2007 Region 6 1A

Big Bigby

I am a die hard JCS fan...but even I wouldn't say we were in a class of our own...any championship team has to have some breaks...we got ours and some lucky bounces of the ball and yes we got a gold ball...but there were several teams who could have easily been there instead of us...FC played with us the whole game...could have easily gone either way...MP was loaded and had some early stops not have happened they could have captured the momentum and been in the title game instead of us...Lake County was seconds away from a win and a hail mary pass completion is all that sent us to the semi's...so we definately were fortunate...and not in some class of our own...

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only speak about what I saw with my own two eyes....Jackson Christian was very dominant in my opinion..

Let me say this also about these three teams that I do know a lot about.....

Mt Pleasant

Jo Byrns

Collinwood

All three are very good teams but honestly none of their coaches knows beans about defense...........all these coaches know is offense, offense, offense.......now they are all great at that but Jackson Christian won with really great defense.......friendship won that way also and both teams made it to the championship.........now i dont really believe that defense wins championships but if the other guy has one....you will most likely lose if the talent is fairly equal.

Mt Pleasant

Jo Byrns

Collinwood

All three are very good teams but honestly none of their coaches knows beans about defense

There defenses werent as good as jackson christians, but I wouldnt say their coaches doesnt know beans about defenses. I mean 2 out of the three made it to the quarterfinals and one to the semi finals. Ill let you try to figure out which teams were which.

...... as for FCS, they gave up zero to collinwood, which Jo Byrns gave up 30 to. I think Jo byrns got the label of BEST D in 1A because of their stretch of shut-outs mid-season.

here is some stats on FCS, JCS, Jo Byrns, and by Defense.

Points per game allowed (total points would be useless since some teams played more games.)

Jo Byrns 8.7

FCS 8.4

JCS 14.8

total yards allowed per game

Jo Byrns 159

FCS 185

JCS 230

O.K. By your figures JCS allowed the most points and the most most yards allowed per game all season of the three, but they still won the championship. Its not whether you have the best defense or offense but the best team that wins championships. mTp was close. Going by your calculations and applying that to mTp, they had 193 yards allowed per game and allowed 16 points per game. That's pretty close to JCS in points allowed per game and close to FCS in total yards per game. mTp allowed an avg. of 5.73 yards per plays, FCS allowed an avg.of 3.98 yards per play. That's only a difference of about 2 yards per play comparing I'd say the #1 defense in 1A, FCS, against the lesser defense of mTp as you would say. The numbers could be closer if mTp didn't defend 40 more rush plays than FCS. That puts mTp right in the mix of the top defenses in 1A I believe. :)

You take away the blowout game with Giles Co.(the 1st game this group of boys actually played together in)and the numbers get really close.

The same thing can be said about the CW/FCS game at the first of the year.

That's the first game I believe that CW used those backs starting with them. If you could have given them boys time to get it together(minus the 6-7 turnovers) and FCS played them towards the end of the year and it could have been a totally different ballgame. Might have to added about 200-300 more yards to FCS total. :)

Edited by Big Bigby

Big Bigby had coacht withdrawls. I see you got your plus membership!

:D:lol: LOL. You got it my friend. My lady friend swore she was going to send me to rehab. I'm thinking maybe she's right. I can't stop. This has been the most fun intellectually I've had in a while. Got a feeling business is fixing to slow down now though. :(

Come on cheap skates, pennie up and purchase your PLUS MEMBERSHIP asap.

I know you all couldn't stand me having the last word all summer long.poke.gif

Don't laugh to much mphstigerfan. Do you happen to know a good therapist?LOL. :ph34r:

Edited by Big Bigby

Someone told me we have scrimmages planned with Gordonsville, Mt. Pleasant, & Collinwood during the summer. I don't know if that's true, but if so, we should have a good gauge of where our program is at by the end of the summer. I think that will be three really tough teams next fall. We are also returning a very strong unit who started out 9-0 before losing a couple of tough games down the stretch. It should be an interesting season coming up!

• 3 weeks later...