am fine...just don't solve one problem bby creating another...I am willing to play any non-aid school...but don't think sending all privates to division 2 is the answer...but if it happens we will play there...and find a way to win...

I think the part I bolded pretty much sums up the biggest difference. So much of the perceived "gap" between publics and privates is nothing more than privates having a mental edge and instead of focusing on what they do not have, they focus on what they do have and adapt to it. Maybe that's why the parents of those kids have them in private school to begin with.

When Alcoa played McCallie earlier this year, I did not hear one person from Alcoa cry and complain about playing a big private school. Instead, they knew they could play with them, and instead of focusing on any perceived disadvantages, they focused on every advantage and beat them.

Same goes for Fulton/Catholic. When Catholic won round 1 in week 8, I did not hear any Fulton fan yell "private school" and complain. They took their loss and 5 weeks later ended Catholic's season.

I'm convinced 99.9% of the reason MBA, BA, MUS, Lipscomb, Goospasture and other major private schools win so much isn't the talent or the resources, but purely the psychological edge they hold when they walk on the field.

Success breeds success.

I think the part I bolded pretty much sums up the biggest difference. So much of the perceived "gap" between publics and privates is nothing more than privates having a mental edge and instead of focusing on what they do not have, they focus on what they do have and adapt to it. Maybe that's why the parents of those kids have them in private school to begin with.

When Alcoa played McCallie earlier this year, I did not hear one person from Alcoa cry and complain about playing a big private school. Instead, they knew they could play with them, and instead of focusing on any perceived disadvantages, they focused on every advantage and beat them.

Same goes for Fulton/Catholic. When Catholic won round 1 in week 8, I did not hear any Fulton fan yell "private school" and complain. They took their loss and 5 weeks later ended Catholic's season.

I'm convinced 99.9% of the reason MBA, BA, MUS, Lipscomb, Goospasture and other major private schools win so much isn't the talent or the resources, but purely the psychological edge they hold when they walk on the field.

Success breeds success.

I totally disagree, Alcoa and Fulton have a few advantages themselves, its called very good atheletes in winning programs. And if the privates have the mental edge, how did they ever start winning in the first place. The mental edge once belonged to the public schools.

I totally disagree, Alcoa and Fulton have a few advantages themselves, its called very good atheletes in winning programs. And if the privates have the mental edge, how did they ever start winning in the first place. The mental edge once belonged to the public schools.

yes it did...I grew up in a time no-one gave a second thought to privates...I played at Covington where our biggest fear was Haywood County...but times have changed and alot of publics have as well...large metro areas have allowed publics to become scary...parents in those areas have choices...small publics have done a better job at keeping values in the system but have had to face privates from metro areas as a result of things not going on in their local area...if a parent pays the tuition (and they do pay it in spite of often being accused of not) required to keep a kid in a private they are going to demand excellence in all areas...I would love for Jackson to have a public choice that was safe...offered prayer and bible and was FREE...with 4 kids JCS has been a challenge to say the least...but we don't...so I do what I feel best for my family...and I also don't want to suffer anymore than the small rural 1a schools do for things out of my control...

That makes no sense.

Are you telling me Riverdale and Ravenwood don't have athletes? These two 5A powers can't beat Super 7 program right now if their life depended on it. You don't think they have more athletes than the private schools do they play do?

Publics at one time did have a mental edge. Then they started losing and people started crying that it wasn't fair that privates and publics had to play each other. And the split happened........and it's only gotten worse because of the "woe is me" mindset that many publics have that has drifted down into the lower classes.

***Please note - This comes from a guy who was a public school student from K-12 and the son of a public school teacher/principal.

Edited by Solomon

That makes no sense.

Are you telling me Riverdale and Ravenwood don't have athletes? These two 5A powers can't beat Super 7 program right now if their life depended on it. You don't think they have more athletes than the private schools do they play do?

Publics at one time did have a mental edge. Then they started losing and people started crying that it wasn't fair that privates and publics had to play each other. And the split happened........and it's only gotten worse because of the "woe is me" mindset that many publics have that has drifted down into the lower classes.

***Please note - This comes from a guy who was a public school student from K-12 and the son of a public school teacher/principal.

If that were the case, the public schools would lose to all the private schools. Silverdale didn't seem to have a mental edge over public schools , but next season when their 8 transfers get to play ,the mental edge might go up a little. GET REAL

If that were the case, the public schools would lose to all the private schools. Silverdale didn't seem to have a mental edge over public schools , but next season when their 8 transfers get to play ,the mental edge might go up a little. GET REAL

I didn't expect you to understand. I don't know why I even posted it. You are a victim of the "woe is me" attitude if I have ever seen one.

Edited by Solomon

yes it did...I grew up in a time no-one gave a second thought to privates...I played at Covington where our biggest fear was Haywood County...but times have changed and alot of publics have as well...large metro areas have allowed publics to become scary...parents in those areas have choices...small publics have done a better job at keeping values in the system but have had to face privates from metro areas as a result of things not going on in their local area...if a parent pays the tuition (and they do pay it in spite of often being accused of not) required to keep a kid in a private they are going to demand excellence in all areas...I would love for Jackson to have a public choice that was safe...offered prayer and bible and was FREE...with 4 kids JCS has been a challenge to say the least...but we don't...so I do what I feel best for my family...and I also don't want to suffer anymore than the small rural 1a schools do for things out of my control...

Jaxman ,you have your kids exactly where you want them,although it may be expensive ,and you are to be applauded. You have your kids with others just like yours. Public schools don't offer that, you don't want your kids working their butts off with others standing around watching. I don't either, but I have no choice. I just teach my kids to have good morals and to do unto others, and be the Best they can be in all areas. You've got them in the right place. I'll be routing for JC Friday night because of you and you're kids. You seen to have a ton more class than your oppenents,GOOD LUCK.