true story, would like opinions

jeffjoe

I for one am very confused as to why a coach would say something like this. If you have spoken to the coach and he doesnt deny that he made the statements then i would definitely take it to the next level. However as a coach myself, i find it hard to believe that any coach would say that as we all want our players to play hard and play their best as it makes the "team" better. I am also aware of the "favoritism" that happens in some programs where a player is played above someone who is better than them just because he or she might be in a lower grade. As a parent, if i didn't get the correct answers that i felt not only i could live with but more importantly that was fair to my child i would just transfer the child out and let the coach compete against him/her. :lol:

I agree with Del. But i am only a parent. i would try to stay non confrontational and find out all the facts. if necessary, i would move and let the coach compete against her.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my child was told by her basketball coach, work as hard as you like in practice, do anything you want or can, BUT, during a game you are to HOLD BACK, and if you don't and if you OUT-PLAY any of my starting five in front of a gym full of people, I will put you on the BENCH and leave you there the rest of the season!!!! Keep in mind this an all A's student with NO behavior problems or so much as a complaint ever from either teachers or coach. Have spoken to the coach who dosen't deny comment but desen't offer explanation either.STUMPED and NEED ADVICE.

What is your child going to do? What are you going to do?

I would hope my daughter would play as hard as she can at all times.....no matter what.

I would talk to the AD and/or principal ASAP. Something else is going on and all sides of this story haven't been revealed. Let us know what happened.

You have already asked the coach. Does the coach have a child or relative on the team it would affect which should not matter. You play the best players you have. Sounds like someone else is running the team instead of the coach. I would take the information to the admistration of the school and let them know that you are going to the school board and the tssaa. There is know place for a coach like that. His best interest is not the players. sounds like a coach with no backbone.

Look back over the past years you have watched girls basketball. There is always a girl sitting on the bench that is better than one of the starters.

This comes down to who your parents are, who you know, and what your last name is. All coaches will tell you that they play the players that work the hardest at practice and hustle, but not many coaches play their players according to their hustle.

It happens all the time, and happened to me. A freshmen with a well known name came up and was put on varsity over me, a sophomore, even though the coach hadn't seen him play all summer. So i quit. That was completely the wrong decision on my part and i have to live with that every day.

Look at your high school program, this happens at every school and at every level.

my child was told by her basketball coach, work as hard as you like in practice, do anything you want or can, BUT, during a game you are to HOLD BACK, and if you don't and if you OUT-PLAY any of my starting five in front of a gym full of people, I will put you on the BENCH and leave you there the rest of the season!!!! Keep in mind this an all A's student with NO behavior problems or so much as a complaint ever from either teachers or coach. Have spoken to the coach who dosen't deny comment but desen't offer explanation either.STUMPED and NEED ADVICE.

My advice would be to bypass the coach, AD and TSSAA. Go directly to the Pope and ask for divine intervention.

JMHO, but as good as the advice you have already received.

Those darn coaches. Always willing to do something that makes it harder for them to win a game.

My advice would be to bypass the coach, AD and TSSAA. Go directly to the Pope and ask for divine intervention.

JMHO, but as good as the advice you have already received.

Those darn coaches. Always willing to do something that makes it harder for them to win a game.

Glad someone finds humor in this situation.

Edited by jeffjoe

Look back over the past years you have watched girls basketball. There is always a girl sitting on the bench that is better than one of the starters.

This comes down to who your parents are, who you know, and what your last name is. All coaches will tell you that they play the players that work the hardest at practice and hustle, but not many coaches play their players according to their hustle.

It happens all the time, and happened to me. A freshmen with a well known name came up and was put on varsity over me, a sophomore, even though the coach hadn't seen him play all summer. So i quit. That was completely the wrong decision on my part and i have to live with that every day.

Look at your high school program, this happens at every school and at every level.

I come from a small town and a very small school. I know exactly what you are saying, and it does happen. I would go to the local paper and let it be known what is going on. Bad PR will get everyone at the school's attention very quickly.

I come from a small town and a very small school. I know exactly what you are saying, and it does happen. I would go to the local paper and let it be known what is going on. Bad PR will get everyone at the school's attention very quickly.

Yeah and brand this poor girl as a troublemaker...I empathize with your problem, but really, the only thing you can really do is demand an explanation from the coach. A simple request to the AD for a meeting should do. If you are confrontational and demanding or choose to make this a public issue, you risk embarrassing your daughter or worse,placing her at the mercy of the other teenage girls who at that age can be positively carniverous.

You deserve an explanation for this coach's actions but use the chain of command and be discreet.

Take if from someone who has been there.......talking to the coach, AD, principal, school board or press can be a disaster, even if the coach is way out of line. I filed a formal complaint about a middle shcool basketball coach becauase he and the principal refused to adress the issue. I was encouraged to do so by other parents whose daughters had suffered at this coaches antics. I did this in a very professional manner and followed appropriate protocol. I was not confrontational but insisted that my issues be addressed. EVERYONE including the county school administration agreed that the coach was out of line and he was asked to resign. (Sounds good doesn't, but alas no happy ending).

My daughter was cut from both the basketball team and the softball team at the high school level. And everyone knew that she had been blacklisted, but when you are your friends are few and far between. And all those parents who wanted me to complain suddenly would not talk to me or my daughter anymore. My daughter was broken hearted that adults who she respected and thought were her friends suddenly weren't anymore. And I can't even begin to talk about the humiliation of being cut when you have been a starter and key player on every team you have ever played for (including some very successful travel teams). And yes we transfered to a school where my daughter has had signicant playing time since she was a freshman, was All State last year in softball and would have been able to play softball at the next level if she wanted to.

SOOOO think long and hard before you complain. Even though she has learned a lot about the real world from this situation my daughter will tell you sometimes its better suffer in silence.