PERRY COUNTY

Stat_pack1

Maybe so, but PC had 4 last year that are playing college football this year. Don't think there were any in boys basketball or baseball, so tell me who got the most attention?

Get your head out of the clouds. Not many 5A schools in this state have four guys get full rides. If we lived in Texas, that may be the case! It's not that football gets the most attention, but most college football teams don't cut like other sports do. If those four guys were honest, I would be willing to bet that some, if not all, of them are having to pay their way in college for the opportunity to be part of the team. If they had four guys getting a full ride, they may have had a better record againt 1A competition? Don't worry about the next level; just play as many sports as you can as well as you can.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your head out of the clouds. Not many 5A schools in this state have four guys get full rides. If we lived in Texas, that may be the case! It's not that football gets the most attention, but most college football teams don't cut like other sports do. If those four guys were honest, I would be willing to bet that some, if not all, of them are having to pay their way in college for the opportunity to be part of the team. If they had four guys getting a full ride, they may have had a better record againt 1A competition? Don't worry about the next level; just play as many sports as you can as well as you can.

I didn't say all 4 got full rides. I'm not sure exactly what 3 of them got. I know for a fact that Forrest White got a full ride to Austin Peay; the other 3 got scholarships of some sort. Even if they didn't get full rides, every little bit helps, don't you think?

I do agree with the part about playing as many sports as you can as well as you can; not necessarily to try to get a scholarship. The point is, some coaches not just at PC but at other schools as well try to discourage the kids from playing more than one sport and that is not right.

You should play football not on the fleeting hopes of landing a scholarship, but for the love of the game. The VAST majority will never put pads on again after that last Friday nite in their senior year.

That being said however, there are more athletic scholarships available in football than any other sport...far more. A limited nubmber in baseball (only the REAL baseball studs get full scholarships..most get partials) and a very small number each year in basketball.

If you are good enough, the scouts will find you. Hershel Walker played at a tiny high school; Heath Shuler's high school was small also. Granted, a few athletes will slip under the radar but in this age of technology not many. There are also many fine athletes playing their college football at Division 1AA & Division 2 schools. :rolleyes:

Good post, Yale. Gillioun, I hope you're reading this.

I didn't say all 4 got full rides. I'm not sure exactly what 3 of them got. I know for a fact that Forrest White got a full ride to Austin Peay; the other 3 got scholarships of some sort. Even if they didn't get full rides, every little bit helps, don't you think?

I do agree with the part about playing as many sports as you can as well as you can; not necessarily to try to get a scholarship. The point is, some coaches not just at PC but at other schools as well try to discourage the kids from playing more than one sport and that is not right.

Good post, Yale. Gillioun, I hope you're reading this.

Forrest was the only full ride, Brad & Calvin got partials at Bethel, Joey got a partial at North Alabama

• 2 months later...
I think we've got the community support...the stands were packed at every home game...until it got cold, anyway. :lol:

Not so sure about support from school admin., PC has been a basketball county for many years. I think the year we had this year helped a lot, nobody expected us to do as well as we did. And yes, we had some great guys on the team with a lot of heart, but I have to credit coaching for a lot of it. Let's not forget, Rice had almost the same bunch of guys the year before, and they didn't accomplish the things that this team did.

And by the way, my prediction for our best year is the 2010 season. That's when all those guys who won so many Jr Pro games will be juniors and seniors.

yea but wat a lot of ppl need to understand is that this is a whole new ballgame, u think our middle school will win a gold ball when they get up here just cause they did so well in middle school,middle school is in slow motion compared to tha high school level

• 2 weeks later...

Id like to say that TCA and Perry Co. play tues. May 15 at 4 pm, and if Perry Co. wants to get behind a program, they need to start right now by being a this scrimmage. Come support the kids, TCA is a good example. Over the years, TCA had some success and complete failures, 1-9 two years ago. It was a uphill climb. Then last year they broke the ice and went 9-3, TCA got a good coach in coach Hodum, and then allowed him to go out and get some great assistant coaches, who pushed the kids in the weight room and really boosted the schools' pride for their team.

I dont see why Perry Co. cant do the same, alot of post said Perry Co. was not as strong on the line as most other schools. Get those kids in the weight room, and make it fun for them to lift. Push them beyond what they think they can do, build up that strength. But most importantly... build up team spirit by getting behind this team May 15! Good luck Perry Co. the road is rough, but keep going strong.