BA vs TSSAA

my2cents

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what legal precedent, rule, law, etc. they will be ruling on specifically since the US Supreme Court doesn't care about guilty/not guilty, but the rule of law and interpretation.

Sounds like we will all have an answer around summer time. Or they could send it back to an appellate court again. :)

Run that tab up Ronnie ... run it up! :)

I wonder what legal precedent, rule, law, etc. they will be ruling on specifically since the US Supreme Court doesn't care about guilty/not guilty, but the rule of law and interpretation.

Sounds like we will all have an answer around summer time. Or they could send it back to an appellate court again. :)

Run that tab up Ronnie ... run it up! :)

The appellate court already heard the case, decided in BA's favor, and denied a request by TSSAA for a rehearing. I guess this is the next step, but I do wonder what the case is about this time. Last time the Supreme Court decided it on a state inhibiting free speech basis. There must be some important principle of law they are interested in, as I can't believe that they would choose to act as arbiter in an undue influence accusation pertaininmg to high school athletics.

There must be some important principle of law they are interested in, as I can't believe that they would choose to act as arbiter in an undue influence accusation pertaininmg to high school athletics.

Exactly. There is a rule of law ... but once again, the wonderful Tennessean article this morning is void of any real substance and even alludes to the SC ruling on recruiting. Hmmmm .... I wonder if they let just anyone write articles for them. :thumb: The options are that the SC will rule and end the suit completely or they could rule and send it back to an appellate court again to be reviewed.

The Knoxville News Sentinel had an article on it today, as well. I found it interesting that the article said that lawsuit "alleges the TSSAA... restricts competition by placing most private schools in a seperate division because they offer financial aid"

This sounds, to me, more like they are challenging division 2 rather than a recruiting violation. This could bring things to a whole new level if this is so.

The Knoxville News Sentinel had an article on it today, as well. I found it interesting that the article said that lawsuit "alleges the TSSAA... restricts competition by placing most private schools in a seperate division because they offer financial aid"

This sounds, to me, more like they are challenging division 2 rather than a recruiting violation. This could bring things to a whole new level if this is so.

From my distanced opinion, there are 2 things in court that have rolled out. The first is BA's right to free speach. The second rolled out during all the appeals and that is the state actor rulings in which the TSSAA could not segregate teams into other divisions because of their state actor status. Thanks for the update from the Knox News ... that is probably what the ruling will focus on, the state actor status and the segregation of the private schools.

I need to see some of the documents. If BA is conceding

that a player cannot be given material things, but that a

coach can "speak" to a kid or family about attending a

school, then this horse has a different color that what

I thought it had.

Are BA's attorneys arguing that a coach can say "please

attend my private school," and that the tuition is free?

Or is the argument that a coach can ask a kid to attend

his school, but the kid has to pay his own way?

Why would BA be arguing that a coach should be allowed

to ask a kid to attend the coach's high school?

I need to see some of the documents. If BA is conceding

that a player cannot be given material things, but that a

coach can "speak" to a kid or family about attending a

school, then this horse has a different color that what

I thought it had.

Are BA's attorneys arguing that a coach can say "please

attend my private school," and that the tuition is free?

Or is the argument that a coach can ask a kid to attend

his school, but the kid has to pay his own way?

Why would BA be arguing that a coach should be allowed

to ask a kid to attend the coach's high school?

Wasn't the issue that the school felt they had the right to talk to/contact eighth-graders who had already declared that they were going to attend that school, ie BA?

Wasn't the issue that the school felt they had the right to talk to/contact eighth-graders who had already declared that they were going to attend that school, ie BA?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if they had already declared they were

going to BA, why would they need to be contacted?

Additionally, since they were already declared what would be the point in

a lawsuit?

As far as an invitation to a ball game.....declared...no problem.

I think there is more to this than the papers published.

The real issue is BA wants D2 abolished, so they can feed off the teams that

can't afford aid.