Union City-Humboldt-Lake County

Well I be @#^T&&%. Union City doesn't have just one player . We have 5 and almost six player averaging in double figures. HOW MANY HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS HAS THAT AND THIS IS A SINGLE A TEAM. Come on, I know everyone hates Union City but give respect like some other fans are on this post that are fans of other teams.

UCDIDITAGAIN:

come on man, don't play that everyone hates us junk. UC has gotten serious props from everyone on here (ok maybe 007 doesn't). And you keep restating the same thing. Yes we KNOW UC is a threat for many aspects.

BUT...

LC playes UC with a bit of an advantage to Humbolt in that we have a little more to prepare with seeing as the game is a couple weeks in and we can see how earlier games went.

LC will not come into this game blind. Yes, UC may come out on top, but your arrogance will be the downfall. In 20 years it has happened a lot. Don't let your players get arrogant.

Also remember that it is trademark LC to play to the competition. Good or Bad.

We never win games by more than 15 or 20. Doesn't matter if it is Dresden or the middle school. So all the score comparing is meaningless in regaurd to LC.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I be @#^T&&%. Union City doesn't have just one player . We have 5 and almost six player averaging in double figures. HOW MANY HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS HAS THAT AND THIS IS A SINGLE A TEAM. Come on, I know everyone hates Union City but give respect like some other fans are on this post that are fans of other teams.

UCDIDITAGAIN:

come on man, don't play that everyone hates us junk. UC has gotten serious props from everyone on here (ok maybe 007 doesn't). And you keep restating the same thing. Yes we KNOW UC is a threat for many aspects.

BUT...

LC playes UC with a bit of an advantage to Humbolt in that we have a little more to prepare with seeing as the game is a couple weeks in and we can see how earlier games went.

LC will not come into this game blind. Yes, UC may come out on top, but your arrogance will be the downfall. In 20 years it has happened a lot. Don't let your players get arrogant.

We never win games by more than 15 or 20. Doesn't matter if it is Dresden or the middle school. So all the score comparing is meaningless in regaurd to LC.

Whitby doesn't run it up on folks. He just doesn't. If he's playing a team he knows he can beat by 50+, he plays everybody. And I don't mean that he plays the starters most of the first half, builds a big lead and then empties the bench. He goes 10-11 deep all night, sometimes platooning every four minutes, even starting people that ordinarily would never start a game. I don't really understand it...personally, I think the starters should play together for at least a half every game and try to get some team chemistry going. I'm all for letting everyone play, but the way it's being done right now, I think it will hurt us in the long run.

That said -- it's December. Still a good 2-3 months of basketball left. And games in November and December mean virtually nothing. It's what you do in February and March that matters.

Whitby doesn't run it up on folks. He just doesn't. If he's playing a team he knows he can beat by 50+, he plays everybody. And I don't mean that he plays the starters most of the first half, builds a big lead and then empties the bench. He goes 10-11 deep all night, sometimes platooning every four minutes, even starting people that ordinarily would never start a game. I don't really understand it...personally, I think the starters should play together for at least a half every game and try to get some team chemistry going. I'm all for letting everyone play, but the way it's being done right now, I think it will hurt us in the long run.

That said -- it's December. Still a good 2-3 months of basketball left. And games in November and December mean virtually nothing. It's what you do in February and March that matters.

You are right bigwes, Whitby doesn't run up the score on people and I give him and any coach props for that. After all these are kids we are talking about. Please define for me the word starter as it relates to coach Whitby. I have been watching his teams ever since he arrived at LC and I haven't figured it out yet. In my opinion he has had one starter since he has been here. He graduated and is playing ball at Three Rivers. He started every game that I attended. No other player on his team can say that. Coach Whitby's win and loss record says he is a great coach. But my eyes tell me different. I have heard he tells certain players not to shoot the ball. And believe me some of these kids that he is telling this can certainly score. With the talent he has had since he has been here we should have done better in the post season, period. Clennon Dailey or Steve Speed could outcoach Whitby any day. I have never seen a team that did not have a fairly consistent starting lineup. I could be wrong about my observations and if i am wrong I hope someone, anyone could explain to me why Whitby does the things he does. Please explain these things to me LC fans:

1. Why no consistent starting line up?

2. Why no inside game?

3. Why tell a kid not to shoot when he clearly has the ability?

4. Please explain to me Whitby's coaching style as it relates to being a winner.

5. Name one other successful coach who has Whitby's philosophy(of course that

would require figuring out his philosophy which I defy anyone to do).

Let me bottom line this, it is my opinion that since Whitby has been at LC( I can't speak to what he did at OC) we have won because of talent NOT brilliant coaching.

That is my opinion, what is yours, especially LC fans.

Union City won't peak until they raise that Gold Ball in The Boro..Home of the Tornadoes....

I was around when Whitby was coaching at OC...One of the main beefs about him was he could win 25-30 games a year but fizzle out at tournament time...His teams at OC were always tournament ready in November,but you need to be tournament ready in March....

If the Siscos were coaching Lake County you would be defending state champions...Not Union City....

I am not going to comment on the defending state champions but i definitely agree that we would be better coached if that were the case.

I think Sep and Tony both handling the ball would be a big help..but the big men underneath isn't what I thought they might would be..Russel should get better as the season goes along and Springer should be better in a couple weeks..I'm worried about our fundamentals under the goal..hoping they know how to shift their feet and not just let someone just drive to the goal..If they do..then U.C. is going to just drive by for easy layups or we're going to have to have help and then thier man is going to be open or we're going to be called for a lot of fouls..I believe Lake Co will be all right in a few more weeks..They have a lot of athletes!

Hey bigster, you mention fundamentals, shifting your feet, Hmmm sounds like coaching. Hey I aint no coach but what used to drive me crazy last year was when one of our players would get a offensive rebound instead of going straight up with the shot he would take a dribble and then shoot. That dribble allowed the defense to get there and contest the shot. Again, I aint no coach but I would sit a kid EVERY time he did that until he got the point. I didn't see Whitby react to that style of play not even one time. Coaching, it does a team good.............

Well Said Spellerone,

I couldn't help but chuckle!

I have followed whitby since about 1990. And unless he only has 5 players that are any good. He doesn't run a starting 5 plain and simple. He constantly rotates.

1) I guess he fells like 10 starters that can rotate any position is better than 5. That said, if you have a consistant 5 and one gets hurt or subbed, than you have one weak person in the group and they loose their flow. Maybe that's his take.

2) Once again, historic whitby, he plays a heavy 3 pt game. Always has.

3)See answer to #2.

4)This isn't simple. a) whitby is very demanding of his players. :thumb: whitby trains his players well. You don't leave whitby's program not knowing how to play. c) and I think this is the biggest part: how whitby takes care of and treats his players after and before games. For a lot of our kids, whitby is the closest thing to a father they may ever see. He feeds them, clothes, drives them, tutors them, and makeds them realize they are people that can do something and be somebody.

5) Impossible I tell ya!! But, as you said, look at his record!

In closing, Whitby has always had talent, but a good coach has to make something of that talent, and whitby does it. When players stink we blame the coach, when they rock we call it talent.

Mightymac pretty well answered about the same as I'm thinking..Right now..it's the Channen Geanes show and if he misses or has a bad night ..so does Lake Co...Springer missed about 10 shots under the goal..we're missing layups..In Springer's case..I know the talent he has..He's only played two games..The inside game hasn't shown me anything yet!Right now...I'd have to go with U.C. as #1..followed by Humboldt and Lake Co..But ..Lake Co is winning...They only had 14 points at the half against Greenfield but came back with 23 in the 3rd period..so who knows..I've been saying all along that Lake Co will struggle until after Christmas..But..As bad as I have to admit..U.C. is the best team I've seen so far this year!

I went to the game against Fulton county and we missed several layups in that game. The Johnson kid impressed on the offensive boards but he missed the put back every time but I think once. That game was the first time I have ever seen him be that aggressive. If you are a post player or play down low on a Whitby team you better be an aggressive rebounder or you won't get to shoot much. That Russell Avery kid can shoot. Let that kid shoot the ball Whitby. His dad was a HOSS. Practically unstoppable in the post. I think version 2 is the better outside shooter. Hey aint no I in team or coach for that matter. Let everybody shine without fear.

Well Said Spellerone,

I couldn't help but chuckle!

I have followed whitby since about 1990. And unless he only has 5 players that are any good. He doesn't run a starting 5 plain and simple. He constantly rotates.

1) I guess he fells like 10 starters that can rotate any position is better than 5. That said, if you have a consistant 5 and one gets hurt or subbed, than you have one weak person in the group and they loose their flow. Maybe that's his take.

2) Once again, historic whitby, he plays a heavy 3 pt game. Always has.

3)See answer to #2.

4)This isn't simple. a) whitby is very demanding of his players. :thumb: whitby trains his players well. You don't leave whitby's program not knowing how to play. c) and I think this is the biggest part: how whitby takes care of and treats his players after and before games. For a lot of our kids, whitby is the closest thing to a father they may ever see. He feeds them, clothes, drives them, tutors them, and makeds them realize they are people that can do something and be somebody.

5) Impossible I tell ya!! But, as you said, look at his record!

In closing, Whitby has always had talent, but a good coach has to make something of that talent, and whitby does it. When players stink we blame the coach, when they rock we call it talent.

Thanks for the reply mightymac I respect your opinion...GO LC whether we win in spite of or because of and at this point I am going with the former and not the latter.................

You are right bigwes, Whitby doesn't run up the score on people and I give him and any coach props for that. After all these are kids we are talking about. Please define for me the word starter as it relates to coach Whitby. I have been watching his teams ever since he arrived at LC and I haven't figured it out yet. In my opinion he has had one starter since he has been here. He graduated and is playing ball at Three Rivers. He started every game that I attended. No other player on his team can say that. Coach Whitby's win and loss record says he is a great coach. But my eyes tell me different. I have heard he tells certain players not to shoot the ball. And believe me some of these kids that he is telling this can certainly score. With the talent he has had since he has been here we should have done better in the post season, period. Clennon Dailey or Steve Speed could outcoach Whitby any day. I have never seen a team that did not have a fairly consistent starting lineup. I could be wrong about my observations and if i am wrong I hope someone, anyone could explain to me why Whitby does the things he does. Please explain these things to me LC fans:

1. Why no consistent starting line up?

2. Why no inside game?

3. Why tell a kid not to shoot when he clearly has the ability?

4. Please explain to me Whitby's coaching style as it relates to being a winner.

5. Name one other successful coach who has Whitby's philosophy(of course that

would require figuring out his philosophy which I defy anyone to do).

Let me bottom line this, it is my opinion that since Whitby has been at LC( I can't speak to what he did at OC) we have won because of talent NOT brilliant coaching.

That is my opinion, what is yours, especially LC fans.

Iwonder on ?'s 2&3 if that has something to do with his own sons ability(he played for OC in the mid 80's if I remember before the 3 and would shoot the lights out on a nightly basis, he later played for the Hogs) and grooming him to be a scoring threat.

Edited by relocator

If Union City wanted to run the score up on Dresden,they would have scored 150...

And if you can beat a team by 50+ and you don't because you want to let everyone play,well that's just dumb....Beat the crap out of em,don't let em hang around,then play the rest of the guys....

Lake County didn't beat Dresden by more than they did because they couldn't....

I picked Union City to beat Humboldt last week by 10-15 points...They won by 13..Go look for yourselves...I think Union City will beat Lake County by 15-20 points...The only time Lake County could beat Union City last year was when UC had four starters suspended....70-47 in Tiptonville and 66-63 to end the Falcons season...I see a margin closer to the first meeting last year for Tuesday night...

UCDIDITAGAIN:

BUT...

Union City fans arrogance will not be a downfall to the team...Shane and his staff will not let that happen..If you notice in games when Union City is blowing the brakes off teams,Shane will call a time-out if his players get lazy with their defense,he will go nuts...He keeps the team grounded..He doesn't allow them to get hot doggish..They play tough in your face defense,they will move the ball inside if the opportunity arises or they will shoot the lights out if you give them space on the perimeter...They have 10 guys that can stroke it from 19'9" and you can't guard them all..Somebody playing defense will get lazy playing Union City and the Tornadoes will exploit it....You can have four guys busting their butts on defense but one won't and when Union City finds that player he will get lit up....

I'm not understanding your "happened alot the last 20 years" comment...Explain that one to me...