AP POLL

FIREMANFRANK

The Associated Press' Top 10 teams in each of Tennessee's three Division I non-financial aid classifications and in the combined Division II financial aid classification as selected by Tennessee AP-member sportswriters and broadcasters. With first-place votes in parentheses, records through Jan. 8, total points based on 10 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 10th-place vote:

Class AAA Record Pts

1. Greeneville (2) 19-1 106

2. Whites Creek (3) 16-1 96

3. Raleigh-Egypt (7) 10-2 93

4. Oakland (1) 12-1 92

5. Antioch (1) 20-2 73

6. Riverdale 14-3 51

7. Bradley Central 15-3 44

8. Memphis Central 10-3 39

9. LaVergne 13-2 32

10. Clarksville 14-2 31

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Science Hill 30. 12, Farragut 16.

Class AA Record Pts

1. Liberty Magnet (11) 16-2 130

2. Pigeon Forge (2) 19-0 112

3. Knoxville Fulton (1) 15-0 86

4. David Lipscomb 15-2 76

5. Howard 13-1 75

6. Booker T. Washington 12-1 66

7. Austin-East 15-4 48

8. Jackson South Side 13-3 36

9. Brainerd 11-6 25

10. Seymour 13-4 20

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Unicoi County 16. 12, Pearl-Cohn 15. 13, East Ridge 13. 14, McNairy Central 12.

Class A Record Pts

1. Temple (9) 15-1 129

2. Union City (3) 16-3 123

3. Humboldt 12-5 75

4. Lake County 13-5 67

5. Grace Chr. (2) 15-0 61

6. Eagleville 9-3 46

7. Culleoka 13-5 30

8. Trinity Christian 11-4 29

9. Grace Bap. 9-4 27

(tie) Jackson County 13-5 27

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Friendship Christian 24. 12, Moore County 20. 13, Univ. School 17. 14, Richland 16. 15, Chatt. Sch. For Arts 15. 16, Westside 14.

Division II Record Pts

1. Brentwood Academy (11) 11-1 110

2. Briarcrest 13-3 93

3. MUS (1) 11-1 84

4. CBHS 13-3 73

5. McCallie 9-2 67

6. St. George's 10-2 66

7. Davidson Academy 8-1 39

8. St. Benedict 10-4 30

9. FACS 8-3 22

(tie) Father Ryan 7-10 22

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, BGA 21. 12, Pope John Paul 20. 13, MBA 18.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farragut beat Red Bank... twice.

I havent seen Greeneville play but i dont see how u can say they are the best in the East when they havent played everyone. i mean they never will play everyone but its hard to say when its just about halfway through the season. but saying they are the best by far.. is a stretch. to me atleast.

I think everyone agrees Greeneville isn't #1 in the state...however if you apply the "seven degrees of Greeneville" like so many of you are prone to then...here goes..

Oak Ridge beats Bradley Central but loses to Farragut

Farragut beats Oak Ridge and but loses to Powell

Powell beats Farragut but loses to Clinton

Clinton beats Farragut but loses to Greeneville.

Looks pretty stupid on paper doesn't it but this is the logic that is used by a lot of AP voters...and if we apply this to Bradley Central, nearly everyone in Knoxville is better, so why are they ranked so high?

Greeneville will be considered the best in the East until someone proves they aren't. I would imagine with the schedule they play the rest of the season its unlikely to happen.(no disrespect to the great Mr Wattad and the Toppers, but I think this year belongs to Greeneville again)

Whites Creek and Antioch would kill Greenville. In fact Wiggins is the only player that would start for either team, also inclde Raleigh and Oakland even Ridgeway. But Greenville ISthe Best from East Tn by far and are well coached

To say that Antioch would KILL Greeneville is absurd. They very well could, and maybe we will find out. However, at this point, they have one common opponent which was Dr. Michael Krop in the Arby's Classic. Greeneville lost by 16, while Antioch lost by 17. FWIW, it was reported that Wiggins suffered a finger to the eye(if I remember correctly) during this game, so his production was probably hindered somewhat from this.

As I said, you may be right, but your statement is a bit bold. I'll agree that Greeneville doesn't seem to win impressively, but they do win.

To say that Antioch would KILL Greeneville is absurd. They very well could, and maybe we will find out. However, at this point, they have one common opponent which was Dr. Michael Krop in the Arby's Classic. Greeneville lost by 16, while Antioch lost by 17. FWIW, it was reported that Wiggins suffered a finger to the eye(if I remember correctly) during this game, so his production was probably hindered somewhat from this.

As I said, you may be right, but your statement is a bit bold. I'll agree that Greeneville doesn't seem to win impressively, but they do win.

Over the past few years I have seen Greeneville lose by some fairly wide margins, but I have never seen anyone "kill" them. Hamilton beat them at state last year at state by 18 points but anyone watching will tell you they just kept fighting. Their defense held Hamilton to just 64 pts, the lowest post-season scoring effort for the Wildcats. Their tenacious trapping defense will keep them in nearly every game they play. I just wish Gash and Anderson were more consistant shooters.

I guess being from Rhea county you would know all about what a 2-6 team can do...what are they...like 5-13. Point is, Greeneville has Wiggins and he makes everyone else play better.

I am from rhea but not any more now i'm up in the tri cities so I have seen greeneville play several times this year and wiggins is the only thing greeneville has. Next year Greeneville will be just like rhea county with a losing record.

Rhea Co.[/url'>' post='826325998' date='Jan 9 2007 - 03:11 PM']

I am from rhea but not any more now i'm up in the tri cities so I have seen greeneville play several times this year and wiggins is the only thing greeneville has. Next year Greeneville will be just like rhea county with a losing record.

We'll see next year I guess...it has been a very long time since Greeneville has had a losing record...I don't see it happening with good feeder programs and good coaching in the IMAC.

anybody 2-6 could run Greeneville out of the gym the only thing that makes Greeneville in the top ten is Wiggins

Yeah and Michael Jordan made the Bulls Champions so what is your point?? I have watched them play a lot and I have yet to see Wiggins throw the ball in to Wiggins and Wiggins dribbles down court and throws a lob pass to Wiggins for the slam! The other boys on the court can play a little bit.

I'm not sure why having a great player on your team is a negative - sure, Greeneville is top ten because they have Wiggins...now that you have shown you have a keen grasp of the obvious, how about an intelligent comment regarding basketball...perhaps tell us any team (forget 2 - 6) that can run Greeeneville out of the gym...Bradley County? Nope, they lost by 15...Bearden...oops, went down by 10...Antioch? They lost to the same team that gave Greeneville their only loss, only Greeneville stayed in the game until late...or are we going to start hearing about how no one east of Nashville can play?

It's not negative thing. it's just went he scores half to alittle under half of the teams points most of the time. It will be interesting to see how greeneville will recover after he graduates

Oh no there are so teams that can play in east tennessee just not from northeast tennessee. And you are right there is hardly no teams east of Cumberland Plateau that can play except for a few from Konxville and the Chattanooga Area

Since you want to compare Greeneville to Antioch, Whites Creek, Oakland, Raleigh Egypt, and Riverdale

1. lets look at the teams that greeneville has played and that are good. OK Bradley, Breaden, P.K. Yonge and Krop

Now look at who Antioch has played that is good

McEachern GA, White County, Holy Cross La, McGavock, Franklin, Krop,Hillsboro, and tonight Whites Creek

Whites Creek- LaVergne, McEachern GA, McGavock, Hillsboro, and Antioch tonight.

Oakland-LaVergne,White County,Blackman, Huntsville, Huntsville Bulter, and Franklin County,

Raleigh Egypt- Liberty Tech, White Station, St Andrews RI, St Louis Vashon, Abraham Lincoln NY,Ridgeway, Briarcrest, and Memphis Overton

Riverdale-Franklin County, Shelbyville, McEachern, Gallatin, Cookeville, Christian Brothers, and Blackman

And Bradley is 7th, and not in the top six . I would love to see Bradley play Greeneville again, but it is not going to happen unless it is at state.

Now also notice in the top ten how many of those teams are from east tennessee. 2 Middle Tennessee- 6 and west- 2 Personally Raleigh Egypt should be number one

Edited by Rhea Co.

I think everyone agrees Greeneville isn't #1 in the state...however if you apply the "seven degrees of Greeneville" like so many of you are prone to then...here goes..

Oak Ridge beats Bradley Central but loses to Farragut

Farragut beats Oak Ridge and but loses to Powell

Powell beats Farragut but loses to Clinton

Clinton beats Farragut but loses to Greeneville.

Looks pretty stupid on paper doesn't it but this is the logic that is used by a lot of AP voters...and if we apply this to Bradley Central, nearly everyone in Knoxville is better, so why are they ranked so high?

Greeneville will be considered the best in the East until someone proves they aren't. I would imagine with the schedule they play the rest of the season its unlikely to happen.(no disrespect to the great Mr Wattad and the Toppers, but I think this year belongs to Greeneville again)

Farragut didnt lose to Clinton.

Farragut won by 29 the first game with Clinton's starters out then

in the second meeting with Clinton's starters Farragut won by 25.

Edited by ihavenofriendzz

Yeah and Michael Jordan made the Bulls Champions so what is your point?? I have watched them play a lot and I have yet to see Wiggins throw the ball in to Wiggins and Wiggins dribbles down court and throws a lob pass to Wiggins for the slam! The other boys on the court can play a little bit.

But Michael had Scottie Pippen, Bill Cartwright, Dennis Rodman, and not to mention they had Phil Jackson as the coach. It was not just Michael.

Edited by Rhea Co.

Oh no there are so teams that can play in east tennessee just not from northeast tennessee.

Since you want to compare Greeneville to Antioch, Whites Creek, Oakland, Raleigh Egypt, and Riverdale

1. lets look at the teams that greeneville has played and that are good. OK Bradley, Breaden, P.K. Yonge and Krop

Now look at who Antioch has played that is good

McEachern GA, White County, Holy Cross La, McGavock, Franklin, Krop,Hillsboro, and tonight Whites Creek

Whites Creek- LaVergne, McEachern GA, McGavock, Hillsboro, and Antioch tonight.

Oakland-LaVergne,White County,Blackman, Huntsville, Huntsville Bulter, and Franklin County,

Raleigh Egypt- Liberty Tech, White Station, St Andrews RI, St Louis Vashon, Abraham Lincoln NY,Ridgeway, Briarcrest, and Memphis Overton

Riverdale-Franklin County, Shelbyville, McEachern, Gallatin, Cookeville, Christian Brothers, and Blackman

And Bradley is 7th, and not in the top six . I would love to see Bradley play Greeneville again, but it is not going to happen unless it is at state.

Now also notice in the top ten how many of those teams are from east tennessee. 2 Middle Tennessee- 6 and west- 2 Personally Raleigh Egypt should be number one

Look Rhea, you are the one who started this little peeing match with your ludicrous 2-6 remark and since you "ain't from around here" I am gonna let that one go. But perhaps you should learn a bit more about them before you start talking about how they're gonna be next year. Our friend Roundballjunkie is alluding to the fact that there were those who predicted both BC and Bearden would ride roughshod over Greeneville this year...as far as Antioch is concerned, no doubt they play one of the most competitive schedules in the state...but they only have one opponent in common with Greeneville and that is Krop and both lost by similar margins. Perhaps if Greeneville played the kind of competitive schedule that Antioch plays, we wouldn't have to listen to the same old tune every year about how over-rated we are and how bad we are gonna be next year. We heard it last year and the year before that as well...We have been consistantly good for the past 5 or 6 years. Duncan is gaining the reputation for being a player's coach and attracting new talent into the area. Greeneville Middle School has been feeding the high school quality talent for some time now. The current freshman class was undefeated in middle school and 6'3" freshman Wesley Quarles is seeing Varsity minutes this year.

As far as Bradley Central is concerned, they seem to be having less success against teams the second time they play them, having lost recently to both Oak Ridge and Red Bank. Oglesby is as important to their game as Wiggins is to Greeneville and head to head, Wiggins has proved himself the better man.