WC at MJ

worden55

I couldn't agree with you more Bates. What Chris has done is incredible to say the least. Having a team right now that how no starters from last year and is 16-1.

Now for Wilson Central... RETURNING their 3 headed monster of Hassle, Jenkins, and Williams and the "odds on favorite" to repeat as State Champs and currently 15-3 ... Oh!!! I'm sorry 15-2 since they are NOT recognizing their "loss" to Riverdale in the Hall of Fame game... Wouldn't it be great if we could all decide not to recognize a loss in a classic game. Does this mean Mt. Juliet can decide to NOT recognize their loss to Lexington Catholic? Ha Ha Ha

It is RATHER obvious to me WC is a Underachieving team. I mean with all the talent they have plus 2 transfers they should be undefeated but instead they have 3 losses, I'm sorry 2 losses, and a couple other close calls that could have gone the other way.

And it is ALSO Obvious that Chris gets the most out of his players, more than any other coach... Case in point MJ defeated Smyrna by 22 points and Smyrna beat Wilson Central by 6 points. How can this be????? Could it be the coaching, the players, or CHEMISTRY ? Has to be something... How do you explain this?

Would you say MJ under-achieved or over-achieved last year?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you say MJ under-achieved or over-achieved last year?

I don't think they over or under achieved. They had a better record than either team in the championship game. I know they went 1-3 against WC.

After loosing Ms Basketball from the year before, I don't think 29-6 is too bad. It's not over achieving though.

She played for Johnson and Butterball at the junior high, but they all run the same stuff. Fryer oversees it and the lower coaches run it. They have an actual "feeder" program! :lol:

Kellie Gassie did play for Coach Johnson as did Christian Gibson, Miaca Bowman, Rebecca Sharp, Jordan Nixon, Taylor Hall, Macie Gleaves, etc. My daughter played for Coach johnson in AAU several years ago and we've followed Mt. Juliet girls basketball ever since. He probably was running the same offense in summer ball too. The program extends from 6th graders to seniors and, in my estimation, the finest "program" in Tennessee. All the coaches work together and the results are obivious.

I couldn't agree with you more Bates. What Chris has done is incredible to say the least. Having a team right now that how no starters from last year and is 16-1.

Now for Wilson Central... RETURNING their 3 headed monster of Hassle, Jenkins, and Williams and the "odds on favorite" to repeat as State Champs and currently 15-3 ... Oh!!! I'm sorry 15-2 since they are NOT recognizing their "loss" to Riverdale in the Hall of Fame game... Wouldn't it be great if we could all decide not to recognize a loss in a classic game. Does this mean Mt. Juliet can decide to NOT recognize their loss to Lexington Catholic? Ha Ha Ha

It is RATHER obvious to me WC is a Underachieving team. I mean with all the talent they have plus 2 transfers they should be undefeated but instead they have 3 losses, I'm sorry 2 losses, and a couple other close calls that could have gone the other way.

And it is ALSO Obvious that Chris gets the most out of his players, more than any other coach... Case in point MJ defeated Smyrna by 22 points and Smyrna beat Wilson Central by 6 points. How can this be????? Could it be the coaching, the players, or CHEMISTRY ? Has to be something... How do you explain this?

If I counted correctly, and the records on CoachT.com are correct, MJ and Fryer are a whopping 142 - 20 over the last 5 seasons. How many schools anywhere can say that. Even Shelbyville, while recruting, didn't do much better than that during their best 5 year span. Fryer (and Johnson) have developed the best program in the state as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Bates Water Gardens

Burroghs wanted to come back after leaving and Fryer said he would leave it up to the players to decide if they wanted her back. The players voted "no". Now, MJ has much more chemistry this year. Go figure. Fryer is quiet possably the best coach in the state at developing guards. I have always said that Campbell was the best coach I had ever seen, any sport, any level. I still say that in his day he was. Bud is a good man and a good coach but he hasn't been able to develope the guards. He has always done a good job of getting the most out of the post players.

I'm not going to make a prediction because it could go either way. Even as much as 20 points. If it comes down to coaching, MJ will win big. Fryer has outcoached Brandon and Brandon many times. (mostly in developing his players)

Good sources say that it was going to be put to a team vote and then Fryer backed out and made the decision himself, saying no. Sources say he spoke with the seniors and everyone knows they said, "NO!" I wonder why......Burroghs started before them last year. :lol:

Had she been allowed to come back, the chemistry would be just as good at MJ and probably better. You know Fryer has second guessed that decision after Hall's unfortunate injury. :D

Sixteen year olds make mistakes and it is sad that Fryer couldn't be a better communicator with her during this misunderstood situation.

Good luck to both teams tomorrow night. It will be a great game to watch. Wish I could go. ;)

Good sources say that it was going to be put to a team vote and then Fryer backed out and made the decision himself, saying no. Sources say he spoke with the seniors and everyone knows they said, "NO!" I wonder why......Burroghs started before them last year. :D

Had she been allowed to come back, the chemistry would be just as good at MJ and probably better. You know Fryer has second guessed that decision after Hall's unfortunate injury. ;)

Sixteen year olds make mistakes and it is sad that Fryer couldn't be a better communicator with her during this misunderstood situation.

Good luck to both teams tomorrow night. It will be a great game to watch. Wish I could go. :lol:

I wouldn't miss it for anything. I claim to be MJ's #1 fan and I drive over 100 miles now to see them play. To make sure I get there in time, I'm taking off work early. I can't wait till it gets started!

Edited by Bates Water Gardens

Kellie Gassie did play for Coach Johnson as did Christian Gibson, Miaca Bowman, Rebecca Sharp, Jordan Nixon, Taylor Hall, Macie Gleaves, etc. My daughter played for Coach johnson in AAU several years ago and we've followed Mt. Juliet girls basketball ever since. He probably was running the same offense in summer ball too. The program extends from 6th graders to seniors and, in my estimation, the finest "program" in Tennessee. All the coaches work together and the results are obivious.

The system goes back even farther than that when you consider the West Wilson Basketball Association. Both of my daughters had a great time, and we have followed, played with, and played against Becca, Heather, Chelsea Bur., Taylor, Jordan, Megan, etc...Becca Sharpe had ice in her veins as she shot the winning free throws (no time on the clock!) to win the city champs back in the day...Go Rockets!

I also want to toss out for consideration in this special year for the Lady Bears the influence of Coach Sharp and Coach (Jennifer) Johnson!!!

Go Bears! :lol:

The system goes back even farther than that when you consider the West Wilson Basketball Association. Both of my daughters had a great time, and we have followed, played with, and played against Becca, Heather, Chelsea Bur., Taylor, Jordan, Megan, etc...Becca Sharpe had ice in her veins as she shot the winning free throws (no time on the clock!) to win the city champs back in the day...Go Rockets!

I also want to toss out for consideration in this special year for the Lady Bears the influence of Coach Sharp and Coach (Jennifer) Johnson!!!

Go Bears! :lol:

Jennifer (J.J.) Johnson was a special player for MJ. Her father is the coach of the middle school. If J.J. becomes as good of a coach as he is, she will be a wonderful asset to MJ, or be offered a coaching job somewhere where she will be effective.