spring practice in january

db123

I know Dobyns Bennett has decided to have spring practice little bit early this year are any other schools doing this?

Most schools have more football players participate in the spring sports, primarily baseball and track, than they do basketball. By going early more of the football players can take part in spring practice than going later.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Schools have spring practice in in late January/early February because they generally have more kids in the spring sports (baseball, track) than they do in basketball simply because of the numbers that participate in those sports vs. basketball. Coaches can get more of their team out for spring practice during an early period, rather than a later period. They can get those spring sports kids involved before they go in to baseball or track.

Spring practice in early January makes alot of sense. The only athletes that you are not going to have are wrestlers & basketball players. Most wrestlers play on the defensive side of the ball and they are tough kids (state place winners are probably the most hard noised kids in the school) or they wouldn't be wrestling. You tell them what you want them to do and get out of their way. Basketball players tend to play the receiver positions or maybe a DB and they already have good hands and probably don't need Spring practice especially if your team does alot of passing league work in the Summer.

QB's & RB's tend to play baseball and run track so you would have them during the Spring.

It is a good idea to have it this early, but would it not be very very hard to find teams to scrimmage????

Maryville has been doing this since 2001 and I don't think they have had a scrimmage game the past 2 years. I am not sure if they have one scheduled this year or not. They usually scrimmage 3 times in the fall and I for one like the results at the end of the year.