The First 5x State Champion

In Hoc Signo Vinces

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the title says do we have any 5 time state champions this year? My thought is maybe, how old is little Mark Simpson fron MBA, could he be the greatest of the Simpson Clan?

This question , in fact the whole thread, is an order of magnitude dumber and more far fetched than asking if a particular NFL team is going to break the 1972 Dolphins record before the first game of the season. A better question would be to ask if there are any 8th graders who have the POTENTIAL to compete for a state title this year ? ( notice I didn't say win ) There may be a couple but even the casual observer will tell you it is a tough row to hoe. I think you can count the 9th graders who have won a state title on one hand and to my knowledge there has NEVER been an eight grade champ in TN. I am all for setting goals but do we really need to burden 8th graders ( or freshmen for that matter ) with all this nonsense about being multi time state champs before they have accomplished anything on the highschool level ?

This question , in fact the whole thread, is an order of magnitude dumber and more far fetched than asking if a particular NFL team is going to break the 1972 Dolphins record before the first game of the season. A better question would be to ask if there are any 8th graders who have the POTENTIAL to compete for a state title this year ? ( notice I didn't say win ) There may be a couple but even the casual observer will tell you it is a tough row to hoe. I think you can count the 9th graders who have won a state title on one hand and to my knowledge there has NEVER been an eight grade champ in TN. I am all for setting goals but do we really need to burden 8th graders ( or freshmen for that matter ) with all this nonsense about being multi time state champs before they have accomplished anything on the highschool level ?

Maj-

You are a wise man. When someone is working on their fourth as a junior then maybe you start thinking about it. To pick it as an eigth grader is ridiculous. Also, for a kid that age to get a whiff of this puts pressure on a young kid that he should not have.

Edited by mtnrasslin

We have a kid down here, Jason Luster, that if he was up at Baylor or McCallie would probably be a 5 time state champion. Some of the people on this board may have seen him at this year's Super32 were he beat 2 time Georgia state champion Kendall Albert and then lost to Ben Johnson 2 - 0. Jason is in the 7th grade.