MBA

Footballfan15

Will Rutledge leave MBA? And if he does who is tops to replace him.

Jeff Rutledge has exited stage door right. An anouncement will be made later today. The Headmaster will hold a conference so the spot light is on him. Well, the spot light should be on him. What an idiot. Why do you fire a coach for interviewing at another school? If this is the case Headmaster, you should step aside as you yourself have interviewed for other jobs while still working at your present job, both now and in the past. What a hypocrite. Is this what MBA has stooped to? Your coach was so well thought of that he was interviewed for the head coach of the top football program in the state. This should be a compliment to MBA. Instead, you got all ruffled up and disposed of Coach Rutledge. This is the same Coach Rutledge that wears 2 Super Bowl Rings and a College National Championship ring. The Headmaster at MBA has once again proved his incompetence. How can a school do this? People interview for other positions all of the time while still on their present job. If this makes the Headmaster feel inferior for a coach to interview outside the MBA family, so be it. The stench you smell on West End is not coming from New York City or New Jersey, it is from the Headmaster on the Hill. MBA alums and fans should be outraged at this pathetic excuse of a Headmaster and demand action. If he is allowed to get away with this, don't be surprised when he does something to you!

If it smells like a punk, walks like a punk, smirks like a punk, and it acts like a punk, it is a PUNK.

I have to go, the wind is changing direction and blowing my way.

The G-MAN has done it again!!!!! It is public knowledge that as the present headmaster he has interviewed for the headmaster job at other schools but he is going to terminate a coach for doing the same. This man is out of control and has ZERO people skills. Everyone wanted to jump on Carlton Flatt and Brentwood Academy for the stunt that they pulled with Tom Moore but this bonehead move by the G-MAN even tops that.

There seems to be a pattern forming at Montgomery Bell Academy with both Ricky Bowers (alum & former coach) being pushed out the door and now Coach Rutledge being forced to leave. I have only ever been around Coach Rutledge one time but for a man to have won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP & 2 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS he was a very humble individual. His prep coaching accomplishments are second to no one and he was considered by most to be the best high school coach in Tennessee.

When someone hired a plane to fly over the graduation ceremonies at MBA pulling a banner that said Remember Your Past/Hire Mike Drake everyone should have known that all was not perfect in the ivory tower. I feel confident that the G-MAN will now go and hide behind the three board members that have been protecting him since he first walked onto the campus. What kind of propaganda will the Big Red Machine start to spread to protect not only their image but the image of their so called leader?

With Bowers gone & Rutledge now out of the way what high profile coach is next? Who will the coward target as a threat to his playground?

Gentleman Scholar Athlete: Which one of these does the headmaster represent? He has proven himself to be less that a gentlemen. The education he received must be great or MBA would not have hired him. Does he have the ability to run and chew gum at the same time? Should adminstration be expected to live by the same standards as the student body?

Is the brain trust @ MBA anything more than a group of men that rubber stamp everything that this child (I say child because that is how he conducts himself) wishes to do?

Should some of the alumni wakeup the echos and continue the early spring cleaning by removing the real problem at MBA?

Mr. Carter would turn over in his grave if he knew how this man was conducting himself.

Edited by cbg

Will Rutledge leave MBA? And if he does who is tops to replace him.

No ifs about it......here is the press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 10, 2007

MONTGOMERY BELL ACADEMY DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS AND HEAD FOOTBALL COACH JEFF RUTLEDGE TO STEP DOWN

Search Committee For Replacement To Be Assembled In The Coming Days

NASHVILLE, Tenn. B Montgomery Bell Academy (MBA) Headmaster Bradford Gioia announced today Director of Athletics and Head Football Coach Jeff Rutledge has resigned.

“As a school community, we wish Jeff and his family well,” said Gioia. “His contribution to the school has been significant, and we are appreciative of his time here.”

Prior to his arrival at MBA, Rutledge served as quarterbacks coach for the Vanderbilt University football program. As a player, he won national championships while playing quarterback at the University of Alabama. He went on to play for the Los Angeles Rams, New York Giants and Washington Redskins during his 14 seasons in the National Football League.

“The past five years at MBA have been a special experience,” said Rutledge. “Having a hand in developing these young men both on and off the football field is something that I will remember fondly no matter where my career leads me next."

“MBA will look ahead positively to filling both positions,” said Gioia. “We have incredibly supportive individuals both on and off this campus who know and care about the welfare, the education, and the athletic programs at our school.”

Redtwin, you are right...there is a lot of history here. Far more than just the "look what Gioia did" knee-jerk response we can expect on here (and elsewhere) for the next several weeks from people who don't know what they are talking about. There has been "grumbling" for a long time, from a lot of people whose credentials regarding MBA football are impeccable. I believe Redtwin either you or Big Red Dog noted as much very subtly at the beginning of the season, and you have been proven right. JR isn't resigning because he interviewed for the BA job. That is just silly. There are aspects of "how" he interviewed that may have pushed it over the top, but this was a long time coming.

Redtwin, you are right...there is a lot of history here. Far more than just the "look what Gioia did" knee-jerk response we can expect on here (and elsewhere) for the next several weeks from people who don't know what they are talking about. There has been "grumbling" for a long time, from a lot of people whose credentials regarding MBA football are impeccable. I believe Redtwin either you or Big Red Dog noted as much very subtly at the beginning of the season, and you have been proven right. JR isn't resigning because he interviewed for the BA job. That is just silly. There are aspects of "how" he interviewed that may have pushed it over the top, but this was a long time coming.

Did the G-Man tell everyone how, when, and where he was going to interview?

Did the G-Man allow Jeff the opportunity to tell his players & coaches before the school went public with the story like he said that he would?

It didn't take long for things to begin smelling bad so the BIG RED PROPAGANDA MACHINE must be spreading the manure.

Would this have ever happened under Mr. Francis Carter?

Edited by cbg

Did the G-Man tell everyone how, when, and where he was going to interview?

Did the G-Man allow Jeff the opportunity to tell his players & coaches before the school went public with the story like he said that he would?

It didn't take long for things to begin smelling bad so the BIG RED PROPAGANDA MACHINE must be spreading the manure.

Would this have ever happened under Mr. Francis Carter?

what "happened" that wouldn't have happened under Mr. Carter? What exactly did Gioia "do" that is so wrong? Do you honestly think that the reason he is leaving is because he interviewed for the BA job? Furthermore, do you honestly think Gioia would (or even can) make a decision like that on his own?

I swear, whatever it is with people like you and the Gioia bashing I will never understand. I'm just glad to be privy to the facts so I can truly appreciate how ridiculous you sound.

I can't say that I'm surprised by this. I have heard that this might be coming for awhile now. Let me assure you all that there is alot more going here than just Brad Gioia being mad at Jeff Rutledge for looking at BA. Furthermore, it is not all football related. I don't have enough information right now to say much more, but I will be talking to some people in the know this weekend about it. My thoughts on Gioia are this: Good guy, a little socially akward, smart guy, and a gentleman. At the same time, I cannot overlook the fact that he let Ricky Bowers, the best coach in the state and MBA alumnus, walk away. Under his watch great people like Edd Caudill, Damon Regen(alumnus), and Tom Weaver(alumnus) have also left or been asked to leave. I also cannot overlook the fact the he has applied for jobs elsewhere during his time at MBA, the McCallie job being one of those. To me, the thing keeping Gioia at MBA is his ability to raise money. He is an unbelievable fundraiser. He has also continued to improve MBA's facilities substantially(although, not always asthetically pleasing to some). These are just my opinions and surely, there is more to the story than this. I can tell you this: There is a sense of unrest in the MBA community and it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I can't say that I'm surprised by this. I have heard that this might be coming for awhile now. Let me assure you all that there is alot more going here than just Brad Gioia being mad at Jeff Rutledge for looking at BA. Furthermore, it is not all football related. I don't have enough information right now to say much more, but I will be talking to some people in the know this weekend about it. My thoughts on Gioia are this: Good guy, a little socially akward, smart guy, and a gentleman. At the same time, I cannot overlook the fact that he let Ricky Bowers, the best coach in the state and MBA alumnus, walk away. Under his watch great people like Edd Caudill, Damon Regen(alumnus), and Tom Weaver(alumnus) have also left or been asked to leave. I also cannot overlook the fact the he has applied for jobs elsewhere during his time at MBA, the McCallie job being one of those. To me, the thing keeping Gioia at MBA is his ability to raise money. He is an unbelievable fundraiser. He has also continued to improve MBA's facilities substantially(although, not always asthetically pleasing to some). These are just my opinions and surely, there is more to the story than this. I can tell you this: There is a sense of unrest in the MBA community and it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

that is a fair assessment of the situation. The guy isn't perfect and has done some questionable things. But why some people have this hatred of him--as evidenced by the posts on this thread--I will never understand. Any time I ever ask anyone of this bend for evidence, it's usually just "trust me, he's awful. Everyone hates him." Of course, if you ask anyone working there, they will say exactly the opposite.

I'm not sure how it went down with Tom Weaver....but he is a great, great man who worked tirelessly for that school and his job. To his credit, Gioia filled that job with another great man--Scott O'Neal--who is also an alum who loves the school and works tirelessly for it.