Privates Better Coaches

ddaddy

It's been a very long time since I've posted anything on CoachT.......I know how hard it is for a rural 1A school to raise money for athletics.....I can assure you, we (Collinwood) don't get tax money for athletics.....All of our booster clubs have to raise money for their programs....Obviously Football is able to raise more money than the others, at least here that is...It takes an awful lot of money to run a football program, whether it is public or private......To all the parents that work so hard, we thank you.....I wish more would participate, but we all know how that is.....I feel so bad for the other programs.....I have a daughter playing softball and it is so difficult for them to raise the money they need.....We had a donor give money this year so we could buy some bleachers.....We are blessed to have a few people that have a little money to share with us and we really appreciate them.....Sorry for ranting on, just wanted to add my 2 cents worth....

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a very long time since I've posted anything on CoachT.......I know how hard it is for a rural 1A school to raise money for athletics.....I can assure you, we (Collinwood) don't get tax money for athletics.....All of our booster clubs have to raise money for their programs....Obviously Football is able to raise more money than the others, at least here that is...It takes an awful lot of money to run a football program, whether it is public or private......To all the parents that work so hard, we thank you.....I wish more would participate, but we all know how that is.....I feel so bad for the other programs.....I have a daughter playing softball and it is so difficult for them to raise the money they need.....We had a donor give money this year so we could buy some bleachers.....We are blessed to have a few people that have a little money to share with us and we really appreciate them.....Sorry for ranting on, just wanted to add my 2 cents worth....

See it is things like this that i really love about coachT. They are rare but when they happen it is a really good thing to see...

Good point, JaxMan.......probably most have some way of raising money, or should.

At Trousdale, the QB club, charges $30.00 for a gold membership....included is parking

at the parking lot beside the field, plus you may get a cap or shirt, or whatever is the

prize that yr. Generally, this goes to maintenance, etc. for the field, fieldhouse.....

There are other fund raisers also for gear or whatever. Basically, scratching for dollars.

It don't come on trees in a small county either.... :blink:

We are constantly scatching at SP too, in all sports. We are lucky to have a number of great parents and boosters who carry the load. Based on my experence the private schools have a larger percentage who help and have a more affuent base from which to raise money from. It still boils down to parent and community support. Those that have a good booster system do better than those that don't.

Not true, MP has a good but very small booster club. I'll take a club with great athletes and coaches over boosters anyday.

You just said MP has a good booster club. MP is successful. I said "Those that have a good booster system do better than those that don't". What about that is not true??? I bet you can not name a successful program that does not have a good booster program. The number of active members in SP's booster club is real small but is successful at raising money for new eqiupment and upgrading facilities. If you have 2 teams with good athletes and coaches and one has great booster support and the other one doesn't which one will be the best program in the long run? I didn't say a good booster club was the only factor in a successful program

You just said MP has a good booster club. MP is successful. I said "Those that have a good booster system do better than those that don't". What about that is not true??? I bet you can not name a successful program that does not have a good booster program. The number of active members in SP's booster club is real small but is successful at raising money for new eqiupment and upgrading facilities. If you have 2 teams with good athletes and coaches and one has great booster support and the other one doesn't which one will be the best program in the long run? I didn't say a good booster club was the only factor in a successful program

I gotcha.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some facts about Alcoa and Maryville.

Alcoa. They have a great football tradition. They could almost be a 1A school. Alcoa is one of the best paying jobs in Tennessee. Alcoa is a great community to raise kids. There are a lot of great athletes in Alcoa. Especially in the Hall and Oldfield area.In matter of fact the Hall and Oldfield communities put out more D1 prospects than the rest of Blount County combined over the years. They do have some tuition students but close to 90% of their team is Alcoa kids. Over the years I have noticed that Alcoa's success comes in cycles. They had a great class in the 2002 graduating class with Michael George that led them to a state title in 2000. Alcoa had 2 more great classes in the 2006 graduating class led by Brandon Warren and the 2007 graduating class led by Rae Sykes. Those 2 classes are why they 3peated. A lot of the other clases in recent years were weak. Alcoa went 3-7 in 2002.Alcoa will slip next year. They will still compete for a 2A title. But! These last 2 seasons Alcoa wasn't just the best 2A team in Tennessee. They were one of the best teams in Tennessee.Alcoa has another great class on the way. Their 8th grade class demolished everyone in their path. It doesn't guarantee they will in high school but it helps to have talent like that coming in. Last season Alcoa was the best team Maryville played in my opinion. Hillsboro and Red Bank were outstanding teams. I think Alcoa was a little better than those teams.

Maryville. Maryville does have tuition students. I heard there were 8 tuition football players from freshmen to senior. But! Maryville also had tuition student in the late 80s and early 90s when they were going 5-5 almost every year. Tuition students help but they aren't the determining factor for Maryville's success. Maryville has been blessed with some good players the last 10 years. Carl Stewart,Nick Black,Chuck Prugh,Cade Thompson,Tyler Maples,Aaron Douglas and Scott Wilks. They also have put a ton of players in smaller colleges. With this being said the main reason that Maryville is winning big right now is coaching. George Quarles and his staff are the best in Tennessee.I had one guy tell me that David Ellis is one of the best offensive line coaches in America. I watched all these other teams over the years in the State Title games. None of them were as disciplined and fundementally sound as Maryville. These aren't just my words. A former Maryville players dad told me and STARS that a bunch of Melrose fans said Maryville was by far the most disciplined team they ever seen. Melrose has played teams like Christian Brothers and Briarcrest over the years. Maryville has a great thing going right now. Great coaches and great players buying into the system those great coaches put in. Those players are dedicated. They get up before school and work out. They get out and pass 2 or 3 times a week on their own. During the summer they show up at the Maryville workout facility at 5:30 in the morning Monday through Friday to work out. 2 or 3 times a week they will have throwing sessions. Quarterbacks,Receivers and Running Backs will show up. Everything is great now but all it would take right now for Maryville to slip is for coaches like George Quarles,Jim Gaylor and David Ellis to leave or quit coaching. Losing any of those 3 guys would be devastating to the Maryville program. Those other Maryville coaches are good also. But! Gaylor,Quarles and Ellis are great,great coaches. Maryville also pays their teaches and coaches well.

Ron that was a good post. It`s amazing how good and dominating those two schools have been. O appreciate your insight on how much dedication it takes to be really successful. I`ve kept up with OHA/USJ since the seventies and the school never was good until Coach Marley got there. Good coaches don`t only know the x`s and o`s, but they also inspire the will to work hard. They are good at recruiting their hallways.

I have no doubt that some of the Melrose teams you guys have played were far more athletic than Maryville, but a good coach knows how to structure his team and really teach the very simple fundamentals of the game.

Ron that was a good post. It`s amazing how good and dominating those two schools have been. O appreciate your insight on how much dedication it takes to be really successful. I`ve kept up with OHA/USJ since the seventies and the school never was good until Coach Marley got there. Good coaches don`t only know the x`s and o`s, but they also inspire the will to work hard. They are good at recruiting their hallways.

I have no doubt that some of the Melrose teams you guys have played were far more athletic than Maryville, but a good coach knows how to structure his team and really teach the very simple fundamentals of the game.

Thanks VG.

Talent helps but coaching is the most important thing to high school football. I can't help but notice how much Cleveland has slipped. When Benny Monroe was there they were great. Same thing with Ken Colquette of Marion County. Since he left Marion hasn't been the same. Alcoa will become a better program with Gary Rankin. How great would Melrose be with Maryville's coaching? They have had a lot of turnover in their coaching staff and they still win big.