Privates recruiting

oldfathertime

thanks again...would you like to join me by extending a wing yourself and to help educate old24eagle? B)

I don`t know about you but it just pretty much infuriates me when I see people like him make statements like he does. BUT, for some reason I have pity on him. I think he is a really good person that is willing to listen and learn some truths.

I don't need your pity or any education from you or your private school buddies. Your right however I do listen and I know the word RECRUIT fires you up! I know D1 privates don't "recruit " at least not as much as Phillip Fulmer. Like I said in my last post they have they fascilities and resources that small 1A publics don't to DRAW the better ballplayers to them. I am not saying their breaking any rules or that they shouldn't try to have nice things , all along I have been trying to say that MOST small rural schools can't compete with that no matter how hard they work. NOT ALL PUBLICS GET MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR SPORTS! Now I am willing to listen to your truths about privates are you willing to believe that?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your daughter 6'3 " with a nice jumpshot? How can you say I'm off base with my opinion of what goes on at private schools when you guys have all called me silly when I tell you that not all publics get this TAX money you guys whine about. Look here I have admited that I don't know the inner workings of private schools I just go back at yall cause you refuse to believe the ENORMOUS disadvantages small 1A publics (not marryvile , alcoa and fulton) when they go against privates. Be Honest and tell me where I am wrong with the following and I promise I will take your word.

1-Publics don't get to have a "waiting list " to decide how many and who attends their school.

2- Public schools in small rural areas DO NOT have the money or resources available to them that privates do.

3- Going along with #2 hypothetically (correct my spelling there to if you wish) you have a son who is a gifted athlete, and the money to send him to any Highschool in your general area he chooses, 10 minutes from your is a public school which plays 1A ball and went 6-4 with a first round exit from the playoffs , they play on a shoddy at best playing surface with no practice field a tiny workout area in the back of the fieldhouse without enough weights for him to even max out his sqauts , the three coaches at the school are fine men but are stressed for time and wouldn't be able to work much if any individually with your son. Academically this school is slightly above the state average. Now 20 minutes the other way is the private school which also plays 1A ball in the same region that went 8-2 and made it to the second round (not significantly better than teh public) This school has a plush bermuda field and their practice field is in better shape than the publics game field

They have super nice workout fascilities and 12 men on the coaching staff all dedicated to develop individual 's into great ballplayers (because they have time to) Academically this school is only slightly better than the public. Neither school has recruited your son , Which program is most likely to DRAW you and your son to them.

If you say none of that matters or that the public should work harder I need to take you under my wing and show you how the rest of the world lives, cause your missing out on a heckuva lot of fun stuff.

Ahhh my winged friend thanks for allowing me the opportunity to enlighten you.

1-Publics don't get to have a "waiting list " to decide how many and who attends their school.[/qoute]

Like I said...my daughter attends Madison which is a public school and they definitely have a waiting list to get in. It is also a 1A size school. Also here we have Liberty high school which is only in its fourth year of existence and happened to win a state basketball crown last year...and yes I`m happy to inform you that they too have a waiting list to get in. Did I mention that Liberty will be a 4A school in terms of football?

2- Public schools in small rural areas DO NOT have the money or resources available to them that privates do.

We have already proven that money is an invalid point. There are money differences (and big ones I might add) in all classes. You have inner city schools competing against school in very affluent suburbs in all classes. I`m sorry but that dog just doesn`t hunt. My son played baseball for a school that worked it`s ever loving butt off to raise 20,000 dollars to find out that Germantown raised over 70,000. Excuse me while I ignore your little complaint.

As to your point #3...I want to say I love hypothetical questions. I`ll respond with a hypothetical answer. You live in Medina TN and you are zoned to Gibson County high school. Gibson County has not won a game in 3 years yet 15 minutes away is Milan which has a storied football history along with a few gold balls and also 15 minutes away is USJ which has also had some success in the past but it will cost you 6,000 dollars to go there.

Now what would you choose a free public school or fork over all that money?

hmmm..makes you think doesn`t it? (well at least it should)

I heard he was playing football @ Gp. Is he still playing soccer?

Yes, he was on the team. As a sophomore, he doens't get a lot of play time, but in some of the games which were put away early, he was playing on the kick off and return teams, and playing safety.

he's still playing soccer. He played in fall league here with some of the boys from GP. I think they are rebuilding, or maybe maintaining in soccer. Won't have near the team that Madison had last year. I think he'll do well on the team, and be a welcome addition, but only time will tell.

Can you give me a hint who you are.

Is your daughter 6'3 " with a nice jumpshot? How can you say I'm off base with my opinion of what goes on at private schools when you guys have all called me silly when I tell you that not all publics get this TAX money you guys whine about. Look here I have admited that I don't know the inner workings of private schools I just go back at yall cause you refuse to believe the ENORMOUS disadvantages small 1A publics (not marryvile , alcoa and fulton) when they go against privates. Be Honest and tell me where I am wrong with the following and I promise I will take your word.

1-Publics don't get to have a "waiting list " to decide how many and who attends their school.

3- Going along with #2 hypothetically (correct my spelling there to if you wish) you have a son who is a gifted athlete, and the money to send him to any Highschool in your general area he chooses, 10 minutes from your is a public school which plays 1A ball and went 6-4 with a first round exit from the playoffs , they play on a shoddy at best playing surface with no practice field a tiny workout area in the back of the fieldhouse without enough weights for him to even max out his sqauts , the three coaches at the school are fine men but are stressed for time and wouldn't be able to work much if any individually with your son. Academically this school is slightly above the state average. Now 20 minutes the other way is the private school which also plays 1A ball in the same region that went 8-2 and made it to the second round (not significantly better than teh public) This school has a plush bermuda field and their practice field is in better shape than the publics game field

They have super nice workout fascilities and 12 men on the coaching staff all dedicated to develop individual 's into great ballplayers (because they have time to) Academically this school is only slightly better than the public. Neither school has recruited your son , Which program is most likely to DRAW you and your son to them.

If you say none of that matters or that the public should work harder I need to take you under my wing and show you how the rest of the world lives, cause your missing out on a heckuva lot of fun stuff.

VG, I’m going to jump in on this one.

1. Publics can have a waiting list, and do. Both Madison and Liberty have waiting lists to get in. Madison doesn’t have a gymnasium, doesn’t have a football field, and doesn’t have a soccer field. The Madison BB teams have to wait till 3:30, till the neighboring elementary school gets out, till they can practice, while other schools are practicing in their last hour. Yet, the girls from Madison went to the state semifinals last year in the Boro. The boys soccer team made it two deep into the combined A/AA playoffs before being robbed against Dyersburg. (probably another post). You made the comment “You and your private school buddies” - yet haven’t figured out the VG is a public school parent, and I had been one for the past 12 years, till a recent move to Nashville. The fallacy of your argument is that you believe kids go to private schools just for the athletics, which just isn’t the case. JCS isn’t successful in Jackson because of its football program. Its successful because it offers HIGH quality academics in a religious setting. If parents put their children into a private for those reasons, and the football program can succeed using geeky, bright, religious, spoiled, rich kids, (sorry JSC fans - only trying to make a point) is it fair to condemn all privates. This year’s championship in their “first” championship in any sport. Doesn’t sound like a dynasty – and they have to move to 2A because of the multiplier.

2. Money, equipment, facilities ARE a problem for small 1A schools. Its not just the rural schools that have money problems. All small schools do, and some large ones.

3. Your fallacy is again that you suppose everyone chooses schools based on football and athletics. They don’t. I just moved to Nashville, and chose to send our son to Goodpasture for a variety of reasons. I still have a house that hasn’t sold in Jackson, and can’t afford to buy one in Nashville until the one in Jackson sells. We tried to get into Wilson County schools, but couldn’t find ANYPLACE to rent. Had heard some rather ugly things about McGavock (sorry McGavock fans) but were in a terrible fix to find someplace to rent that wouldn’t tie us to school without knowing anything about it. So we chose Goodpasture. Yes, we did ask if they had a football team, though it was pretty obvious since we saw the field. But athletics is second on the list. Sure athletics is important, but how many kids are going to make it to the NFL. VERY few, and probably not my son. Its not whether or not our choice will compete for the gold ball every year, but that our son simply has the opportunity to participate in athletics. We didn’t even know that Goodpasture had played in the finals last year.

But do you take out private schools because of facilities? If you do, then lets be sure to take out any public school that has nice facilities, or is successful, or happens to be successful in fundraising and has some money to spend. Because if you don’t, then your argument simply doesn’t hold water.

Yes, he was on the team. As a sophomore, he doens't get a lot of play time, but in some of the games which were put away early, he was playing on the kick off and return teams, and playing safety.

he's still playing soccer. He played in fall league here with some of the boys from GP. I think they are rebuilding, or maybe maintaining in soccer. Won't have near the team that Madison had last year. I think he'll do well on the team, and be a welcome addition, but only time will tell.

Can you give me a hint who you are.

Our son's played some church league basketball.

VG, I’m going to jump in on this one.

1. Publics can have a waiting list, and do. Both Madison and Liberty have waiting lists to get in. Madison doesn’t have a gymnasium, doesn’t have a football field, and doesn’t have a soccer field. The Madison BB teams have to wait till 3:30, till the neighboring elementary school gets out, till they can practice, while other schools are practicing in their last hour. Yet, the girls from Madison went to the state semifinals last year in the Boro. The boys soccer team made it two deep into the combined A/AA playoffs before being robbed against Dyersburg. (probably another post). You made the comment “You and your private school buddies” - yet haven’t figured out the VG is a public school parent, and I had been one for the past 12 years, till a recent move to Nashville. The fallacy of your argument is that you believe kids go to private schools just for the athletics, which just isn’t the case. JCS isn’t successful in Jackson because of its football program. Its successful because it offers HIGH quality academics in a religious setting. If parents put their children into a private for those reasons, and the football program can succeed using geeky, bright, religious, spoiled, rich kids, (sorry JSC fans - only trying to make a point) is it fair to condemn all privates. This year’s championship in their “first” championship in any sport. Doesn’t sound like a dynasty – and they have to move to 2A because of the multiplier.

2. Money, equipment, facilities ARE a problem for small 1A schools. Its not just the rural schools that have money problems. All small schools do, and some large ones.

3. Your fallacy is again that you suppose everyone chooses schools based on football and athletics. They don’t. I just moved to Nashville, and chose to send our son to Goodpasture for a variety of reasons. I still have a house that hasn’t sold in Jackson, and can’t afford to buy one in Nashville until the one in Jackson sells. We tried to get into Wilson County schools, but couldn’t find ANYPLACE to rent. Had heard some rather ugly things about McGavock (sorry McGavock fans) but were in a terrible fix to find someplace to rent that wouldn’t tie us to school without knowing anything about it. So we chose Goodpasture. Yes, we did ask if they had a football team, though it was pretty obvious since we saw the field. But athletics is second on the list. Sure athletics is important, but how many kids are going to make it to the NFL. VERY few, and probably not my son. Its not whether or not our choice will compete for the gold ball every year, but that our son simply has the opportunity to participate in athletics. We didn’t even know that Goodpasture had played in the finals last year.

But do you take out private schools because of facilities? If you do, then lets be sure to take out any public school that has nice facilities, or is successful, or happens to be successful in fundraising and has some money to spend. Because if you don’t, then your argument simply doesn’t hold water.

Both madison and Liberty are Magnet schools correct? Which are quite a bit different than regular public schools. No public schools can not turn away or place a kid on a waiting list if they live in that schools zoned area. If they want to drive out of their normal school area to attend I believe they can be turned away.

Hey V.G. if your kids go to Madison and if it's a Magnet school which I'm pretty sure it is, your not involved with public or private school, nor are you involved with a school that even has a football program. Just like my opinion means beans to you yours means the same to me there big guy. You also proved my point by not answering my last question but, by countering me with the same question knowing it would be stupid to choose the public and the only way I would would be if I couldn't dish out 6,000$ DUUUUHHHH thats exactly why small 1A publics can't hang with privates. As far as your Trousdale county question on the other thread goes any school that plays 3A ball for years and all of a sudden drops 2 classes to 1a should win, and if you think thats extreme rural and out in the country if you came to a small town in East Tn. you would get scared and go Home.

The ads may be directed at tuba players, right?

I know you are being facetious, but actually yes. Many of the private schools (including BA, MBA, Harpeth Hall, FRA and Lipscomb) place ads in all the programs for performing arts at TPAC, the symphony, etc.

Edited by itzme

Hey V.G. if your kids go to Madison and if it's a Magnet school which I'm pretty sure it is, your not involved with public or private school, nor are you involved with a school that even has a football program.

Madison is a public school. Madison is governed by the Jackson School Board and the Jackson Madison County School System. Its’ a public - guaranteed. And as small 1A school, Madison has many of the same financial problems as you're describing with other small publics.

But let me go back to the money for a minute. What do you think that a private school does with the tuition money it receives? If tuition is $5,000, I guess the football program and soccer program and all the athletic programs get that money. Right? Or maybe, just maybe, it goes to teacher salaries, and utility bills, and food costs, and administrative costs. Costs that at a public school is paid by ……… you guessed it – taxes. Private schools have the same kind of fundraisers, sponsorship of banners, etc. for one reason. They aren’t swimming in cash as you want to imply.

Madison is a public school. Madison is governed by the Jackson School Board and the Jackson Madison County School System. Its’ a public - guaranteed. And as small 1A school, Madison has many of the same financial problems as you're describing with other small publics.

But let me go back to the money for a minute. What do you think that a private school does with the tuition money it receives? If tuition is $5,000, I guess the football program and soccer program and all the athletic programs get that money. Right? Or maybe, just maybe, it goes to teacher salaries, and utility bills, and food costs, and administrative costs. Costs that at a public school is paid by ……… you guessed it – taxes. Private schools have the same kind of fundraisers, sponsorship of banners, etc. for one reason. They aren’t swimming in cash as you want to imply.

Seriously answer me a question. Is madison a magnet school? Honestly I am not arguing here I think it is but I really don't know.

Now lets see her 5,000 x 200 (a small private) = 1,000,000$ That ought to run a school that size for a year. You mentioned food costs how many private school kids get free lunch? I believe the kids parents at privates pay for that. If private schools didn't have those kids who's Daddy makes more money than Tiger woods giving thousands and thousands to athletics you may be in the same boat as small publics . Once every 10 years or so we have a kid who's daddy is the second shift plant manager that can donate 1,000$ and we feel like we hit the lottery. I shouldn't have even said lottery now your gonna throw that at me , just so you know I've won more money off of a 2$ scratch off than we have ever gotten from it for school's.

Both madison and Liberty are Magnet schools correct? Which are quite a bit different than regular public schools. No public schools can not turn away or place a kid on a waiting list if they live in that schools zoned area. If they want to drive out of their normal school area to attend I believe they can be turned away.

Hey V.G. if your kids go to Madison and if it's a Magnet school which I'm pretty sure it is, your not involved with public or private school, nor are you involved with a school that even has a football program. Just like my opinion means beans to you yours means the same to me there big guy. You also proved my point by not answering my last question but, by countering me with the same question knowing it would be stupid to choose the public and the only way I would would be if I couldn't dish out 6,000$ DUUUUHHHH thats exactly why small 1A publics can't hang with privates. As far as your Trousdale county question on the other thread goes any school that plays 3A ball for years and all of a sudden drops 2 classes to 1a should win, and if you think thats extreme rural and out in the country if you came to a small town in East Tn. you would get scared and go Home.

Why do you continue to say Madison is not a public school? It is a public school and it does have a waitng list to get in. The same goes for Liberty.

I don`t know what school you support, but Trousdale has been dominating 1A for years...even before they moved to 3A. The fact that they moved back down has nothing to do with how good they are. Trousdale happens to compete and beat the private schools. You should stop worrying about the private schools and put your efforts towards getting your program more in line of schools like Trousdale.

And no...the answer was not going to a private school, the answer was going to Milan. If you wanted your son to be on a successful football team the logical answer would be to save your money and let him go to Milan.

Seriously answer me a question. Is madison a magnet school? Honestly I am not arguing here I think it is but I really don't know.

Now lets see her 5,000 x 200 (a small private) = 1,000,000$ That ought to run a school that size for a year. You mentioned food costs how many private school kids get free lunch? I believe the kids parents at privates pay for that. If private schools didn't have those kids who's Daddy makes more money than Tiger woods giving thousands and thousands to athletics you may be in the same boat as small publics . Once every 10 years or so we have a kid who's daddy is the second shift plant manager that can donate 1,000$ and we feel like we hit the lottery. I shouldn't have even said lottery now your gonna throw that at me , just so you know I've won more money off of a 2$ scratch off than we have ever gotten from it for school's.

do you think 1,000,000 will run a public 1a school? Not hardly.

Why do you continue to say Madison is not a public school? It is a public school and it does have a waitng list to get in. The same goes for Liberty.

I don`t know what school you support, but Trousdale has been dominating 1A for years...even before they moved to 3A. The fact that they moved back down has nothing to do with how good they are. Trousdale happens to compete and beat the private schools. You should stop worrying about the private schools and put your efforts towards getting your program more in line of schools like Trousdale.

And no...the answer was not going to a private school, the answer was going to Milan. If you wanted your son to be on a successful football team the logical answer would be to save your money and let him go to Milan.

Why won't anyone answer my question about Madison being a magnet school? Cause their different ya know. Is it or not?