Bledsoe Football

bchswar

I have never written on here before, but bear with me because some things need to be said by someone who has watched BCHS football since long before most of the people on this thread knew which end was which on the football field. I was there in the pouring rain in Sweetwater when Robert Sharp broke his ankle, there when Greg Swafford missed the kick against Meigs, when Johnny Harrison dropped the pass at Vonore, Gary Angel caught the pass against Marion, Houston Thomas fumbled against Loudon, Bart Myers had his jersey torn off going backwards in the endzone at Central, when Dickie Brown was ejected against Smith County. It is time people started giving the new coach the respect he has earned and deserves. The winningest coach in BCHS history came from within. Coach Roberson knows what it's like to wear the blue and gold and win the big games (caught the pass in '86 against Sequatchie). People on here bad mouthing him and the administration that hired him need to grow up. Coaches from other schools need to keep their opinions to themselves as I do not see Warrior Coaches bad mouthing their programs,which would be easy enough. And finally, those of you on here that never played and want to pretend to know something about the situation or the game itself, get real (and we all know which want to be coach I am referring to).Go Big Blue. Good luck Coach Roberson.

Warrior 4 Ever

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be completely off base here, but I thought the winningest coach in BCHS history was James Warden. He came to Pikeville as coach from Shelbyville and was coach for over 10 or 15 years.

I would also think that your last coach was probably close just because he was there for 10 or more years. I didn't think anyone else who had been coach there had lasted for more than 3 or 4 years. I would be interested in seeing some exact numbers on total wins if anybody up there has them.

Edited by oldkob

I may be completely off base here, but I thought the winningest coach in BCHS history was James Warden. He came to Pikeville as coach from Shelbyville and was coach for over 10 or 15 years.

I would also think that your last coach was probably close just because he was there for 10 or more years. I didn't think anyone else who had been coach there had lasted for more than 3 or 4 years. I would be interested in seeing some exact numbers on total wins if anybody up there has them.

Are you talking about Dickie Brown?

Are you talking about Dickie Brown?

No I am not talking about Dickie Brown. Although he had a few winning seasons, he was far from BCHS's winningest coach.

Jamie Warden did have several wins over a long period of time but was far from even having as many wins as losses.

John Swafford has by far the highest winning percentage and was the first coach to get past the first round of the playoffs, first coach to win 10 games, and first and still only coach to reach the quarter finals (loss to Loudon when the fumble occured that I referenced earlier).

And I have once again proven I was watching BCHS football before most people of the thread knew one end of the field from the other.

According to the TSSAA website, Bledsoe has reached the 2nd round of the play-offs 4 times, 83,86,95 and 98. They were a first round "quarter-finalist" back in the 70's but that was a first round loss. They may have been a "quarter-finalist" in 83 but the 2nd round is the 2nd round no matter what you call it, so Swafford is not the only coach do have done it.

Edited by oldkob

No I am not talking about Dickie Brown. Although he had a few winning seasons, he was far from BCHS's winningest coach.

Jamie Warden did have several wins over a long period of time but was far from even having as many wins as losses.

John Swafford has by far the highest winning percentage and was the first coach to get past the first round of the playoffs, first coach to win 10 games, and first and still only coach to reach the quarter finals (loss to Loudon when the fumble occured that I referenced earlier).

And I have once again proven I was watching BCHS football before most people of the thread knew one end of the field from the other.

I wasn't asking you if you was referring to Dickie Brown....I was asking oldkob....

Warrior4ever, You make some good points. First, I am going to say this I NEVER bad mouthed Coach Roberson. If you go back and read all MY posts you will see I said he deserves a shot. Do I think the hire was handled in a professional manner? No. Most schools, put a commitee together, Principal, school board member, teacher, booster club president, etc. Next, they take applications, interview, then choose who they feel is the BEST candidate to do the job. This has been my experience in 10 years of coaching. If this would have been done in Pikeville, I don't think you would see the complaining. Two coaches have been hired since Coach Brown left and ZERO interviews have been done and Zero times the job has been posted. That is the complaint. I feel bad for Coach Roberson, because in my opinion(which isn't woth much :( ), the administration put him in a tough spot. Even if he was the guy they knew they wanted, interview, go through the process, then name him coach. I have heard that the reason they did not open the job up was because no teaching slots were available. I know the problems there with small school systems but did Bledsoe have the teaching slots when Coach Brown was hired or Coach Boynton? That is my opinion, free country everyone has one, I have not tried to hide behind any screen names or make any accusations and if people want to talk face to face or on the phone about it or anything else, I will give my opinion again no hiding here.If you want to discuss my program,warrior4ever, let me know who YOU are and we will talk if you want to remain anonymous I understand :thumb: I want to restate I have not or will not badmouth Coach Roberson, I like him and think he is a good person, and if you go back I bet you can see where warrior2024 did nothing but say give him a chance. I am glad you have been a warrior supporter for years but please don't think that makes you the only one who knows about Bledsoe Co. Alot of guys bled Blue and Gold, left blood sweat and tears on the field and understand what the program means to the community. Whew, I got long winded, as usual, let me get of the soapbox and end by saying this I wish nothing but the best for Coach Hubert Roberson and Bledsoe County, my alma mater and the place where I still have MANY family and friends. Godd luck in 2007 and go Warriors B)

Edited by wardawg2038

Interesting.

Looking forward, those truely interested will spend time with action, regardless of their role. Fans, parents, students, etc...

"You carry on no matter what are the obstacles. You simply refuse to give up - and, when the going gets tough, you get tougher. And, you win." --

Vince Lombardi

when Dickie Brown left Bledsoe he was only a few games....4, 5 ...somewhere in there behind Mr. Warden.....and yes Mr. Warden is still the altime winningest coach at Bledsoe.....then its Coach Brown....they use to post the coaching records in the back of the home game programs....

I, for one, have never bashed a coach on this board. I have nothing but respect for Coach Roberson. His first year was my senior year. I hope he does well. I know he is in a tough situation but he is a true blue warrior and will do what is best for the kids. That is what most people forget about on this board is the players. It does not bode well to see adults bicker and complain about coaching, politics, ect and then expect it not to phase the young men in the program. I hope that Bledsoe can emerge as the Bully of the Valley that they are capable of being. Good Luck Hubert and lead those boys the way you know how.

warrior4ever, You made some good points and some of the people on this board need to get off of it...... I think you were referring to winning percentage not total wins. Mr Warden has the most wins and was the man who really started warrior football. Someone mentioned Mr Boynton having alot of wins they have proven they have no knowledge of bchs football because he only had 1 or 2 winning seasons. For the "child" who said the 2nd round is the 2nd round you need to shut-up before you prove you know nothing. When the 1983 team played and won the first round there were only 8 teams left. That is quarterfinals any way you cut it. The other teams played and won the first round and there were 16 teams left (not quarterfinals). There used to be less teams and back then were only 3 classes.

As I said Mr Warden basically started Warrior football but John Swafford put the town on the map. All of his teams would have made the play-offs under the current format and I dare say that they would have won at least the first round. But anyone who was around during that time also knows that he developed tremendous talent and then quit due to lack of administrative support.

I am like the ones who said that it wasn't necessarily who they hired but how they hired that bothers me. I only want to see bledsoe be the "Big Blue" once again not be the soft team that they have become. Mr Robertson is a good person but til he proves it not much different from the last coach, not very tough