Union City-Humboldt-Lake County

Warren Central,Ky.-90

Union City-66

What Vashon is too physically imposing,Warren Central is veteran and very well coached....Sometimes you just got to admit you are over your head...Union City was over their head the last two games.....I was impressed with the teams I saw today...The seventh place had two teams that are better than any I have seen this year including Brentwood Acd...That game featured Meridian,Ms and Tulsa McClain Science and Technology...Meridian won handily...The second game featured Harrison out of Kennesaw,Ga....Harrison beat the host school easily.....Warren Central doesn't have a team loaded with 6'7''s and 6'8"'s but what they have is a very quick team and experienced team..They have been to five straight Sweet Sixteens at Rupp Arena..They won it all in 2004 and were runner-ups in 2005.They have a kid named Nick Britt that is getting some college looks and they have a 6'4" guard named Jeremy Anderson that could stroke it from long range..They were not rattled by the UC press at all...UC missed numerous open shots inside..The game turned in the first quarter when the game was tied at 11..UC started missing lay-ups and Warren Central started hitting threes...The score at the end of one was 25-13 and really it was pretty much over...The championship game was a match-up of monster teams...Forrest City,Ark was beating Vashon 29-22 in the third quarter when we left...

Union City comes home with a 14-3 record with Greenfield and South Fulton coming up.....

Those teams are not all that.I will go as far to say that Brentwood could have won that tournament.They are good teams and Harrison,Poplar Bluff,Tulsa,and Meridian are not better than Brentwood.Memphis Central lost by only a few points to Vashon,now who has Memphis Central in their top 20 in Tenn.I could name 10 teams who could have won that tournament in Tenn.So dont go say that those teams were that good.I guess u didnt see the Tulsa and Polpar Bluff game.Two of the worst teams i have seen play this year.Vashon and Warren are good but not 30 points better.Not saying we would beat them,but a closer game if you switch defenses.U get more out of a close lost as u do a 30 point blowout.The last 2 games did nothing for UC.So this is over and we go into the new year and try and win another State Championship,now im with u on that Back in the OC.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those teams are not all that.I will go as far to say that Brentwood could have won that tournament.They are good teams and Harrison,Poplar Bluff,Tulsa,and Meridian are not better than Brentwood.Memphis Central lost by only a few points to Vashon,now who has Memphis Central in their top 20 in Tenn.I could name 10 teams who could have won that tournament in Tenn.So dont go say that those teams were that good.I guess u didnt see the Tulsa and Polpar Bluff game.Two of the worst teams i have seen play this year.Vashon and Warren are good but not 30 points better.Not saying we would beat them,but a closer game if you switch defenses.U get more out of a close lost as u do a 30 point blowout.The last 2 games did nothing for UC.So this is over and we go into the new year and try and win another State Championship,now im with u on that Back in the OC.

UC is 1A..They found out they were 1A in this tourney....The thing about Brentwood was we didn't see a complete Brentwood team in the tourney at Lipscomb..They had two guys out..The team we saw in Nashville would not have won the Poplar Bluff tourney...Maybe if the guys for BA were playing in the UC game and the rest of the tourney,I would have a different opinion....UC is very small,they cannot compete night in night out against teams with the size we have seen the last two weeks and have to expend the energy they had to after the game with Poplar Bluff ....Playing that size will help down the road against Humboldt and Lake County though...Saying UC got nothing out of those last two games is silly......Around here they can get away with it...They don't normally play two good teams in a row and for sure not two nights in a row...UC is a very good 1A team..I still think the best in 1A, which is all they need to be...I know 30 point blowouts are not normal around Union City and I agree with you they might could have played Vashon closer and probably shouldn't have gotten beat by 24 against Warren Central..But,there is not another 1A team UC will play all the rest of the year as good as Vashon and Warren Central...Watch the web and see how these two teams do in their respective states..Both will go to their state tournaments...Like you say the preliminaries are over now and the real business is at hand....I wouldn't want to be Greenfield or South Fulton this coming week,that's for sure....UC is a very good team,but UC will not win these tournaments they get into against the competition they play until some folks spawn some big kids around here... By the way,I saw all 8 teams play....UC could have beaten two of them....They did beat Poplar Bluff,who was the weakest team there, and the team from Tulsa,that's it...My opinion..

Also,no reason to question the coaching...All year everybody has talked about UC's desicive edge in coaching..Four state championships prove that..Sisco did what he thought was the best thing to give his team the best chance at victory...Like I said,sometimes you just have to admit you are over your head and move forward....

UC is 1A..They found out they were 1A in this tourney....The thing about Brentwood was we didn't see a complete Brentwood team in the tourney at Lipscomb..They had two guys out..The team we saw in Nashville would not have won the Poplar Bluff tourney...Maybe if the guys for BA were playing in the UC game and the rest of the tourney,I would have a different opinion....UC is very small,they cannot compete night in night out against teams with the size we have seen the last two weeks and have to expend the energy they had to after the game with Poplar Bluff ....Playing that size will help down the road against Humboldt and Lake County though...Saying UC got nothing out of those last two games is silly......Around here they can get away with it...They don't normally play two good teams in a row and for sure not two nights in a row...UC is a very good 1A team..I still think the best in 1A, which is all they need to be...I know 30 point blowouts are not normal around Union City and I agree with you they might could have played Vashon closer and probably shouldn't have gotten beat by 24 against Warren Central..But,there is not another 1A team UC will play all the rest of the year as good as Vashon and Warren Central...Watch the web and see how these two teams do in their respective states..Both will go to their state tournaments...Like you say the preliminaries are over now and the real business is at hand....I wouldn't want to be Greenfield or South Fulton this coming week,that's for sure....UC is a very good team,but UC will not win these tournaments they get into against the competition they play until some folks spawn some big kids around here... By the way,I saw all 8 teams play....UC could have beaten two of them....They did beat Poplar Bluff,who was the weakest team there, and the team from Tulsa,that's it...My opinion..

Also,no reason to question the coaching...All year everybody has talked about UC's desicive edge in coaching..Four state championships prove that..Sisco did what he thought was the best thing to give his team the best chance at victory...Like I said,sometimes you just have to admit you are over your head and move forward....

You dont go into a game with one plan.Around here,like you said,you can.In a tournament like that,you cant.You have to switch defenses and that they didnt.You always go into a game with a plan a,plan b,plan c.If one thing is not working and you go to another and keep switching defenses to let them see other things.Not taking anything away from Sisco,he just didnt let them see anything different.You dont stay in one thing and continue to get beat time after time after time.You change up things and he is going to have to change up things later on in the tournament.But its over and we move along and continue to improve as we start approaching the tournaments.C u at the games.

Lake County at Humboldt on Friday night.....Thoughts on this huge district match-up??

I think maybe the inside play will cancel each other out..The guard play goes to Lake County,the coaching edge goes to Lake County...The intangible is where the game is at..It's in Humboldt,so that edge is in favor of Humboldt..That is worth a few points...I'm not sure what to think of the big loss Humboldt suffered to an obviously weaker Gibson County team....Lake County has been playing during the holiday season so they won't be rusty at all,where Humboldt might be....Lake County beat Humboldt three times last year,that has to be a motivational factor for the Vikings or it could be in the Vikings heads they can't beat Lake County....I'm going to go with Lake County in a real close game......

What are some thoughts on the region opposite of UC,LC and Humboldt....Middleton was there last year as was Middle College.....Middleton is struggling somewhat and Middle College has fallen off the map....Heard big talk from Adamsville and they have floundered to right at .500 ball.....Looks to me the area teams may need to pay attention to Manassas and Westside out of Memphis this season as possible sub-state opponents...

I look for LC over Humbolt by more than a few. I don't seem real impressed by humbolt this year from the articles I read. Which is a bit of a bummer. I like humbolt.

I don't think the arena of battle will be that much of a factor.

LC played a tough tournament as well. And from what I read some of the guys are really getting on the ball. While LC offence still centers around Geanes, the bench is getting deeper. Freshmen Patrick Robertson scored well in the tourney. I look forward to that game.

I look for LC over Humbolt by more than a few. I don't seem real impressed by humbolt this year from the articles I read. Which is a bit of a bummer. I like humbolt.

I don't think the arena of battle will be that much of a factor.

LC played a tough tournament as well. And from what I read some of the guys are really getting on the ball. While LC offence still centers around Geanes, the bench is getting deeper. Freshmen Patrick Robertson scored well in the tourney. I look forward to that game.

You can never discount where a game is played,especially in high school.....I've seen Humboldt,they have all the talent in the world.....I'm still confused with the outcome of the Humboldt-GC game though....

Edited by backinthaoc

You can never discount where a game is played,especially in high school.....I've seen Humboldt,they have all the talent in the world.....I'm still confused with the outcome of the Humboldt-GC game though....

GC's zone defense...Butch Hopkins has done well with it every team he has coached or helped at...GC just caught Humboldt on a bad night and like i said GC can actually shoot the ball...they only missed like 4 or 5 three pointers that whole night...just look what they did to trenton the next day DEMOLISHED them 97-60

What are some thoughts on the region opposite of UC,LC and Humboldt....Middleton was there last year as was Middle College.....Middleton is struggling somewhat and Middle College has fallen off the map....Heard big talk from Adamsville and they have floundered to right at .500 ball.....Looks to me the area teams may need to pay attention to Manassas and Westside out of Memphis this season as possible sub-state opponents...

I have been surprised that Middleton seems to be struggling this year. I have noticed that they have been playing several schools in a larger classification than 1A. I tend to believe that in basketball that only makes you better in the long run.

Middleton has a long history of success in basketball and if they still have the same head coach they have had over the years then I wouldn't dare count them out. Their fans sure are quiet this year so they evidently don't think they are very good. They sure weren't shy last year. If I am not mistaken don't they usually play their district and region tournament at Middleton. If that is the case I can't imagine why those other coaches would allow that to continue. That is a difficult place to play. When they crank up that pep band you can't hear yourself think. That gym is fairly new looking but small with a capital S. I would definitely NOT want to play them in the Substate in that matchbox. As far as paying attention goes I would suggest that LC pay close attention to the teams in District 14A. Of course I would suggest and definitely encourage UC and Humboldt and others in D14A to watch as much film as possible on those Memphis area teams. I have family in Memphis so any help that I could provide to keep ya'll paying close attention to Manassas and Westside will be gladly given. I aims to please in that area.

I take LC by 8 in this one.I talked to a Humboldt player and they are ready for this one.Ill be there to witness this one.I watched Middleton at the Martin tournament.They finished 2nd and was blown out by Franklin.They beat Hickman Co,Tn in a close game,and beat Fulton Co,Ky by about 5.They had Middleton down by 9 going into the 4th.Also Adamsville finished 7th in the tournament.They were blown out by Franklin,beaten by Fulton City Ky,and they beat Cumberland Co.I look for a good 2nd half of the season,and i am predicting UC and Lake Co to make it 2 state.