Justin Gatlin

I heard today that the Houston Texans gave a tryout/workout to world class sprinter and former UT Vol Justin Gatlin as a wide reciever. Gatlin, who is arguably the fastest human on earth, has not played football since the 10th grade.

Gatlin was the fastest human on Earth when he had a little HELP. He may just have above average speed without it, and unless he can return punts or kickoffs effectively he won't make the cut.

Gatlin was the fastest human on Earth when he had a little HELP. He may just have above average speed without it, and unless he can return punts or kickoffs effectively he won't make the cut.

He set a couple of records at UT too. With or without help, the guy can fly.

I keep thinking Leonard Scott here for all you Vol fans. From point A to Point B the guy could fly. Could not cut to save his life. Or catch for that matter. May be Gatlin's problems too.

And does anyone remember the Miami game in 02 when Sanders called the fade to Scott in the endzone? All I know is that if he was going for the surprise gimmick on that, it worked. I don't think one fan in the stands of either team saw that one coming. (And yes, as always, he dropped it.)

He set a couple of records at UT too. With or without help, the guy can fly.

Sol, I don't know if you remember or even knew Jerry Lewis from Florida. He was Keith Raspberry's roommate in college and he was a best friend to both of us. (heck he still has a key to my house). But, he brought his cousin up here from Florida to Bethel in 2001. His cousin dusted Gatlin in the 100, I saw the tape. Gatlin was second, but he got dusted. I think that kid has had help for a long time. JL's cousin had a nice little stint at Bethel, but you are talking about the NFL. I'm telling you he is not as fast as you think without help.

Plus most sprinters are just opening up at 40 yards, unless he can get past his track and field instincts.Unless the QB has a cannon of an arm, he will do no good for a NFL team. How he runs is a second nature. For the first 40-50 yards he is average.

Sol, I don't know if you remember or even knew Jerry Lewis from Florida. He was Keith Raspberry's roommate in college and he was a best friend to both of us. (heck he still has a key to my house). But, he brought his cousin up here from Florida to Bethel in 2001. His cousin dusted Gatlin in the 100, I saw the tape. Gatlin was second, but he got dusted. I think that kid has had help for a long time. JL's cousin had a nice little stint at Bethel, but you are talking about the NFL. I'm telling you he is not as fast as you think without help.

Plus most sprinters are just opening up at 40 yards, unless he can get past his track and field instincts.Unless the QB has a cannon of an arm, he will do no good for a NFL team. How he runs is a second nature. For the first 40-50 yards he is average.

It gets tried about every ten years. A team brings in a track star and it gets a lot of publicity and nothing ever happens. Does anybody remember Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah? I think that was his name. He had a tremendous vertical leap, very fast, but never did anything in the NFL.

Willie Gault was the closest thing to a track star making it in football.

Was that tape from middle school, cause if he could dust Gatlin now he should be on the Olympic team.

Gatlin was clocked in the 40 running a 3.8-3.9. Yeah sprinters are just opening up at 40 yards.

Was that tape from middle school, cause if he could dust Gatlin now he should be on the Olympic team.

Gatlin was clocked in the 40 running a 3.8-3.9. Yeah sprinters are just opening up at 40 yards.

It was from some meet in high school, and he didn't beat him bad. But, he did beat him. I didn't even know who Justin Gatlin was when I saw the tape because it was 2001 then. The guy said it was him and I believe him, theres no reason not to. I think Gatlin's time in the 100 that day was a 10.4. I know for a fact he was 3rd in a Footlocker track and field meet and he ran a 10.36 in that 1. I looked it up a while back, and if I can find that link I will post it. Lets just say a 10.36 is a long way from his world record of 9.76.

And, I was just going by what I was told about sprinters just opening up. I had no idea, but I was told that by someone that ran track in high school. Don't get so upset man.

Ok, found the link. Its under his highlights from the year 2000, which was his senior year of high school.

http://www.usatf.com/athletes/bios/Gatlin_Justin.asp

Edited by montague1

And I looked and looked for Gatlin's 40 time. It was estimated that he could run it between 3-8-3.9, but there is still no record of what he did run.

Maybe I was told wrong about the sprinters opening up, but I don't think so because the guy would know what he was talking about. I don't know if Gatlin ran a 3.8 in the 40 or not, but I do know that he ran the 60 meters while at UT and he finished second to Leonard Scott with a time of 6.61.

Heres the link to that also

http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-track/sp.../032602aaa.html

Edited by montague1