2007 Region 6 1A

Big Bigby

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, everything said so far between mphstigers87 and I is extremely hypothetical. The previous two post hit the nail on the head, just to be clear. :lol:

But to answer his question, I would say the only one decent enough would be the Brown kid. He's no deep threat by any means, but has a good enough arm to hit Marco or the English kid or Houston for 10-20 yards. Also has stepped his game up and can scramble pretty good if he gets into trouble. Pretty quick if he's gotta go with it.

I'd say line the backfield 3-4 deep..power run..power run...and to mix that up with a good short route passing game with Marco involved in receiving(like what New Orleans is doing with Bush). Look out.

No one can stop mTp's power run, they just can't. :D

What say U?

If Brown was a proven QB I would say yes. However, MP brings back 90% of their team last year that went to the semi-final game and I think taking Marco (who won Mr. Football for those who have forgotten) out of the QB spot would just be a huge mistake. MP has another great shot at a state title and a huge change of position could be disasterous. If we're going to use NFL analogies, I would love to see Coach Smith leave Marco at QB and use him like Vince Young. The two other backs (Clifton and Stoops) have a year under their belt in last years offense, add spring football and fall practice under their belt and MP will really be lethal. MP lost a great reciever last year in Gaines and I think Brown could be a replacement for him. He could be like Drew Bennett for Vince Young. LOL. :lol:

I am not a Mount Pleasant fan, but i agree with some to just leave it to the coaches. If someone feels that Mount Pleasant will have to have a coaching philosophy change then take it up with the coaches. They may read this but they won't take it seriously unless there is someone in their office with good reasons as to why they think they should change some things.

As far as Mount Pleasant i don't think the problem is offense. Now i just look at stats on games but they didn't have a problem generating two hundred plus yards a game, it was holding the good opponents below three hundred that hurt them. Does Mount Pleasant have any good experience comming back on D? I think that is a more important key to taking another step than worrying about spreading the ball around....

Looking at the stats does give one the impression that MP wasn't very good defensively. I think some of that was due to the big leads we had during the season that allowed the younger players to get involved. In some ways I believe this hurt the 1st string D late in the year because they hadn't been tested enough and really hadn't played enough together. The best 11 athletes were able to get on the field together enough to jell together. Some of that would be attributed to injurys also.

Marco was too effective at QB to risk moving him anywhere else...sure someone might be able to throw him the ball...but I would want it in my best players hands as much as possible...I would look for one receiver for Marco to throw to once in a while...this would be enough of a wrinkle that teams couldn't stack the box...

No i am not #5 that played in 04. Iam just a fan trying to voice my opipion. That's all but i get sick of hearing people trying to coach from the stands and on hear people suggesting coach smith to change somthing. He is the coach and he has done a HECK of a JOB!SO LEAVE THE COAHING TO HIM. And all i was saying is that marco needs help mybe i jumped the gun saying what i did but i get like that sometimes.So if i offended anyone on hear all i can do is apologize and that's all.PS MP#1 :unsure:

Edited by bottomline

What was Marco's final numbers passing???... if he did very good passing too, then leave him at QB. But if he was basically a great runningback who faked a run and threw it 5 times a game........... well, then it would depend on if you had any other experience throwing the ball. Either way i would keep marco at QB for most games, and mabey see if anyone else can do it in the games where it is already over.

If Brown was a proven QB I would say yes. However, MP brings back 90% of their team last year that went to the semi-final game and I think taking Marco (who won Mr. Football for those who have forgotten) out of the QB spot would just be a huge mistake. MP has another great shot at a state title and a huge change of position could be disasterous. If we're going to use NFL analogies, I would love to see Coach Smith leave Marco at QB and use him like Vince Young. The two other backs (Clifton and Stoops) have a year under their belt in last years offense, add spring football and fall practice under their belt and MP will really be lethal. MP lost a great reciever last year in Gaines and I think Brown could be a replacement for him. He could be like Drew Bennett for Vince Young. LOL. :unsure:

vince only ran the ball 5 times a game usually.......but i remember last year, everybody was kinda freakin out when they saw they were puttin marco as qb, then everybody was really freaking out whenever giles county blew yall up, blaming the coaches for a bad move......seemed to work pretty good if ya ask me, bc u see the field better, or you could do like FCSprideatUT said, use him there part of the time. like arkansas did with mcfadden and jones, but theres still a qb that can throw.

Its pretty obvious who bottomline is. Every since he played his last season in 2004 all he's done is put down current players. I dont know where he gets his axe to grind but he and his posts are considered a joke by people close to the football program. Stoops and Clifton both had more yards and td's than he ever thought about getting but he was a good player. Maybe he's jealous of Stoops being more productive wearing that #5 than he was.

I talked to #5 from 2004 today and let him know your thoughts. #5 of 2004 said to get your facts straight on who you are talking about when posting. He never post on here because they do not have inter-net at home. He didn't appreciate you implicating him on putting down other players and slandering his reputation as a team guy. He said he wouldn't down talk other players for any reason,,just not his style. I told him I thought it was just a misunderstanding. He said apparently you know him and if you needed to clarify anything to look him up and clarify it.

If Brown was a proven QB I would say yes. However, MP brings back 90% of their team last year that went to the semi-final game and I think taking Marco (who won Mr. Football for those who have forgotten) out of the QB spot would just be a huge mistake. MP has another great shot at a state title and a huge change of position could be disasterous. If we're going to use NFL analogies, I would love to see Coach Smith leave Marco at QB and use him like Vince Young. The two other backs (Clifton and Stoops) have a year under their belt in last years offense, add spring football and fall practice under their belt and MP will really be lethal. MP lost a great reciever last year in Gaines and I think Brown could be a replacement for him. He could be like Drew Bennett for Vince Young. LOL. :thumb:

I've watched the Brown kid since his freshman year QB'n in JV games. He could get better if he was allowed to. Don't really see him being a good receiver, could be wrong though. I see your point and agree. What Smith has been doing is working great and probably shouldn't be changed. Though I wouldn't say the change would be disastrous, both players are pretty familiar with the positions. I guess what my thought is, in what I'm trying to say, Marco touches the ball 95% of the time at QB but runs the ball 30-50% of the time as running QB. That leaves 50% of the time he's not involved, maybe passing to someone not as talented as him or handing off to a back that can't run like he does. This goes right AGAINST those who are saying make sure its in your best athletes hands as much as possible.

If you were to utilize him back at tailback he would still get the ball AS MUCH as he does at QB, if the coach wanted him too, and still have the great field of vision as a QB in the shotgun, but could also be a threat as a go to receiver( check down pass plays, 5 yard dump passes, motion out into 10 yard pass plays, motion out into hit'em quick in the backfield passes) to be an even bigger threat than just running with the ball from the shotgun QB position. Marco cannot throw to Marco despite what some believe.lol. This play style would be very confusing to defenses and still have the ball in his hands as much as last year if not MORE. Which is what I want. Other than just lining up at shotgun and the defense knowing that's where the threat is coming from and it becoming a game of stop #12. Which is a very hard thing to do.

Lastly, for those who might think people like me, that like discussing football is COACHING FROM THE STANDS. The first time I ever posted on here, I didn't take a coaches exam to have the right to talk about football on here. Did yall? This place is for FANS not COACHES to discuss their likes and dislikes about football or maybe just get on here to talk football strategies out of the love for the game. Nothing I say or any body else says on here is going to affect the outcome of what Smith does. Matter of fact if he does read, he probably just laughs like everyone else does, at people like me coming up with the thoughts we do. So lets chill out on jumping people for their thoughts on the game. Its a discussion folks,,,

NOTHING MORE. This is no different than what Terry, Howie, Boomer, or any other sports commentator does except they get paid for it. Their opinions do not change what coaches do,,, neither will ours. So chill... :thumb:

Besides, it just gives football fanatics like myself something to do until the real coaches take over in the fall. :ph34r::(

Edited by Big Bigby

A key point for a QB is turnovers? How many INT and fumbles did Marco have? I dont think it was many. Does MP want to hand the ball over to a new QB in a crucial situation? Or keep it in the hands of sombody who #1 knows what to do with and 2# will not turn it over. Being familiar with a spot and being in one with the game on the line is different animals.

There is no debate as to who will be QB for Mt. Pleasant in 2007. It will be Marco Dailey. I'm more concerned with who's going to replace Beau Butler, Drew Parson, Will Lanius, Devan Davenport, Christian Gaines, and the other seniors that will graduate. Parson, Lanius, and Davenport were 3 of the top linemen in the region. They will not be easily replaced. Gaines in his only year of varsity football was our top cover guy and possibly one of the top cover guys in the region. Who will be that guy in 2007? Butler was the leading tackler not just in number of tackles but also as the heart and soul of the defensive side of the ball. Is there one guy on this team that we can put that much responsibility on for 2007? Those are the questions that have to be answered for the Tigers in 2007. I hate to see all these negative posts as to who didnt get it done and who cant get it done. They only create unneeded controversy. Squabbling and second guessing of coaches breeds malcontent. Malcontent breeds losing. You can check back a few years for evidence of that. (0-10) Tery and Howie debate professional football that involves grown men making millions of dollars. Our team is made up of high school kids doing their best for their school and their hometown. These same kids read these posts. Please keep that in mind. There's many questions that will have to be answered in the coming days. (off season workouts, spring practice, summer passing league, and preseason practice) Who's the QB isnt one of them.