Union City-Humboldt-Lake County

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UC 70 Poplar Bluff 55.Tryn 2 see who won the other games and if we play Vashon 2morrow.

Doesn't appear that UC had much competition against Poplar Bluff. They have only won one game and they did shoot their average which was and is a little over 50. Seems like Lake County is having their way also so far anyway. Go Falcons!

I'm not sure what Poplar Bluff has in mind for UC...UC beat them last year in this same tourney...I think there were a couple of techs called both ways if I remember...But last I heard,they were not all that good...They placed themselves in the same bracket with UC,Vashon and Tulsa Science...Kind of fishy..

Maybe they were thinking like I was that UC would have to be down this year after losing those seniors off of a state championship team. If thats the case we were both wrong...Bad wrong.

Doesn't appear that UC had much competition against Poplar Bluff. They have only won one game and they did shoot their average which was and is a little over 50. Seems like Lake County is having their way also so far anyway. Go Falcons!

Poplar Bluff was 3-4 entering last night's game...They were ranked #20 in a poll in SE Missouri by a website that covers sports in that area,for whatever that's worth..They have won 2 of the last 3 5A state championships in Missouri...Vashon,who UC plays tonite,won it last year...Tyler Hansbrough played there and also his brother Ben,who is now a freshman at Miss.State...They were 21-5 last year..And this tournament in being played in their gym.....St.Louis Vashon will be the strongest team UC will face this year,by far....I guess they were able to overcome any eligibility issues they had at the start of the season....The former coach at the school left after 33 years at the school....Some former and present players were thought to have transferred to Vashon without any proof of a change of residency.......Anyway,they are the favorites to repeat as 5A champions in Missouri and have been a nationally ranked program recently....

St.Louis Vashon-107

Union City-75

Although Union City did suffer a big loss to Vashon,you have to keep the loss in perspective....Vashon is the defending 5A state champion in Missouri,they have won 5 of the last nine state titles in that division...They have been a nationally ranked program recently also....Vashon is led by Leon Powell who is 6'8" and averages 21.7ppg 9.6rpg and 3 blocked shots per game....They also have another kid 6'8" and one 6'6"...Union City's tallest player that plays much is 6'0"..They have losses this season to Alton,Ill.(who I think Liberty beat in a tourney earlier) and Memphis White Station..They do have some lopsided wins this year..75-28 over Byhalia,Ms.80-28 over Metro and 61-32 over Roosevelt.....Vashon has won this tournament in Poplar Bluff 5 times since 1996 including last year..So,although alot of folks will be happy that UC lost big,it may not be the best thing for teams that have to play UC later on in the year....Sometimes teams that are beating their opponents like Union City has been doing this year needs a humbling loss to get their attention back...Union City will bounce back....These games they have played the last two weeks are a great experience and will help them later on down the road....The Tornadoes play another big school tonite...4A Warren Central,Ky..

St.Louis Vashon-107

Union City-75

Although Union City did suffer a big loss to Vashon,you have to keep the loss in perspective....Vashon is the defending 5A state champion in Missouri,they have won 5 of the last nine state titles in that division...They have been a nationally ranked program recently also....Vashon is led by Leon Powell who is 6'8" and averages 21.7ppg 9.6rpg and 3 blocked shots per game....They also have another kid 6'8" and one 6'6"...Union City's tallest player that plays much is 6'0"..They have losses this season to Alton,Ill.(who I think Liberty beat in a tourney earlier) and Memphis White Station..They do have some lopsided wins this year..75-28 over Byhalia,Ms.80-28 over Metro and 61-32 over Roosevelt.....Vashon has won this tournament in Poplar Bluff 5 times since 1996 including last year..So,although alot of folks will be happy that UC lost big,it may not be the best thing for teams that have to play UC later on in the year....Sometimes teams that are beating their opponents like Union City has been doing this year needs a humbling loss to get their attention back...Union City will bounce back....These games they have played the last two weeks are a great experience and will help them later on down the road....The Tornadoes play another big school tonite...4A Warren Central,Ky..

Games like that are the kind that make a team better. Especially when you play teams that are not the caliber of Vashon. Certainly losing a game in the regular season doesn't hurt you as long as you can learn from it. Only losses in the postseason when the loser goes home until next year hurt. In my opinion, this loss only makes UC more dangerous. From what I have found Warren Central has lost their last 3 games by fairly close margins. All 3 losses have come to teams with good records. One was to Louisville Ballard. I believe I have been hearing about them and Louisville Male for years. Good luck to UC in their next game. REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warren Central,Ky.-90

Union City-66

What Vashon is too physically imposing,Warren Central is veteran and very well coached....Sometimes you just got to admit you are over your head...Union City was over their head the last two games.....I was impressed with the teams I saw today...The seventh place had two teams that are better than any I have seen this year including Brentwood Acd...That game featured Meridian,Ms and Tulsa McClain Science and Technology...Meridian won handily...The second game featured Harrison out of Kennesaw,Ga....Harrison beat the host school easily.....Warren Central doesn't have a team loaded with 6'7''s and 6'8"'s but what they have is a very quick team and experienced team..They have been to five straight Sweet Sixteens at Rupp Arena..They won it all in 2004 and were runner-ups in 2005.They have a kid named Nick Britt that is getting some college looks and they have a 6'4" guard named Jeremy Anderson that could stroke it from long range..They were not rattled by the UC press at all...UC missed numerous open shots inside..The game turned in the first quarter when the game was tied at 11..UC started missing lay-ups and Warren Central started hitting threes...The score at the end of one was 25-13 and really it was pretty much over...The championship game was a match-up of monster teams...Forrest City,Ark was beating Vashon 29-22 in the third quarter when we left...

Union City comes home with a 14-3 record with Greenfield and South Fulton coming up.....