Westview Tourn

sls

No one is defending Howard Beth's actions on here, but it seems that some of the Martin people (or at least one particular poster) is a little sensitive about the issue and bent on attacking Beth and anyone else that doesn't see things his way.

Bottom line ... the tournament is over and Westview won the title. And I fail to see how the article in question was disparaging of the Lions Club Tournament ... Beth issued his opinion, and he is entitled to it. Others can judge the veracity of it for themselves. Believe me, not everyone in western Kentucky (or Marshall County, for that matter) subscribes to Beth's point of view.

Edited by kentuckian

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the writer, who appears to be distraught by coming on a Tennessee message board to talk about Kentucky basketball ...

... One thing is for sure, Mr. Yates, you made a huge mistake in taking a meaningless tournament final, and turning it into a media zoo.

If someone came on a message board, posted an article I wrote and attacked my integrity and professionalism, I would want to respond, too.

You're the one that has chosen to make this personal. And it's pretty obvious as to which of you two has the more objective, unbiased viewpoint on the matter.

i don't have any problem with the article, it was fair and balanced. Beth was the culprit, not the reporter as he just reported what Beth said, even though he threw in a couple of opinions like "touch" foul etc which i don't mind a hometown reporter doing as long as it isn't blind to the errors of their team

i wasn't at the game so i am taking people stats they post on here and assuming they are at least close to correct and also a couple people i talked to:

why isn't it mentioned more about MC 19 second half turnovers or several missed FT's at the end that even allowed westview a chance?

if the refs or lion's club or westview had some kind of conspiracy, why was MC called for LESS fouls and thus shoot MORE free throws than westview for the game?

why didn't westview cry and whine about getting absolutely MC Hammered nearly everytime they took a shot the week before against MC when westview lost a five point 4th quarter lead?

why didn't westview tell MC that they would not be back to play them again in KY being as though the refs called in favor of MC?

and lastly, why does Beth think that he is bothering anyone down here when he says that his team "Will not be back?"

so stay up in kentucky where the competition is easier and your turnovers and missed FT can't cost you a game because you are so far ahead against inferior competetion that it won't matter

here is my answer to Marshall County's Coach Beth on coming to any more events down here ... "Your replacement is a phonecall away."

why didn't westview cry and whine about getting absolutely MC Hammered nearly everytime they took a shot the week before against MC when westview lost a five point 4th quarter lead?
I saw the game, and my most vivid memory is of Westview bricking a bunch of 3-pointers against Marshall's zone. I certainly don't remember them getting hammered on nearly every shot.

Marshall Co put themselves in that situation by a complete collapse in the 4th quarter.Dont know if the last shot was a foul,but u cant jump up and down and show up the referee.Thats a technical,showing up the referee.I asked another referee and he said that he wouldnt have called the technical.I dont think that she was doing it towards the ref,but i guess he thought that she was.Hard to call a T in that situation.

If what Beth said in his comments are true (which they probably are), you should be more concerned about getting schools to come to this venerable tournament. The field was very weak, and it doesn't appear it is going to get stronger anytime soon. But at least that way, the referees won't be forced into making "tough calls"

Sincerely,

Jason Yates

Mr. Yates,

First, I had to look up the word "venerable", so thank you for expanding my vocabulary!!! If you don't know the definition, the Lion's Club would not be offended.

Coach Beth, through his frustration I'm sure, made those comments. I hope he would feel differently after watching the tape. Yes, the technical was touchy, but the foul was far from it. I know, for a fact, that the Lion's Club has absolutly no problem fielding teams for this tournament. In fact, four of the teams in it are repeat participants. From talking to Mr. Hatler well before the tournament, I also know that they had to turn away several teams, two of which were from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. For the "not looking like the field is getting stronger anytime soon," I hope you spoke with one of the Lion's Club members before posting that.

I have read your retraction and all I really want to add is this. I know the tournament director and all the time he and the committee put in on the effort. This tournament was dying three years ago, but not anymore. As one poster has already mentioned, the tournament will go on next year.

As for your statement that the field was weak, my question is, if that is true, please explain to me a few things.

First, how does one of the best teams, regardless of classification, in the state of Kentucky come down here and struggle with a little single A school like Dresden, winning by only eight points? How is it that they only score 35 points against a Westview team that plays two freshman?

I will give you Kentucky men's basketball.............but not womens. In my 25+ years of basketball in West Tennessee, I have seen the best of Kentucky girls basketball travel south and struggle. The reason they do not come is not because of officiating, the teams here are just better. I don't think Randy Frazier or David Russell even have 750+ wins. That speaks volumes to me.

As for you article Mr. Yates, I did not find it offensive one bit. I thought you did a pretty good job of, not only painting the picture of the end of the game, but explaing how it even got to that point. I just hope the good people of Marshall County look at the stats of the game and realize, like Coach Beth said, that they should never have been in that position in the first place.

Keep up the good work in the Paducah Sun!!

I saw the game, and my most vivid memory is of Westview bricking a bunch of 3-pointers against Marshall's zone. I certainly don't remember them getting hammered on nearly every shot.

Westview has a good reputation down here in Tennessee...Probably a whole lot better reputation than the team they played from Kentucky in this tournament..Westview is known as a team that won't throw a fit when they lose and just walk off the floor...they are known as a powerhouse...you should feel PRIVELEDGED to be able to get the chance to play them :lol: seems to me like there may not be many teams up in Kentucky that are like Westview if you folks up there accept bad losers

Westview has a good reputation down here in Tennessee...Probably a whole lot better reputation than the team they played from Kentucky in this tournament..Westview is known as a team that won't throw a fit when they lose and just walk off the floor...they are known as a powerhouse...you should feel PRIVELEDGED to be able to get the chance to play them :lol: seems to me like there may not be many teams up in Kentucky that are like Westview if you folks up there accept bad losers

What the heck does that rambling post have to do with my assessment of the first Marshall-Westview game?