5A Champions?

lastone2know

Local paper Daily News Journal states that the Smyrna Bulldogs are trying to get people to help fund the rings. Do all Championship teams do this? I thought it was up to each player to fund their ring?

LSmyrna football team on a quest for championship rings

By MEALAND RAGLAND-HUDGINS

mragland@dnj.com

— Mealand Ragland-Hudgins, 459-3868

SMYRNA — There's no better way to cap a championship season than having a ring to show for it, said Smyrna High football coach Phillip Shadowens.

Problem is, the Bulldogs need about 100 for the entire team and coaching staff. With rings expected to cost about $140 each, the Bulldogs need $15,000 to pay for them. Shadowens is asking the community to pitch in and help if they can.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I hate to ask at this time of year, but the bottom line is nobody helps pay for the rings," said Shadowens, who coached his team to a 35-14 victory over defending champs Ravenwood in the Class 5A BlueCross Bowl Dec. 2.

The coach said about 40 rings have been paid for from the football team's account and donations from individuals and businesses around town. Most of those to receive rings have already been sized, but the actual ring order won't be placed until after Christmas break, Shadowens said.

"It doesn't have to be a whole ring. It can be half a ring or just whatever they can give. It'll all be appreciated," he said.

County Commissioner Mike Sparks gave enough money to cover one ring.

"I wish I could have done more, but I have a small business," said Sparks, who owns MidTN Autos. "With thousands of alumni of Smyrna High School, maybe some of them will step up to the plate and commit to a ring, too."

Rings are being designed now and once the order is placed, it'll take six to eight weeks for them to come back, Shadowens said. Players and coaches will receive the rings in a ceremony in the school auditorium.

To help, call Shadowens or Smyrna High Principal Robert "Bud" Raikes at 904-3865. Donations may also be sent to Smyrna High School c/o Football, 100 Bulldog Drive, Smyrna, TN 37167.

The Rutherford County Commission will also honor the team for all its hard work during the season with a resolution at Thursday's meeting. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. on the second floor of the county courthouse on the Square in Murfreesboro. The public is invited to attend.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Local paper Daily News Journal states that the Smyrna Bulldogs are trying to get people to help fund the rings. Do all Championship teams do this? I thought it was up to each player to fund their ring?

LSmyrna football team on a quest for championship rings

By MEALAND RAGLAND-HUDGINS

mragland@dnj.com

— Mealand Ragland-Hudgins, 459-3868

SMYRNA — There's no better way to cap a championship season than having a ring to show for it, said Smyrna High football coach Phillip Shadowens.

Problem is, the Bulldogs need about 100 for the entire team and coaching staff. With rings expected to cost about $140 each, the Bulldogs need $15,000 to pay for them. Shadowens is asking the community to pitch in and help if they can.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I hate to ask at this time of year, but the bottom line is nobody helps pay for the rings," said Shadowens, who coached his team to a 35-14 victory over defending champs Ravenwood in the Class 5A BlueCross Bowl Dec. 2.

The coach said about 40 rings have been paid for from the football team's account and donations from individuals and businesses around town. Most of those to receive rings have already been sized, but the actual ring order won't be placed until after Christmas break, Shadowens said.

"It doesn't have to be a whole ring. It can be half a ring or just whatever they can give. It'll all be appreciated," he said.

County Commissioner Mike Sparks gave enough money to cover one ring.

"I wish I could have done more, but I have a small business," said Sparks, who owns MidTN Autos. "With thousands of alumni of Smyrna High School, maybe some of them will step up to the plate and commit to a ring, too."

Rings are being designed now and once the order is placed, it'll take six to eight weeks for them to come back, Shadowens said. Players and coaches will receive the rings in a ceremony in the school auditorium.

To help, call Shadowens or Smyrna High Principal Robert "Bud" Raikes at 904-3865. Donations may also be sent to Smyrna High School c/o Football, 100 Bulldog Drive, Smyrna, TN 37167.

The Rutherford County Commission will also honor the team for all its hard work during the season with a resolution at Thursday's meeting. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. on the second floor of the county courthouse on the Square in Murfreesboro. The public is invited to attend.

Some schools have more money than others.

with all the donations plus money from the school football fund rings are well on their way to being paid for

schools do it different but most of the folks I spoke with said they did what smyrna has done with a combination of donations, school football money and in some cases player fund raisers

a basic chamionship ring will be ordered and any player wanting to add or upgrade can pay extra

some will pay extra and upgrade instead of ordering a class ring

I know when Wilson Central won the AAA girls basketball title in 2006, the booster club made a public plea for funds to buy rings. Several big donations came in immediatey and the rest was raised over a period of two weeks. They put maybe 25-30 people in rings, as opposed to 100 or so for Smyrna football.

What has Riverdale and Maryville done through the years?

I am sure the folks of Smyrna will come through.

Congratulations wingman10 on 15000 posts! How do you do that by the way. I do not think I have peeked at thread you have not been on. Tell me the truth are your parents millionaires and you get to be on Coacht all the time? I am simply amazed at how often you are on here. Not coming down on you. I am just wondering. Not trying to make you mad or anything bo. :unsure:

they're only $140?

are they made out of plastic?

yea I luaghed to when the ring guy said "you wouldn't believe what some idiots in the past have payed for the same ring, but hey it helps their ego"

the plastic rings go to all teams that made the quarterfinals in 06 sort of a participation type thing what size will you be needing :lol:

Edited by 82cat

yea I luaghed to when the ring guy said "you wouldn't believe what some idiots in the past have payed for the same ring, but hey it helps their ego"

the plastic rings go to all teams that made the quarterfinals in 06 sort of a participation type thing what size will you be needing :D

oh snaaap :lol:

the plastic rings go to all teams that made the quarterfinals in 06 sort of a participation type thing what size will you be needing :ph34r:

yea, smyrna would know all about that from the nylon fiber rings they recieved from '04 and '05 as a commemorative "suvenior" from making it to the 2nd round!

its amazing how 82cat is so bold to start taking shots at riverdale now :lol::ph34r:

but on a more serious note, now that shadowens is the "Tennessee Titans High School Football Coach of the Year" and has recieved a $2000 check from Titans owner Bud Adams, does Shadowens still have smyrna players posing as Salvation Army santas ringing bells outside of Krogers? you think those purple and yellow kettles were fooling anybody? :lol::P

http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...NEWS03/61216006