Why Does UT Not Recruit Locally?

CNFn

In another thread the discussion came up about Wiggins and who is recruiting him?

I doubt UT has even seen him play let alone any of the other locals? I have heard of at least 4 local D1 signees going elsewhere this year alone. One wonders if UT even looked at any of them, let alone any of the others still out there like Wiggins etc. Tubby get's alot of flack for letting Lofton get away to UT and rightly so. As time goes on, UT will get some of the same I am afraid?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee does recruit locally(in-state)....Some other more well known programs get to recruit those guys to....I would love to have seen Brandon Wright,Thaddeus Young,Willie Kemp,Brewer,Humphrey,the Delk twins,Gordon..all those guys in a UT uniform,it just doesn't work out that way sometimes...I think with Pearl you will see more kids that are good enough to play in the SEC getting closer looks....Buzz dropped the ball on those guys mentioned above...That's part of the reason he is gone now....

Tennessee does recruit locally(in-state)....Some other more well known programs get to recruit those guys to....I would love to have seen Brandon Wright,Thaddeus Young,Willie Kemp,Brewer,Humphrey,the Delk twins,Gordon..all those guys in a UT uniform,it just doesn't work out that way sometimes...I think with Pearl you will see more kids that are good enough to play in the SEC getting closer looks....Buzz dropped the ball on those guys mentioned above...That's part of the reason he is gone now....

I'm not a UT fan, but I have to admire the job that Pearl is doing recruiting local talent. He is out there trying to get homegrown talent at UT. I saw him at the Bolivar/BA game last year, and he was there looking at his recruit Chism and still trying to scope out all the other talent on the floor. IMO Pearl is doing a good job at recruiting instate talent.

UT does recruit locally I know plenty of kids this year being recruited by tennessee.. Bruce Pearl does a great job of it to.. I know he has came his self to a couple of the kids schools not only for practice but walked with them to there classes and stuff....

Pearl has done a awesome job at ut but why recruit locally when you could go else where and gettin blue chip athletes :thumb:

In another thread the discussion came up about Wiggins and who is recruiting him?

I doubt UT has even seen him play let alone any of the other locals? I have heard of at least 4 local D1 signees going elsewhere this year alone. One wonders if UT even looked at any of them, let alone any of the others still out there like Wiggins etc. Tubby get's alot of flack for letting Lofton get away to UT and rightly so. As time goes on, UT will get some of the same I am afraid?

Wiggins isn't quite good enough for SEC material. He's a good player and will go somewhere, but not the SEC. He's not strong enough for one. Has a great outside touch but at his size, he needs to be getting to the rim more consistently, especially in high school. If he can't do it at this level, he isn't going to be able to do it at the SEC level.

Pearl has done a awesome job at ut but why recruit locally when you could go else where and gettin blue chip athletes :lol:

Amen.

He's getting the best in state talent that will sign with him, and trying to get the best out of state talent he can get to sign as well, particularly out of the Big Ten area where he's well known by many high school coaches that produce big time talent. You recruit where you know the coaches and they know you.

He's winning and bringing in good players. Wiggins is good and will go play somewhere, probably 1AA or something lesser, but Pearl is going after the 3 and 4 star blue chippers. You can do that when you're running a winning program like he has turned UT into.

UT will recruit in state (ie: Middle and West TN) - but if you mean locally by East TN - the answer is, they want to win.

Getting Chism out of Bolivar was good, and he darn near had Willie Kemp (I wonder if Coach Cal's signing of a new PG has Willie wondering where he should've signed?)

Wiggins looks like a low-to-mid ACC type team or CUSA team kid. He has offers from Miami (FL) and UNC-Charlotte. He has "medium" interest from UF, UT and Vandy -- all per Unapproved Website...

UT will recruit in state (ie: Middle and West TN) - but if you mean locally by East TN - the answer is, they want to win.

Getting Chism out of Bolivar was good, and he darn near had Willie Kemp (I wonder if Coach Cal's signing of a new PG has Willie wondering where he should've signed?)

Wiggins looks like a low-to-mid ACC type team or CUSA team kid. He has offers from Miami (FL) and UNC-Charlotte. He has "medium" interest from UF, UT and Vandy -- all per Unapproved Website...

That's actually Wiggin's interest in those schools, not theirs in him.

Willie is going to do great things at Memphis and I don't blame him for going to U of M,he had a very good reason.....

If Pearl can make inroads in Memphis he could be at UT a very,very long time and win many games....

Not everylocal hero from every little school or big school for that matter is SEC material...

Go get the best and if the best isnt local kids dont recruit them, tennessee is awesome sports college even tho i would say most attention is payed to the football program( GO VOLS ) tennessees basketball program is competing with the very best and it takes the very best to beat the very best along with a great coach like PEARL