Union City-Humboldt-Lake County

I dont care how many people you got in the school,you can only put 5 players on the court at 1 time and a team dresses about 12.If you can play you can play,if you cant,then you cant.I always say that every school has a gym,basketball,outside courts,so start using it and maybe you will have better results.

You are right to a point chipper. But there is a mathematical matter you seem to totally discount in this argument you have made before. Lets say we have a coacht lotto. It takes one ticket to win. I have 244 pulls from the bucket and you have 445 pulls from the bucket. Who has the better chance of winning me or you. This is not to say who will always win just who has the better odds. The more students that you have the better your odds of getting potentially better players in larger numbers. It ain't voodoo it's statistical probability. That's real not imagined.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot you have to say as well. I'll speak for Lake County only. I don't think that the LC players or coach bellyache about having to play UC or Humboldt.

I think that some of our fans have been guilty of that. But as time has gone on there has been less and less of that. As far as that cockiness is concerned I think on the part of some UC fans perception is most definitely reality. No way would I ever say that the UC players or their coach are cocky. Confident yes. They work too way to hard for 32 minutes to be admiring their work. I agree that the fan's cockiness does not reflect on the team but it does reflect on those fans. That cockiness is surely a product of UC's success. Maybe calling it a byproduct of UC's success would be more appropiate. You know sorta like the byproduct of a good meal digested properly becomes.........rhymes with fit. Most people don't like that smell. Sometimes on coacht it stinks real bad. No need to get bent way out of shape over it though, I don't think. Even though at times I have had my moments.

I get over it though when I put things in perspective. Point taken on that Rolling. I think ya'll have about as many band members as we do students. I'm just playing oc. Hey when you get a hold on that district tournament bracket would you share with us less talented fans. :)

Record Holder

Group: CoachT+

Member No.: 49,348

Monday Nite Feb.12th @ 7:00 PM--Play In Games

South Fulton @ Greenfield

Gleason @ Halls

Thursday Nite Feb.15th @ 7:00 PM--Played At Higher Seeded Team

SF/G'Field Winner @ Union City

Trenton @ Bradford ??..Did Bradford end up 4th??..If not homecourt would be switched....

Gleason/Halls Winner @ Lake County

Dresden @ Humboldt

Ticket Prices Will be $4.00 For These Games........Ticket Prices Will Be $5.00 When The Tournament Moves To Dresden High School For The Semi-Finals...

Winners of the quarter-final match-ups will then move to Dresden High School for the semi-finals on Saturday Nite Feb.17th.....The 6:30PM game will be the bracket Union City is in which includes UC,Greenfield,South Fulton,Trenton and Halls.....The 8:00PM game will be the bracket Lake County is in which includes LC,Gleason,Halls,Humboldt and Dresden....

The consolation game will be played on Tuesday Nite Feb.20th at 6:30pm at Dresden...The championship game will follow at 8:00PM

Spellerone, well said. There is a definite number of students, and for classification one A I believe the cutt off is 499 students at the time of census. I am very likely to be wrong so I look for correction. Lake county has just under 200 students. I find it hard to believe that money would play a part in influencing the field of play other than the mindset. A "when you look good you feel good" type of thing. You can't pay for athleticism. And before it happens no one can mention recruiting. It happens everywhere and nowhere. The only other way I feel money can help is in the ability to hire and keep good coaching staff. Some schools can do this through the school board. Towns with a high tax base like Union City have the ability to do this and still provide their students with the educational materials they need for class. Schools with a lower tax base don't always have this luxury and must depend on their athletic clubs/boosters to make up the deficit required to keep the staff and coach from moving on to higher pay. In my opinion, if parents want a coach to make more money they should pay him through the athletic boosters. I feel that tradition is a HUGE part of any program but I feel it falls with the fans as well as students. Union City is very demanding of it's athletic departments. Other schools fans tend to be bandwagon fans. In union City, there is a deliberate pressure on the students to excel. I am afraid that in Lake County when a student doesn't excel they are ignored by the public as a whole. This is different than it used to be. I dont have a problem with Union City overstating their confidence. What rubs me wrong is when they do not make a distinction between CAN NOT be beat, and WILL NOT be beat. They are indead very different things. As for playing up a classification, I wish Lake County did more of it themselves. While I understand that in larger schools their are more students to harvest athletes from, but 1A or 5A there are only 5 basketball players per team on the court at a time. There is no reason why a 1A's five can't be better than a 5A's. Even if you have a lot of subs. UC is 1A and they have a bench action packed full of subs. I firmly believe that UC-LC-Hbolt could easily beat and have beaten many 2 and 3 A teams and I for one welcome the challange. If your team cant hang on quit crying and get back to practice.

I agree that in basketball we should play as many strong teams as possible. That can only make your team better. However, not the case in football when you have the numbers we do. Now back in the day when we use to play UC the AA version and Obion Central and Martin Westview it only made us better against our single A competition. But on the 25 players or so football teams we field now with maybe 14 starters one key injury can doom your season. That is why after coach Barger got here he had to drop UC and Obion Central. It had to happen. Numbers are huge in football. I have more but I better quit before the thread monitors spank me.. :)

you ask why the fans for the union city girls are not on the girls boards?? Well that is, what is there to say! we are not going to trash talk someone or some team because we are just proud of where we have come from!!!! We went from a no name team to a team that people talk about!!!!!! I think that the union city girls program is doing great, so why do we have to get on here and trash talk someone when are a happy about what we are doing!!!! And no the boys are not unbeatable in class A!!!!!!!!! It is like i have always said anybody can get beat on any given night!!!!!

Ok time to straighten up fellers, there is a lady in the house. Welcome emilyanne, I am now on my best behavior. Maybe you can teach some of those tornado fans some decorum. :)

Record Holder

Group: CoachT+

Member No.: 49,348

Monday Nite Feb.12th @ 7:00 PM--Play In Games

South Fulton @ Greenfield

Gleason @ Halls

Thursday Nite Feb.15th @ 7:00 PM--Played At Higher Seeded Team

SF/G'Field Winner @ Union City

Trenton @ Bradford ??..Did Bradford end up 4th??..If not homecourt would be switched....

Gleason/Halls Winner @ Lake County

Dresden @ Humboldt

Ticket Prices Will be $4.00 For These Games........Ticket Prices Will Be $5.00 When The Tournament Moves To Dresden High School For The Semi-Finals...

Winners of the quarter-final match-ups will then move to Dresden High School for the semi-finals on Saturday Nite Feb.17th.....The 6:30PM game will be the bracket Union City is in which includes UC,Greenfield,South Fulton,Trenton and Halls.....The 8:00PM game will be the bracket Lake County is in which includes LC,Gleason,Halls,Humboldt and Dresden....

The consolation game will be played on Tuesday Nite Feb.20th at 6:30pm at Dresden...The championship game will follow at 8:00PM

Thanks for the info Mrbig. I will now be printing selection.

I agree with a lot you have to say as well. I'll speak for Lake County only. I don't think that the LC players or coach bellyache about having to play UC or Humboldt.

I think that some of our fans have been guilty of that. But as time has gone on there has been less and less of that. As far as that cockiness is concerned I think on the part of some UC fans perception is most definitely reality. No way would I ever say that the UC players or their coach are cocky. Confident yes. They work too way to hard for 32 minutes to be admiring their work. I agree that the fan's cockiness does not reflect on the team but it does reflect on those fans. That cockiness is surely a product of UC's success. Maybe calling it a byproduct of UC's success would be more appropiate. You know sorta like the byproduct of a good meal digested properly becomes.........rhymes with fit. Most people don't like that smell. Sometimes on coacht it stinks real bad. No need to get bent way out of shape over it though, I don't think. Even though at times I have had my moments.

I get over it though when I put things in perspective. Point taken on that Rolling. I think ya'll have about as many band members as we do students. I'm just playing oc. Hey when you get a hold on that district tournament bracket would you share with us less talented fans. :ph34r:

There was a thread about the district 14A "Playoffs" so I posted the brackets on that thread...Bigster,I see copied my post and pasted on this thread.....

The comment about UC's band having almost as many students as Lake County has students is not far from being true...Roughly half of the students at Union City are in the band....

I think the stuff that goes on here on the T is all in fun...I like to push buttons..Some people are very easy to rile up and that for some reason is funny to me....The people that post on here from Union City are very good people,they are not cocky when it comes to real life things...I bet if all of us were to get together we would all have a good time,even me and Greenfieldfan would probably get along...I think it was you that posted that fans talk up their team until they start losing.....That is exactly right,look at Humboldt fans,they have gone AWOL...But,i bet if they win the district or region and make it to Murfreesboro they will be back with a vengence...Your example about Middleton was dead on..Their fans have fallen off the map....

Edited by backinthaoc

I understand what your saying and I know this is all in fun on Coach T. I'm more into the girls game now since I have one playing. I didnt mean to get all worked up. If any of you Union City fans want to come by and visit I'll be glad to sit down and visit with you. I'm the old man that walks with a cane that's at all the Greenfield games and alot of the other games. I dont get around very good or I'd come over and look you'll up. See you at the tournaments.

PS Our boys program in Greenfield is down but I see us improving over the next 3-4 years. We have a good group of boys in Jr. High that will start contributing next year.

There was a thread about the district 14A "Playoffs" so I posted the brackets on that thread...Bigster,I see copied my post and pasted on this thread.....

The comment about UC's band having almost as many students as Lake County has students is not far from being true...Roughly half of the students at Union City are in the band....

I think the stuff that goes on here on the T is all in fun...I like to push buttons..Some people are very easy to rile up and that for some reason is funny to me....The people that post on here from Union City are very good people,they are not cocky when it comes to real life things...I bet if all of us were to get together we would all have a good time,even me and Greenfieldfan would probably get along...I think it was you that posted that fans talk up their team until they start losing.....That is exactly right,look at Humboldt fans,they have gone AWOL...But,i bet if they win the district or region and make it to Murfreesboro they will be back with a vengence...Your example about Middleton was dead on..Their fans have fallen off the map....

i get on here about every other day just to read things that are posted by you and everyone else...but my excuse for going "AWOL" is that i have better things to do than get on here and talk up my team...i get on here just for the big games such as last weeks game against lake co...that game was important...now im glad you love the tornadoes this year and post the play by play on here for everyone to see...but i, and maybe some of us, don't want to get on here and reply to that stuff...but if we win district and if we win region and if we make it to state then i will be on here congratulating humboldt...if not then i will congratulate them on a great season...just sorta pointless to post the play by play for every game and talk trash to the hardheaded union city people on here...nothing against yall but yall think yall are God and there's no reason in arguing with yall if ya don't listen...not trying to start anything but had to get that out

i get on here about every other day just to read things that are posted by you and everyone else...but my excuse for going "AWOL" is that i have better things to do than get on here and talk up my team...i get on here just for the big games such as last weeks game against lake co...that game was important...now im glad you love the tornadoes this year and post the play by play on here for everyone to see...but i, and maybe some of us, don't want to get on here and reply to that stuff...but if we win district and if we win region and if we make it to state then i will be on here congratulating humboldt...if not then i will congratulate them on a great season...just sorta pointless to post the play by play for every game and talk trash to the hardheaded union city people on here...nothing against yall but yall think yall are God and there's no reason in arguing with yall if ya don't listen...not trying to start anything but had to get that out

Right........AWOL.... :rolleyes:

Last year when your guys beat Union City three of four it was all Vikings all the time......

Nice try

Frankie there is not one Union City fan on here that thinks there team or themselves is God..Every Union City fan on here knows that Union City could get put out of the Region Tourny. by Lake Co. or Humboldt..Both of those teams are very good and have very good athletes..But when it comes to coaching i think Union City has the edge because i promise you no one thought before the season started that Union City would be ranked#1 in the state and 18-0 in the district..The players at Union City work very hard to put themselves where they are now and no matter what happens to Union City down the road in the turny's. they can hold their heads up for a great season..But you can bet that Union City will be ready for Humboldt or Lake Co. on any night.And if UC does get put out before state,Lake Co. would be the only team thay could do it in my eyes,not Humboldt because their is to many matchup problems their for Humboldt..I could be wrong but i will stick to my guns on that one..The most important game Humboldt will play in the turnys will be in the semis against Lake Co. in the district turny. because it will determine who will be in the same bracket as the #1 seed in the region turny..You better prepare prepare prepare!!

Frankie there is not one Union City fan on here that thinks there team or themselves is God..Every Union City fan on here knows that Union City could get put out of the Region Tourny. by Lake Co. or Humboldt..Both of those teams are very good and have very good athletes..But when it comes to coaching i think Union City has the edge because i promise you no one thought before the season started that Union City would be ranked#1 in the state and 18-0 in the district..The players at Union City work very hard to put themselves where they are now and no matter what happens to Union City down the road in the turny's. they can hold their heads up for a great season..But you can bet that Union City will be ready for Humboldt or Lake Co. on any night.And if UC does get put out before state,Lake Co. would be the only team thay could do it in my eyes,not Humboldt because their is to many matchup problems their for Humboldt..I could be wrong but i will stick to my guns on that one..The most important game Humboldt will play in the turnys will be in the semis against Lake Co. in the district turny. because it will determine who will be in the same bracket as the #1 seed in the region turny..You better prepare prepare prepare!!

humboldt was up on union city in humboldt...so there wasn't any match up problems then...only match up problem was between the vikings and the 4th quarter...lol they fell apart...but good post...im sure we are preparing...this coming thursday i believe is going to be a statement game against dresden...humboldt is going to have to come out and completely dominate the whole game, hopefully score at least 90-100 points, and win by 40...that's a huge goal to shoot for but they are able to do it with the depth and talent they have...im expecting that to happen with union city and lake co. against their opponents too...