5A Champions?

lastone2know

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the TSSAA not kick in any money? What about all the money made from the playoffs and Championship Games (Concessions,etc.), who gets all of that money?

GREAT POST!!!!! They (tssaa) should pay x amount of dollars to each team that wins it - toward thier rings. The tssaa made $850,000.00 this year off of the first 4 rounds alone. - Plus the $30,00.00 check from the T.V. station (presented to Sir Ronnie Carter during halftime of 5a game). That is $ 880,000.00 + the revenue from the Championship games. We are talking close to 1 million dollars here.... WHERE DOES IT ALL GO ??????? Certainly not back to the schools or the KIDS.

You need to learn to win, and lose, with class. There is nothing to be said other than Riverdale got beat by a team that wanted it more. It takes more than talking trash on the internet.

Sorry to be harsh but you've said enough already.

I couldnt agree more. Riverdale no one will say that you arent a good team. But the fact is that smyrna was better when it counted this season. Get over it, move on, and admit that smyrna deserves some respect this year. I dont get why riverdale fans say how great they are and take cheap shots at smyrna or any other team for that matter. A team of class doesnt have to speak because their actions are louder than words.

As for the rings I am sure Smyrna will find a way to pay for them. And I dont see anything wrong with them asking for donations. The kids deserve the rings no matter what it takes. The community will support them.

the support has been great!!

everyone wants to help in some way

hope it translates into more ad sales in 07 :( I have heard it will

one good thing about winning the state chamionship -- it is the ultimate trump card against any smack talk until the 1st game kicks off the next yr then it is gone.

you now can see what it feels like losing to a region team that goes on to win the state --- there is really not much you can say or risk looking like an idiot

now imagine this happening 9 times or so instead of just one and you get the idea

please keep sending ideas for games and I will make sure they are passed along

the support has been great!!

everyone wants to help in some way

hope it translates into more ad sales in 07 :( I have heard it will

one good thing about winning the state chamionship -- it is the ultimate trump card against any smack talk until the 1st game kicks off the next yr then it is gone.

you now can see what it feels like losing to a region team that goes on to win the state --- there is really not much you can say or risk looking like an idiot

now imagine this happening 9 times or so instead of just one and you get the idea

please keep sending ideas for games and I will make sure they are passed along

this may sound crazy but has anyone thought about contacting Nissan? A lot of smyrna residents work for Nissan. It would make sense, which doesnt mean that it will happen, that if people are in smyrna for Nissan then Nissan should be willing to help the people of smyrna and the kids who may go on to work for them. just a thought.

I still dont understand why the players or their parents cant come up w/ the $. If its that important for them to have a ring they should come up w/ the money & give it to them. I am sure most of them are spending more than the 100-200 on their kids for Christmas why cant they put it towards the ring? Guess they expect someone else to pick up this tab. If it is that important to the players let them earn it, but dont beg from the community that supported you throughout the season. Might just run the well dry.

Does the TSSAA not kick in any money? What about all the money made from the playoffs and Championship Games (Concessions,etc.), who gets all of that money?

Lawyers, Attorneys (see BA lawsuit), and TSSAA maintenance budget, other non-revenue producing sporting events. Remember the Spring Fling in Murfreesboro lost money. Football is the cash cow that pays into other area sports so they can exist.

I still dont understand why the players or their parents cant come up w/ the $. If its that important for them to have a ring they should come up w/ the money & give it to them. I am sure most of them are spending more than the 100-200 on their kids for Christmas why cant they put it towards the ring? Guess they expect someone else to pick up this tab. If it is that important to the players let them earn it, but dont beg from the community that supported you throughout the season. Might just run the well dry.

Most of the families in Smyrna are working class families and don't just have 100 - 200 extra dollars laying around. I think the boys deserve the rings and I also think the TSSAA should pay something for the rings for all of the champions, they represent TSSAA and follow the rules of TSSAA so why aren't they helping in some sort of way. In colleges the conference or governing body does set aside some funds for these kind of things. I will be sending in a $50 dollar donation to the Smyrna Football Booster Club to help and I will be watching to see if any of the Directors at TSSAA get a raise, if they do I will complain to every paper and radio show that will listen. Help the boys out, I heard that the TSSAA almost received $900,000.00 from the playoffs, T. V. , concessions,etc. Why couldn't they set aside money to help eight (8) teams with rings. The eight is the 3 classes in Division II and the 5 classes in Division I, they all pay fees/dues to be a part of TSSAA. Get off of the players backs for doing fund raising, as a matter of fact send a donation in, it is the time to give and help those less forunate.

Most of the families in Smyrna are working class families and don't just have 100 - 200 extra dollars laying around. I think the boys deserve the rings and I also think the TSSAA should pay something for the rings for all of the champions, they represent TSSAA and follow the rules of TSSAA so why aren't they helping in some sort of way. In colleges the conference or governing body does set aside some funds for these kind of things. I will be sending in a $50 dollar donation to the Smyrna Football Booster Club to help and I will be watching to see if any of the Directors at TSSAA get a raise, if they do I will complain to every paper and radio show that will listen. Help the boys out, I heard that the TSSAA almost received $900,000.00 from the playoffs, T. V. , concessions,etc. Why couldn't they set aside money to help eight (8) teams with rings. The eight is the 3 classes in Division II and the 5 classes in Division I, they all pay fees/dues to be a part of TSSAA. Get off of the players backs for doing fund raising, as a matter of fact send a donation in, it is the time to give and help those less forunate.

Who is to say they are less fortunate than I am...I would just say if it is a priority maybe they should spend the extra dollars that are being spent for Christmas on the rings (since they are so important) instead of asking others to come up w/ the $. Everybody looks for handouts why not teach them yes they earned it but they still have to pay if they want to show it off.

Edited by chargeher

Who is to say they are less fortunate than I am...I would just say if it is a priority maybe they should spend the extra dollars that are being spent for Christmans on the rings (since they are so important) instead of asking others to come up w/ the $. Everybody looks for handouts why not teach them yes they earned it but they still have to pay if they want to show it off.

Either you are going to give or you're not, either help or don't but don't bash them and say they are begging. They have paid, in July, August, September, October, and November, with their sweat and dedication. I hope you never need help with anything, ever. These are kids/students and like I said help them if you want, no one is twisting your arm. Are you jealous of what they have accomplished?

Where does the money go? The gate receipts are down close to 50% from when we had 5 classifications, expenses have increased (we now have 8 classifications) and in past years Spring Fling was very profitable for the TSSAA.

The TSSAA member schools need to take a close look at the finances and force some changes to be made. If the TSSAA would do the following things they could begin to turn the ugly financials around in short order:

1. Place D1 & D2 back together and have 4 classifications in football, basketball, and baseball. The "MERIT SYSTEM" must be used so that everyone is treated fairly.

2. Move the games out of Murfreesboro and play the 1A & 2A games at MBA. It's a great facility and could handle those two divisions. Work (pray) on using Vanderbilt for the 3A and 4A games.

3. Spring Fling needs to be in Chattanooga or Nashville. Chattanooga did a great job and the TSSAA made money.

4. Womens basketball should stay in Murfreesboro but the mens tournament should move to Vanderbilt. The crowds in Murfreesboro are no longer supporting the mens teams so go back to what once worked.

5. All individual sports (cross country, track, wrestling, tennis, etc...) should only have one division.

The last thing that needs to happen is for BA not to kill the TSSAA with legal fees as they will hurt all of the member schools.

Edited by cbg

Either you are going to give or you're not, either help or don't but don't bash them and say they are begging. They have paid, in July, August, September, October, and November, with their sweat and dedication. I hope you never need help with anything, ever. These are kids/students and like I said help them if you want, no one is twisting your arm. Are you jealous of what they have accomplished?

I have no reason to be jealous of what they accomplished..my only question has been does every team try to raise funds to pay for the rings or do the players and parents pay for them. It just seemed kind of strange to ask for money for an item that they won. If it is that important they should buy it. Yes they played well and yes the won so yes they should get a ring, the question is how do they get it?